HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Will Tampa win it again? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=82777)

big_steve 06-08-2004 01:17 PM

Will Tampa win it again?

This Tampa Bay Lightning hockey club is awesome to say the least. I don't think you can get a better hockey team: they got lightning(pardon the pun) quick speed, an overall great offense, a great goalie, a good defense, a great penalty kill, and an awesome powerplay. What else can you say?

My question is of course, will Tampa Bay win the Stanley Cup again? I think they can as they have all the things I mentioned above and more. This is an awesome hockey club and I can easily see this hockey club building the first true dynasty since the Oilers in the 80's.

What do you think?

rwilson99 06-08-2004 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_steve
My question is of course, will Tampa Bay win the Stanley Cup again? I think they can as they have all the things I mentioned above and more. This is an awesome hockey club and I can easily see this hockey club building the first true dynasty since the Oilers in the 80's.

What do you think?

The core of the team is so young. Vinny and Brad are 24, and not even in their prime. Marty is only 28, Kubina is 25 or 26 and Fedotenko is in the same age range.

If cost certainty helps keeps teams together this team will be dangerous for a while.

The Frugal Gourmet 06-08-2004 01:25 PM

Winning it again is very possible, but don't be surprised if there are more ups and downs to come. Stanley Cups are just monumentally difficult to get in this day and age. So, it may just depend on getting that right set of circumstances and matchups again.

Hoek 06-08-2004 02:07 PM

They may not be able to put two in a row together but they should be able to make another Cup finals soon I would think at the very least. These kids have learned so fast it's almost scary. I think the only team that can really act as a roadblock to the Bolts is the Senators, but now with the confidence achieved from a Cup we should be able to get over their hex on us. For some reason the past couple of years their style has proven the perfect antidote to the Lightning.

Epsilon 06-08-2004 02:30 PM

Maybe in a couple of years.

Munchausen 06-08-2004 02:52 PM

There's no reason Tampa cannot be a legit contender for years to come. If Khabibulin stays sharp and they keep the core up front, with their great transition/fast paced game and gutsy offensive mindest, they should not only be a feared team but also a pretty exciting one to watch for a long time.

Blind Gardien 06-08-2004 03:04 PM

Quote:

This Tampa Bay Lightning hockey club is awesome to say the least. I don't think you can get a better hockey team: they got lightning(pardon the pun) quick speed, an overall great offense, a great goalie, a good defense, a great penalty kill, and an awesome powerplay. What else can you say?

And perhaps most importantly they have Tortorella and his staff. There isn't that much to choose between lineups in a lot of cities these days, but the coaching in Tampa was top notch and made the difference for them in their two close series. They instilled the mental discipline and resiliency that the Lightning consistently showed, and they unveiled new pages from a surprisingly adaptable and versatile gameplan at every critical moment.

Guest 06-08-2004 03:21 PM

I think Tampa will be a contender for years to come depending on how radically the resolved CBA changes the league. They have a core that would have competed for years regardless of winning the Cup. For many, it's not that surprising to see the Cup win because Tampa was one of the best up and coming teams in the league.

Tampa is the first team in a number of years to win the Cup with young talent emerging into stardom. Thinking back to all the teams who have won the Cup over the years, Colorado, New Jersey, Detroit, Dallas were all quite veteran ladden teams with young compliments whereas Tampa is a young player ladden team with older veteran compliments. I wouldn't say they are the next Edmonton Oilers, but them or the Pittsburgh Penguins are the only teams I can think of in the past 15 years to win in this fashion.

I'd love to see an Ottawa-Tampa Eastern Finals next season.

Schenn02 06-08-2004 03:23 PM

Nooooooooo...lol actually yes they will be contenders. Nobody saw it coming but the Lightning are the Stanley Cup champions...they will be here for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if they win another one or two or more or whatever within the next 10 years.

Ol' Dirty Chinaman* 06-08-2004 03:23 PM

They'll be contenders from now on in. Maybe they won't win it next year, but I can see then winning it again in the next 5 years.

2005-2006 SCF: Vancouver vs Tampa Bay :yo:

Ol' Dirty Chinaman* 06-08-2004 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BeLeafer87
Nooooooooo...lol actually yes they will be contenders. Nobody saw it coming but the Lightning are the Stanley Cup champions...they will be here for a while. I wouldn't be surprised if they win another one or two or more or whatever within the next 10 years.

They won their division and trailed by a point for the Presidents Trophy.

How can you NOT see TB coming ? I think most everybody knew TB had a very strong chance of coming out of the east.

Schenn02 06-08-2004 03:29 PM

What I mean is...people underestimates them (like me, at the beginning of the year), one of those reasons, they play in the SE division (and supposedly pick on their weaker opponents but I don't buy that). Yes I know they won their conference and finished second overall but even if you told me at the beginning of the year that Tampa would finish first in the East, I would be a little shocked. I'm not trying to put down their team because they are an amazing team and I congratulate them on winning.

So basically, I never saw it coming at the beginning of the year. I wouldn't have picked the Lightning to win the cup this year, I would have said in another 2 years or so.

John Flyers Fan 06-08-2004 03:31 PM

Quote:

What do you think?

