HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Blues Related Rumors (Drake, Osgood, Demitra, Hull, Wings, Kings, Canucks) (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=82723)

degroat* 06-08-2004 09:04 AM

Blues Related Rumors (Drake, Osgood, Demitra, Hull, Wings, Kings, Canucks)

Quote:

HadleyOnSports.com
DOUBLE D IN DETROIT: The most annoying rumor of the offseason has Dallas Drake headed back to the Motor City if the Blues fail to reach agreement with him before July 1.

Drake is one of the few players that raised his game last season; the loss of Drake would be a tough blow. Considering that Scott Mellanby is likely to retire and the Mike Danton situation, the loss of Drake would be amplified as the Blues "team toughness" takes a precipitous drop.

BETWEEN THE PIPES: According to my sources, it's unlikely the St. Louis Blues will pickup the option on Chris Osgood.

Keep in mind; this is a two-year option, meaning if the Blues exercise the option, they're committed to Osgood for two years.

My sources indicate that if the Blues had to make a decision today... they would not bring Osgood back into the fold.

The question is do the Blues look outside the organization for a replacement.

While Reinhard Divis is the most seasoned netminder, the question is stability.

Many in the organization view Curtis Sanford as the best long-term option however his penchant for injury is worrisome.

My sources with the Los Angeles Kings and Vancouver Canucks indicated they would be interest in Osgood.

FREE AGENTS: With Craig Conroy likely to remain in Calgary, and Brendan Shanahan likely to re-up in Detroit (based sources in the Motor City) don't expect the Blues to be too active in three-plus weeks.

Once the free agent market opens in July, the Blues will attempt to lure Brett Hull home with an eye for bargains (another winger and serviceable veteran defenseman).

Sources indicate that any major moves aside from Hull will come via trade.

As mentioned previously, the payroll will be reduced roughly 20 to 25 percent. While many forecast gloom and doom based on payroll, keep in mind, that with Jeff Finley, Murray Baron, Al MacInnis, and Scott Mellanby (unlikely to return) off the books, the payroll is reduced nearly 20 percent.

If the Blues ink Brett Hull and walk away from Pavol Demitra, another $3-plus million is saved. Simply stated, the 'Note can make the cuts and manipulate saving to remain competitive, the end of the world isn't near, however a new world that might not include Osgood, Demitra and maybe Doug Weight is about to dawn.

rikki05 06-08-2004 11:03 AM

why would the canucks want osgood? where did u hear this? osgood and cloutier are like the same goalie...if anything we want a proven vet or a young goalier with huge potential...yaya osgood won a cup with the wings back in the day but hes not the same goalie anymore! NO! :shakehead

degroat* 06-08-2004 11:12 AM

I think anyone that watched Osgood this year on a regular basis would disagree that he's not the same goaltender that he was with Detroit.

Fat Elvis 06-08-2004 11:31 AM

Great, just great. LA just doesn't get the whole goalie thing do they? LA would be better off with a lock-out imo

shadoz19 06-08-2004 11:32 AM

Osgood is like a lot of players I've seen. He comes out real strong in the first half of the season but dissappears in the second half.

Haven't heard any rumors on the radion or in the newspapers in Detroit that imply the wings are interested in Drake.

SabresRule 06-08-2004 11:49 AM

LA do not need Osgood. They need to ditch checkmanek, and get a proper goalie. Draft montoya. Deal for a bone fide goalie. or on the other hand ditch your assets and rebuild.

monster_bertuzzi 06-08-2004 01:08 PM

Yuck, Osgood can stay in Saint Lou.

Freezerburn 06-08-2004 01:22 PM

If the Blues walked away from Demitra, what teams would be interested in signing him? :dunno: One could assume they want him to sign for less.

The mitchrock 06-08-2004 01:26 PM

I'd rather see the Kings draft a goalie and dump Cechmanek and the gaping 5 hole. WSould like to see them re-sign Ziggy.

SabresRule 06-08-2004 02:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mitchrock
I'd rather see the Kings draft a goalie and dump Cechmanek and the gaping 5 hole. WSould like to see them re-sign Ziggy.

How much will Ziggy re-sign for? will ge be qualified?

jfont 06-08-2004 02:32 PM

osgood to the kings?

no thanks...

Calorissi 06-08-2004 02:50 PM

I think that the Sens would be interested in Demitra if he becomes available.
It would help remedy the worst trade in Ottawa Senators history imho.

RoyIsALegend* 06-08-2004 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by freezerburn
If the Blues walked away from Demitra, what teams would be interested in signing him? :dunno: One could assume they want him to sign for less.

Colorado.

Tommy Salo already left... if Peter Forsberg leaves to Sweden and Colorado's UFAs they don't want to keep do leave(Teemu Selanne, Matthew Barnaby, Bob Boughner), then they have $24 M in free salary. Some of it would be used to re-sign Paul Kariya and our RFAs(Milan Hejduk, Alex Tanguay, David Aebischer and Karlis Skrastins), but alot of it will still be left to fill holes. Pavol Demitra would be a nice pick-up in my mind.

Tanguay - Sakic - Hejduk
Kariya - Demitra - Konowalchuk/Svatos

Good top six.

Rails 06-08-2004 03:08 PM

Kariya would have to be resigned...he is Group VI UFA I think...

RoyIsALegend* 06-08-2004 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Harper
Kariya would have to be resigned...he is Group VI UFA I think...

Yes, I said that.

LaVal 06-08-2004 04:58 PM

Osgood is a very underrated goaltender... however i'd rather keep Cloutier.

slim399 06-08-2004 11:45 PM

i think the rangers would be interested in demitra. They are in a need of a center to play with jagr and i think demitra would fit well with him.

detredWINgs 06-08-2004 11:48 PM

Wings going for Drake? That sure should help our youth right? If he plays on the third or fourth line, doesn't cost a lot, and keeps up the gritty work, I wouldn't mind all that much. However, I would much rather have Knuble who we could get for about the same amount.

degroat* 06-09-2004 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by detredWINgs
However, I would much rather have Knuble who we could get for about the same amount.

:lol:

E = CH² 06-09-2004 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RoyIsALegend
Tanguay - Sakic - Hejduk
Kariya - Demitra - Konowalchuk/Svatos

Good top six.

Good top six but don't you think it lacks a bit of size, grit and toughness for the playoffs ? Especially if you have Forsberg leaving ?

RoyIsALegend* 06-09-2004 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by E = CH²
Good top six but don't you think it lacks a bit of size, grit and toughness for the playoffs ? Especially if you have Forsberg leaving ?

No... why would it?

We've won a Stanley Cup without any 'power forwards' and I think it's the most overrated ingredient on a team ever imaginable. The JAM line(Tanguay, Sakic, Hejduk) is a proven top unit in this league and we won the Cup in 2001 with them as our top unit. Steve Konowalchuk adds the grittiness and toughness to the second line, as well.

What people fail to realize is that even though our top 6 on forward would be fairly non-physical, Colorado has arguably the most physical third and fourth lines in the league, along with the defense corps. When you have Blake, Foote, Vaananen, Skrastins and Sauer on defense, they can be physically imposing and John-Michael Liles does not get pushed around.

The Avs have had a 'soft' top 6 for quite some time and it has never posed a problem.