HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Mono (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=827684)

OilerNut* 10-08-2010 05:04 PM

Mono

So I just found out from my doctor today I have Mono. Reading online it says I should avoid contact sports for 3-4 weeks.

My doctor did a physical examination and didn't think my spleen was enlarged at all.

I play beer league hockey, and as you know even though it's a non hitting league, stuff still happens.

Anyone else had Mono before when playing hockey, and what did you do?

Gunnar Stahl 30 10-08-2010 05:14 PM

i wouldnt play. its a huge risk and you could spread it

budster 10-08-2010 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 (Post 28181530)

Yeah even if for no other reason than to be considerate of other players.

ponder 10-08-2010 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by budster (Post 28185258)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gunnar Stahl 30 (Post 28181530)

Yeah even if for no other reason than to be considerate of other players.

+1000000000, nothing more annoying than people who "power through" being really sick and still go to work/parties/etc. only to spread it to sh*tloads of other people.

funktasticblues93 10-08-2010 09:19 PM

I had it in highschool didn't couldn't play for a month. Had a teammate who had it, still played, ruptured his spleen. I would just take the time off, well worth it in the long run.

OilerNut* 10-08-2010 09:37 PM

I had already decided to take the time off, I was just wondering what other peoples experiences have been.

robmneilson 10-08-2010 10:02 PM

A friend of mine, and his girlfriend both got it this summer. They haven't played hockey at all since July probably...but I think they have a very bad case.

Id say sit it out a month or so and see how you feel.

OilerNut* 10-09-2010 10:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robmneilson (Post 28188466)
A friend of mine, and his girlfriend both got it this summer. They haven't played hockey at all since July probably...but I think they have a very bad case.

Id say sit it out a month or so and see how you feel.

It's odd how it effects different people. I felt sick with it for 2 weeks and even then just a very mild fever. Not really fatigued or any loss of appetite. Didn't lose a single pound.

Patchey* 10-10-2010 12:09 AM

I had mono three years ago, I had the symptoms for MONTHS and played, but it wasnt diagnosed until Feburary. The doctor was amazed I was able to play.

budster 10-10-2010 03:25 PM

In my above post I forget to tell I really think that sucks you got sick. If I had to go a few months without hockey I would probably cry myself to sleep every night. Sorry dude.

Jarick 10-11-2010 07:41 AM

Don't push it, you're sick, and your body needs to rest and recover. Unless you want to risk permanent damage or be sick for months on end, let the body kick mono to the curb. When you feel better and the doctor gives the okay, start getting a little more active by going on walks, and as your health dictates, work your way back into it. But don't just rush into it or you're asking for trouble.

mbeam 10-11-2010 12:17 PM

I had it over christmas this year and tried to play at the tail end of the sickness. It was just drop in and my spleen wasn't enlarged but afterwards I had the worst pain in my abdomen - I'm pretty sure just playing made my spleen swollen and I thought it was going to burst. I ended up throwing up for a long time after that just because it happened to relieve some of the pain.

I wouldn't suggest it.

gintonic 10-13-2010 01:43 PM

I had it 10+ years ago during a season and had to miss a month. It wasn't just the spleen issue, it took a long time to get enough strength back to play a sport as strenuous as hockey. And then when I finally did return to playing, it took almost another month to get back to the level I was at before getting sick. Mono is a nasty nasty thing.

BrandNewDream 10-21-2010 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gintonic (Post 28281829)
I had it 10+ years ago during a season and had to miss a month. It wasn't just the spleen issue, it took a long time to get enough strength back to play a sport as strenuous as hockey. And then when I finally did return to playing, it took almost another month to get back to the level I was at before getting sick. Mono is a nasty nasty thing.

Same, and it's funny about your user name, bc I love G&Ts. But yeah, had it when I was 14 after a family member had it unknowingly. Got stuck in the hospital for 3 days, and didn't play for about 5 weeks. It was awful.

Blueland89 10-21-2010 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OilerNut (Post 28214823)
It's odd how it effects different people. I felt sick with it for 2 weeks and even then just a very mild fever. Not really fatigued or any loss of appetite. Didn't lose a single pound.

I know a dud wo got super skinny of having mono, gonna be he new hollywood craze