HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Non-weight Exercises (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=826957)

ComradeChris 10-06-2010 11:02 PM

Non-weight Exercises

Best ways to increase explosiveness, shot power, speed, agility, quickness, core body strength, and unbelievable stickhandling. Help me out here fellas.

densetsu 10-06-2010 11:12 PM

One word: plyometrics.

Jarick 10-07-2010 07:45 AM

Jump squats, planks, pushups, pullups

ComradeChris 10-07-2010 08:33 PM

Thanks guys. Any other suggestions are also welcome. I got to go no weights for about a month until I can get membership to a gym. Then the real training can begin. :)

Jarick 10-08-2010 09:59 AM

Man I didn't even read the first post...best way to improve skating is to skate, to improve shooting is to shoot, to improve stickhandling is to stickhandle, and to improve passing is to pass.

The 150 pound scrawny 16 year old in the CHL can school 99% of hockey players in the world, and all they've ever done is play hockey.

GopherState 10-08-2010 03:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by densetsu (Post 28145190)
One word: plyometrics.

This...

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 28173481)
Man I didn't even read the first post...best way to improve skating is to skate, to improve shooting is to shoot, to improve stickhandling is to stickhandle, and to improve passing is to pass.

The 150 pound scrawny 16 year old in the CHL can school 99% of hockey players in the world, and all they've ever done is play hockey.

...and this. Plyometrics are great to work on explosive strength and agility, but in the end the best method to improve your skating, shot and stickhandling is to practice them.

predfan24 10-08-2010 04:48 PM

I have to say that if you are a beer league player who is limited to your time on ice to 1 or 2 games, not practices, a week and you feel like you have plateaued and you simply don't have the time to get the ice time you want Plyometrics and hitting the gym have worked great for me. I've increased my overall strength and endurance quite a bit and I can tell a huge difference on the ice. Obviously fitness is only going to work if it's supported by proper technique when performing hockey skills. You can be the most fit person in the world but if you can't skate, shoot, stickhandle and pass it's not going to make a difference.

Gino 14 10-09-2010 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jarick (Post 28173481)

And that would be great if we all had unlimited access to ice time, but for those that don't, there are options.