HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Tampa Bay Lightning (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=27)
-   -   Prospect Info: Prospects & Minor League Teams Thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=827672)

Yzerplan 06-27-2009 10:38 PM

Prospects & Minor League Teams Thread

http://media.halton.topscms.com/imag...fe493b0a7.jpeg
Alex Hutchings, LW - Barrie Colts - OHL
“The biggest reason I’m here is my dedication,” said Hutchings. “You can’t be a guy who goes out partying. This is like a job. You have to take care of your body and get your rest. You need the right motivation and work ethic.”
  • As a 16 year old in 2007-08, he led the team in goals and points with 29 G and 54 P in 68 GP
  • As a 17 year old in 2008-09, he led the team with in goals, assists and points with 34 G, 34 A and 68 P in 63 G
This kid doesn't turn 18 till November...seems like quite an impressive young player we've picked up here.

I remember reading about this kid earlier this season...I just didn't remember the name, until I just brought up this article on Hutchings HF published from March.

Anyone else with any info, insight or anything on Hutchings, feel free to share.

TheDaysOf 04 06-28-2009 06:10 AM

Boltprospects
Quote:

Thievery. That's how we feel about getting Alex Hutchings in the fourth round. Pure thievery. We wouldn't have blinked if the Lightning took him in the second round, so the fact he's slipped this far is very exciting. Hutchings is one of the best skaters in the OHL and he is intelligent with a high motor. He plays in all phases of the game, and for a little guy he's surprisingly willing to get his nose dirty along the wall. Hutchings has scoring line upside, and unlike Panik, he plays an honest enough game that he can also play on your lower lines if you need him to. Bottom line: the Lightning got a hockey player. Red Line compares Hutchings to Chris Kunitz.

Money quote from Brian Lawton tweeting from the draft, "Our Dir. of Amateur Scouting Jim Hammett was so excited about getting Hutchings he started drinking my pop on accident." If we were there, we'd be drinking Lawton's pop too.

Update:
Bonus money quote from Red Line, which rates Hutchings as the 14th most underrated prospect in this draft: "Skates well, scores a bunch of goals, plays hard, and sound in his own end. Yet no one seems to take much notice." In addition, Red Line ranks Hutchings as having the 12th best hockey sense in this draft class.

NHL.com

Quote:

Barrie head coach Marty Williamson:
“Alex has been a good leader for us this season; he has led us in points and plus/minus. He has been our go-to-guy all year long, he’s got exceptional speed, a great shot and he’s really worked on being a team player. He did everything for us this year; he also played in the All-Star game and the Top Prospects Game. He is working hard on his consistency and trying to be effective every game and every shift.”
Barrie's Hutchings Shows Great Promise In Draft Year

Hutchingsimpressing everyone with draft approaching

Draft Prospect Card

TBO
Quote:

He might not be the biggest guy out there, but you wouldn't know it by his mouth.

Get Alex Hutchings, the Lightning's fourth selection in the NHL entry draft yapping and he might not stop. He lists his favorite Web site as Facebook and the nickname given to him by his Barrie Colts teammates is Mouth.
Quote:

"I've known Stamkos a bit and it's neat that some guys from Ontario have been there … and I've played with Carter Ashton a little bit in the prospects game, so that's cool knowing a guy going into training camp. Obviously the city is nice and I'm thrilled to be drafted by the Tampa Bay Lightning."
http://www2.tbo.com/exposure/full/20...xhutchings.jpg

Savi 06-28-2009 04:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Hockey Hitman (Post 20114389)
This kid doesn't turn 18 till November

I thought you had to be 18 before September 15th to be draft eligible?

CSampson 06-28-2009 08:11 PM

Wow, good stuff. I really like what I see about this kid. Great pick for 93.

Maelmoor 06-29-2009 11:18 AM

International Scouting Services:
"Hutchings finished 3rd in voting for Best Skater in OHL Eastern Conference Coaches Poll. Displays good puck skills in the offensive zone knows when to hold on to it and when to pass to others in better position. Lack of strength is evident during 1 on 1 battles against bigger defenders. Has speed and skill required to take puck wide and beat defender off the rush. He has improved his offence totals in each of his 3 seasons in the OHL. During some games he is very quiet, then all of the sudden turn it on and become a real force."

Sounds truly good :handclap:

ViD 06-29-2009 12:20 PM

Any info on why he slipped this far?

bassassin 06-29-2009 02:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ViD (Post 20134729)
Any info on why he slipped this far?

Lawton has compromising photos of most other GMs, only valid explanation.

Going Back to Cally 01-22-2010 07:53 AM

2010-2011 - Prospects/Minor league Teams Thread (All prospect related info here)

With our prospect depth in goal that should end it here.

http://www.boltprospects.com/content...-career-sweden

sonny side up 01-22-2010 09:39 AM

that sucks.. i had high hopes for him

Shadeslayer813 01-22-2010 10:24 AM

Well this is a reason you never draft goalies in the 1st round

Off Center 01-22-2010 10:30 AM

if he looks good in sweden, we can still trade his rights to another NHL team for a pick or player though, no? there's no question he'd be back in the US if there's an NHL team willing to commit to him

Going Back to Cally 01-22-2010 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadeslayer813 (Post 23348346)

Or Europeans unless they are a top prospect in the draft.

