HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Guerin to Atlanta proposal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=82727)

thrashers=cup05 06-08-2004 09:13 AM

Guerin to Atlanta proposal

Atlanta gives up this years second rounder and next years 3rd plus kurtis foster. Dallas eats 2mill a year and we get guerin.

shadoz19 06-08-2004 10:02 AM

All depends on how badly Dallas wants to get rid of his salary. I'm guessing no on that trade.

TwineSniper 06-08-2004 10:11 AM

so to put it different way....

To Atlanta
Bill Guerin
Dallas Pays $6 of remaining $25 Million

To Dallas
Kurtis Foster
2004 2nd Round Pick
2005 3rd Round Pick

I honestly think thats fair. Possibly a slight overpayment by Atlanta.

Takeo 06-08-2004 10:13 AM

Something like this actually seems feasible to me, although you might have to kick Dallas' contribution up to $9M.

Ajacied 06-08-2004 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The~Franchise
so to put it different way....

To Atlanta
Bill Guerin
Dallas Pays $6 of remaining $25 Million

To Dallas
Kurtis Foster
2004 2nd Round Pick
2005 3rd Round Pick

I honestly think thats fair. Possibly a slight overpayment by Atlanta.

With the Stars paying a fair chunk of his contract, Guerin will probably get an equal package in return as what Lang got, maybe slightly less. This isn't enticing for the Stars at all, there's nothing in there with good value. I rather deal Guerin for Amonte or another overpriced veteran than receive such .. well.. trash is a good word I guess..

The Frugal Gourmet 06-08-2004 12:16 PM

I'd take that deal in a second. It's way more than I expect Guerin to garner.

thrashers=cup05 06-08-2004 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modano = Dud
With the Stars paying a fair chunk of his contract, Guerin will probably get an equal package in return as what Lang got, maybe slightly less. This isn't enticing for the Stars at all, there's nothing in there with good value. I rather deal Guerin for Amonte or another overpriced veteran than receive such .. well.. trash is a good word I guess..

Two draft picks and a player who in a year or so can quarterback your powerplay is trash. I'm a garbage man and i know what trash is, that is not trash. Also, guerin is no lang, plus when lang was traded he was still in the hunt for the scoring race on pace for a career season and being traded to a vetren laden team. Guerin was recently injured and is moving toward the past his prime years.

rnyquist 06-08-2004 01:22 PM

not to mention Lang was dealt PRE CBA, meaning the wings could make one last push, but POST CBA, it may not be of any value for a club to deal anything worth while to get a guy who could take a big hit against the cap. If a deal goes down don't expect it to be done before the CBA is a whole lot clearer

Safir* 06-08-2004 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrashers=cup05
I'm a garbage man and i know what trash is, that is not trash.

Awesome! :lol:

I would love that Dallas picks up a little more salary and would offer our 1st as compensation. The question is, how much of Guerin's salaries payed by the Stars does equal Atlanta 1st (10th overall) pick in 2004?

Would Guerin even fit on the team?

Darth Milbury 06-08-2004 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Modano = Dud

Disagree. A 2nd and third rounder and a decent prospect is a lot to pay for a salary dump of this nature.

The deal is more than fair. In fact, it is overpayment by Atlanta.

Trottier 06-08-2004 06:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Darth Milbury
Disagree. A 2nd and third rounder and a decent prospect is a lot to pay for a salary dump of this nature.

The deal is more than fair. In fact, it is overpayment by Atlanta.

I agree. This isn't "your dad's NHL". ;) With very rare exception, a player's trade value is supremely compromised the moment he signs a significant ($/years) contact.

It is instructive for fans of teams to recognize that if a productive player like Guerin is put on the trade block, he is being moved for virtually one reason, and one reason only: to clear out payroll space. As such, the "traditional" way of evaluating trades - getting player value for player value - is out the window.

Is Bill Guerin at, say $3-4M a year, worth more than a couple of picks and a prospect? Absolutely. (Even in the current economic environment.)

At approx. $9M a season? He's a busine$$ liability. (His on-ice production has nothing to do with it.)

DownFromNJ 06-08-2004 07:46 PM

Atlanta isn't going to get a high priced player with possible raises to Kovalchuck and Heatley coming up.

btn 06-08-2004 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownFromNJ
Atlanta isn't going to get a high priced player with possible raises to Kovalchuck and Heatley coming up.

Not only that, but they also have plenty of other potentially pricey RFA's like Marc Savard and Andy Sutton.

While I expect the Thrashers to add some players, I do not expect them to grab someone in Guerin's price range.

capman29 06-08-2004 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thrashers=cup05
Atlanta gives up this years second rounder and next years 3rd plus kurtis foster. Dallas eats 2mill a year and we get guerin.

Foget what you want Attlant to give up, just explain why on earth would Attlanta want a over paid under producing player on their team that cost them 6.5 million dollars ?
Waiting for this answer and It has to be good.

Amen evil king 06-08-2004 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by capman29
Foget what you want Attlant to give up, just explain why on earth would Attlanta want a over paid under producing player on their team that cost them 6.5 million dollars ?
Waiting for this answer and It has to be good.

Hmm yeah, no thanks for me. I guess Guerin would be playing with Kovalchuk, and I could think of a lot of cheaper, more effective free agents to play with Ilya. A playmaking center would do more imo.

me2 06-08-2004 08:56 PM

I agree with Trotts and Darth. Guerin's salary is just a huge weight. $9m buys a lot ie if Dallas could trade Guerin + 2/y for those Foster, 2nd & 3rd, they could then go out and sign Murray. Murray+Foster+2nd+3rd and they are still saving money over Guerin, even after picking up $2-3m/y. If Dallas could just walk away from Guerin they probably would, the only thing that potentially gives Guerin any value at all is Dallas eating salary.

Lehtonen locks up goal, Kovalchuk + Heatley + Savard etc up front provide scoring. I'd think Atlanta might do better with a few more Dmen/and or lesser vets for the $6-8m Guerin might cost them.