As long as the CBA changes things to help Tampa, they should certainly be a major contender for years to come. Even if they can be kept together they are a long long way from becoming a dynasty.

If the CBA doesn't change things in a big way Tampa will not be able to keep their core players together and will suffer big time.

mdhockey211 06-08-2004 03:42 PM

they have a shot but

You cant forget about the other teams out there. The two biggest roadblocks facing Tampa's quest for another stanley cup are Ottawa and New Jersey. Heres why

Ottawa's core is still pretty scary. Theyll make a few changes, add some toughness and character. Plus i think Murray will light a fire under that team. Ottawa's only real question is goal and I think they will address it in the offseason.

NJ-Expect the devils to come back with some changes including some firepower up front and toughness on the blueline. Lamoriello is the best GM in hockey and always finds ways to upgrade the team . The offensive core of this team is still pretty good, expect Elias,Gomez, Gionta to continue scoring, while Freisen, Langenbrunner,Madden ,Kozlov should all have better years. This with a return of Stevens and Brodeur in net, the devils come back competitive.

Molson v. Labatt 06-08-2004 03:48 PM

It's always harder to repeat, wearing the bullseye of the champion. The Lightning though are a very good and still maturing team. There will be plenty of competition in the East: Ottawa (new coach and possibly more changes in store), Boston (will it be the usual free agency roller coaster?), Toronto (do they continue to stockpile vet's for a last run?), Philly (will be interesting to see what moves they make), New Jersey (Brodeur always makes them dangerous), Montreal (Gainey knows how to win). And as to not overlook the rest of the conference- lots of clubs with good youth that could put it together. The NHL has lots of parity, it is very premature to start talking dynasty.

Some key free agency issues to be resolved this Summer:

RFA's-

Fedotenko, Kubina, Modin, St-Louis, Sarich, Stillman, Afanasenkov, Cibak, Clymer, Dingman, Neckar, Pratt

UFA's-

Andreychuk, Cullimore, Rumble

Knucklez 06-08-2004 03:54 PM

I wouldn't be surprised to see Tampa win the Cup again next year, depending on what happens this summer.

If a cap is put into place, Tampa will hardly have to change a thing because their payroll is so low anyways. Most teams will have to make major adjustments, so if this happens, I can see Tampa hoisting the Cup again next year.

Flycoon* 06-08-2004 03:57 PM

Quote:

What do you think?

Relatively unmentioned was a practically injury free season, playoffs included. Total man games lost was in the range of 50. Some teams lost this many in a week. Good health played a major part in this championship.

Classic Devil 06-08-2004 04:00 PM

Will Tampa win it again? I wouldn't be surprised if they won another cup sometime in the next 3-5 years. Will they repeat? I doubt it. It's no knock against them, but it's really hard to repeat and there are a lot of good teams out there right now. Look at all the teams in the East over 100 points. I definitely can see Tampa winning it again sometime in the near but not immediate future.

habfan4 06-08-2004 04:00 PM

It will be tougher next year (assuming there is one) - it always is when you're on top. IMO a number of teams took the Lightning lightly over the past year, that won't happen again.

Donnie D 06-08-2004 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molson v. Labatt
Some key free agency issues to be resolved this Summer:

RFA's- Fedotenko, Kubina, Modin, St-Louis, Sarich, Stillman, Afanasenkov, Cibak, Clymer, Dingman, Neckar, Pratt

UFA's- Andreychuk, Cullimore, Rumble

That's under the current CBA. If the owners want cost certainty the age to become a UFA is going to drop. A couple of years less and St. Louis and Modin also become UFAs.

Til the End of Time 06-08-2004 07:00 PM

Like everyone is saying, the TB team is relatively young, and so should stay in contention for awhile.

But to win the Cup also requires a bit of luck, and having things fall your way. I am not sure if they will be able to capture the same "magic" that they had this year. But they certainly will have plenty of chances at another run.

syc 06-09-2004 11:13 AM

Quote:

What do you think?

Maybe, Tampa had a simple road to the cup this year. Next year won't be this easy.

GKJ 06-09-2004 11:38 AM

I don't know if they'll win it next year or not, but they will win it again within the next 5 or 6 years.

pblc 06-09-2004 12:13 PM

Will they win it again next year...or should I say in the next hockey season (whenever that is)?

Short answer.....anythings possible.

Longer answer. They have a good young team, assuming that it will be kept together. I don't know Tampas payroll situation, but I think that their payroll is not outrageous by any means, so they should be good to go, even if a cap is put in place.....but on the other hand there are other good teams out there.

The playoffs are a grueling marathon, not a sprint, and besides having a good team, other factors come into play....injuries....luck, which a playoff contender has no real control over. Some people may say that the Bolts had an easier road to the finals than Calgary did. On paper Calgary may have played the tougher teams, but a team can only play the opponents that are put in front of them.

In the end there are too many variables to accurately predict whether or not a team will repeat. The dynasty days are long gone.....but it is entirely possible that the Bolts could win again....or then again they could get knocked out in the 1st round........kind of like a certain team that I support :)

ObeySteve 06-09-2004 02:10 PM

This will be the first real test of Tampa's fan base:

If the Lightning fans can support the franchise enough to keep the core of the team together, I think they should easily be able to win a 2nd cup at some point within the next 5 years.