LastoftheBrunnenG 01-22-2010 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadeslayer813 (Post 23348346)

What is the reason?

TheDaysOf 04 01-22-2010 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LastoftheBrunnenG (Post 23352966)
What is the reason?

because it is too big of a risk that they might not pan out. Goalies are probably the hardest to develop, and you just have a better chance with a forward or defensemen making it to the NHL even if they don't live up to their first round potential.

Bolt32 01-22-2010 03:26 PM

Quote:

What is the reason?

Agree with 04 above. Also though your just as likely to draft a starter from the 1st round than the later ones. Broduer-1st round Belfour-late rounder Hasek-late round/not picked. (Not sure which.)

Vasilevskiy 01-22-2010 03:29 PM

second goalie that goes to europe this season for us lol.

I've always been high on him... seems like he hasn't pan out.

The Fear Boners 01-22-2010 04:29 PM

Quote:

What is the reason?

Demoted to 3rd string, lack of playing time, supposedly "hit a wall in his development", says Raedar.

Doctor Drej 01-22-2010 06:15 PM

eh more time for Janus right now I guess.

LastoftheBrunnenG 01-22-2010 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheDaysOf 04 (Post 23353405)
because it is too big of a risk that they might not pan out. Goalies are probably the hardest to develop, and you just have a better chance with a forward or defensemen making it to the NHL even if they don't live up to their first round potential.

I was thinking about this topic, sort of, after seeing an ESPN mock draft with the Bucs taking a Safety @ #3, which is incredibly unusual. I remember my friends, who rooted for the Redskins, arguing over who to take in 2004 @ #5...S Sean Taylor or TE Kellen Winslow Jr.. The biggest argument against Taylor was YOU NEVER TAKE A SAFETY THAT HIGH!!! No evidence, just no one does that. It sort of reminded me of various passages in Moneyball where the old timer scouts would freak out when Billy Beane suggested drafting players on statistical merit and not on traditional "tools". I don't pretend to know the stats on this, but I was thinking about taking goalies in the 1st round and how it's much more common now then it was in the past (10-15 years ago?). Wasn't there only one or two ever taken in the 1st round until the last ten years?

Personally, I think the resistance to drafting goalies early is one of those things we just sort of believe, but don't have a lot of evidence for, since not enough attempts are made. While I agree with idea that forwards/defenseman contributing even if they don't fulfill their potential. You need 12 forwards and 6 defenseman vs. 2 goalies, so it's obvious that the threshold for playing the NHL is lower for skaters over goalies.

I'd would also submit that goalie is the most important player on the team. You aren't going to win without top goaltending.

So I've established that A) it's harder to make the NHL as a goalie because there are less jobs and B) only the best of those goalies are generally able to goaltend a team to glory. Seems to me that spending quality assets on goaltenders only makes sense and even after tempering that with the risk noted above, it's odd that we don't see more goalies taken in the 1st round.

My original reason for asking Shadeslayer is saying Helenius problems is not sufficient rationale for his statement. I wanted to make sure that's what he meant. If we'd have taken Varlamov how would you feel?

bassassin 01-22-2010 09:57 PM

IMO this isnt the last we (by we I mean the NHL) see of Riku, he is too good not to make it back. I mean if Denis or Holmqvist or whoever can make the NHL so can Riku. Especially when he shows those flashes of brilliance in the AHL. Whether or not he makes it with Tampa I dont know given how good Janus and Tik look, but he deserves it, no one gets drafted that high, looks that good in the AHL and then does nothing in the NHL.

charms 01-22-2010 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bolt32 (Post 23353471)
Agree with 04 above. Also though your just as likely to draft a starter from the 1st round than the later ones. Broduer-1st round Belfour-late rounder Hasek-late round/not picked. (Not sure which.)

Belfour - undrafted
Hasek - late rounder

Bolt32 01-23-2010 01:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by charms (Post 23360379)
Belfour - undrafted
Hasek - late rounder

I knew both of them we either very late or not even picked. I wasn't to sure which and was to lazy to look it up, just going off the old memory bank. Thanks for clearing it up though.

The Fear Boners 01-23-2010 07:45 AM

I don't think this move really signifies anything other than he wants to go back home to get more playing time, and possibly, more money. He fell out of the graces of the new ownership, not surprisingly, but the kid has a great toolset although I think his guidance and development could have been handled better by the Feaster regime instead of his ECHL bounce-around.

At least his contract is on freeze in NA. We'll see what he can do.

CSampson 01-23-2010 10:41 AM

I hope Ramo comes back. Based off BP tweets he seems to be doing great.

Urgi 01-23-2010 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bobsled Gainey (Post 23362938)
I don't think this move really signifies anything other than he wants to go back home to get more playing time, and possibly, more money. He fell out of the graces of the new ownership, not surprisingly, but the kid has a great toolset although I think his guidance and development could have been handled better by the Feaster regime instead of his ECHL bounce-around.

At least his contract is on freeze in NA. We'll see what he can do.

He wont be making much money in Sodertalje, its a club with around 3400 specs/game and i thought they were out of money :innocent: