HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Sweden (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=56)
-   -   AHL or SEL (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=827012)

GoHomez 10-07-2010 02:45 AM

AHL or SEL

Another fall and another batch of swedes take the flight to seek their fortune in the NHL. As we all know, some make it but for the most part the training camp ends with a ticket to the AHL.

Their swedish clubs, along with some "hockey experts", hope they will return home for another season in the SEL. Yet other, mostly ex-players, think they should fight it through claiming a good season in the A is the best way to take a spot with the big club.

I guess I dont have to provide any links since you probably already read all about, but what do you guys think? And WHY?

Tomas W 10-07-2010 02:58 AM

Its too early to give up already at the start of the season. There is always injuries and stuff that will give you a chance in the NHL, given that you impress in the AHL. However, if the season continue and you are more or less forgotten by your NHL, team you should try to get traded to another NHL team, or to Europe.

It sad to see quality players like Jonas Andersson and Linus Omark in the farm leauges, hopefully they will get thier chance at some point. Otherwise its better for them to get back to Europe.

cosmicnavigator 10-07-2010 12:43 PM

Its better to stay and fight for a spot they younger guys give up way to fast now, AHL isnt worse then SEL and most of them would go to KHL anyway. Like a previous poster said injuries will happend and some will get called up most of them will play some NHL games this season.

KRM 10-07-2010 04:14 PM

Depends on who it is, I don't see any reason for Niklas Persson to stay but Omark should definitely ride out the storm and wait for his opportunity.

afrobomber11 10-07-2010 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KRM (Post 28156299)
Depends on who it is, I don't see any reason for Niklas Persson to stay but Omark should definitely ride out the storm and wait for his opportunity.

age factor?

Ribban 10-08-2010 12:12 PM

The way I see it is that every situation is different.
Most, if not all Swedish players, aren't hurt by playing some minor league hockey when they come over. In all honesty, Swedish hockey is very passive and apprehensive. The NA game, as you all know, is more about constant attack, a battle for every inch, both on offense and defense, to force the issue. The Swedes stay in their positions and wait for mistakes/hang on to the puck to keep possession and get the best possible shot at finishing.

Once you go from one extreme to the other, it takes a little adjustment, and having a chance to play major minutes in a lesser tempo, against a slightly lesser opponent, away from the microscope can't be anything but positive for a young guy.

The other side of the coin is that each "NHL club" is after all a franchise, much like a BK or a McD, right. They have to manage their assets and the balance sheet isn't dictaded by owner's equity and liabilities as much as a salaray cap, which isn't good or bad, it just is. As such, the best players might not get to play on the big club because some other player has a contract that can't be moved.

The Omark situation is a great example of this: Cogliano is an asset, but he really could benefit from some AHL time. The club cannot send him down to Oklahoma because of his contract though. He'd have to go through waivers, at what point the Oilers risk losing him for nothing. Not a smart move. As such, send Omark, who's on a two way contract, to the AHL for now, shop cogs and see if anybody bites, and move Omark up whenever possible. Considering how injury ridden Edmonton has been in the last couple of years, Edmonton might be thanking their lucky star that they have both Cogs and Omark towards the end of the season.

So, should Omark go home and play SEL now? In my book that would be crazy. He is on the team, but the Oilers want him to play major minutes under all circumstances, and the only way they can give it to him right now is in Oklahoma.

What about Omark going ahead of Hall, Eberle, or MP? Ladies and gents, season tix have been sold using these guys. Until the audience screams for one of them to be sent down, they are plalying. Otherwise, it would be like you were shown the preview of a new mob flick with DeNiro, Al Pacino, and Pesci (generation issue?) but when the show starts, they have been replaced by Susan Sarandon, Meryl Streep, and Tom Hanks... great line up, but not what you bought into.

A guy like Persson then? Different circumstances all toghther, don't waste your time. Go make some money and retire as you wish. Nothing wrong with that.

joe89 10-08-2010 02:57 PM

Change Elitserien to small ice surface NOW. Prospects can keep developing at home longer, our league stays better, more exciting and they get used to playing the hockey they need overseas. Then the NHL clubs really just have to focus on whether the player is good enough to make the team or not, and won't feel the urgency to bring them over just to place them in the minors to learn systems.

As for the players, it's their decision and they should know what benefits them the most, or they should look for another agent.

Ribban 10-13-2010 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joe89 (Post 28179168)
Change Elitserien to small ice surface NOW. Prospects can keep developing at home longer, our league stays better, more exciting and they get used to playing the hockey they need overseas. Then the NHL clubs really just have to focus on whether the player is good enough to make the team or not, and won't feel the urgency to bring them over just to place them in the minors to learn systems.

As for the players, it's their decision and they should know what benefits them the most, or they should look for another agent.

I agree with you in that the NHL teams would have a better read on their prospects' ability to play on small ice. However, I don't think the skill set and coaching in the SEL are to the NHL clubs' liking. So, until there is some sort of price to pay for bringing over a youngster from Europe the NHL will continue to do so, and then send the kids down into their own minor league affiliates (more control and better public interest story if/when the player makes the big club).

Please note that I am all for kids heading over to NA. Too many talented players stay around and never get a chance because of all sorts of stupid reasons (so-and-so's nephew, son, etc.). Might as well make an adventure out of it and head out in the world. Even if similar politics exists everywhere, you still have a bunch of interesting and new experiences that you can cherish for the rest of your life. Screw the SEL and HA :laugh:.