HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Brian Burke being courted by CBC for Cherry's job (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=82798)

Mizral 06-08-2004 02:50 PM

Brian Burke being courted by CBC for Cherry's job

That's the latest rumour at least. I saw it first actually in the TV Times Sports section that circulates here in BC, but I'm hearing it a bit on the radio and sprinklings of it in newspapers.

While I certainly do not want to see Cherry go, Burke would be a pretty good replacement.. but I still would rather see Brett Hull there.

SuperUnknown 06-08-2004 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Thompson
That's the latest rumour at least. I saw it first actually in the TV Times Sports section that circulates here in BC, but I'm hearing it a bit on the radio and sprinklings of it in newspapers.

While I certainly do not want to see Cherry go, Burke would be a pretty good replacement.. but I still would rather see Brett Hull there.

I'd want to see JR there. ;)

think-blue- 06-08-2004 02:55 PM

Yeah, I guess there was more to Ron Maclean asking about Burke's future (whether he wanted to go work for the league, be a GM, or CBC) last night. Judging by Brian's comments, he wants to get another GM gig. I agree though, I think Hull would be a better fit than Burke as a Cherry replacement.

ACC1224 06-08-2004 02:58 PM

Aren't Hull and JR still playing??? be kind of hard to do both.

SuperUnknown 06-08-2004 03:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ACC1224
Aren't Hull and JR still playing??? be kind of hard to do both.

JR should retire with all his injuries and concussions. (just my point of view though)

Molson v. Labatt 06-08-2004 03:52 PM

Maybe CBC could put Burke in a segment with Strachan :joker:

Joe T Choker 06-08-2004 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molson v. Labatt

Who wouldn't love to see Burke rip Strachan's vocal chords out through his sphyncter(sp?)?

Knucklez 06-08-2004 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molson v. Labatt

:lol

Seriously though, Strachan should be fired this summer. He's an incompetent idiot who 90% of the time has no idea what he's talking about.

"They won't re-sign Burke because he wants 2 million" :lol What a bunch of BS, I loved watching Burke rip him after that.

He also suggested a couple of weeks ago that Pronger might go to Florida. The other guys on the Hotstove pointed out Pronger will be making 10 million next year, and suggested Bill Guerin. Strachan shot the idea down because Guerin "makes too much money". The idiot just suggested PRONGER.

He makes me shake my head.

Vincent_TheGreat 06-08-2004 04:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jay Thompson

Brett Hull? WHA? I would never ever watch CBC hockey again, I would watch the Finals on ABC and whatever games are on TSN!

copperandblue 06-08-2004 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knucklez
"They won't re-sign Burke because he wants 2 million" :lol What a bunch of BS, I loved watching Burke rip him after that.

Not to support Strachan because I agree the guy is a clown but I remember him saying that Burke was on the bubble for both the 2 mil salary demand and the contract negotiated with Bertuzzi.

Considering Burke was in the end let go as predicted, was there ever a concrete reason given by the Canucks or in this case is it possible that Strachan was right?

NFITO 06-08-2004 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by copperandblue
Not to support Strachan because I agree the guy is a clown but I remember him saying that Burke was on the bubble for both the 2 mil salary demand and the contract negotiated with Bertuzzi.

Considering Burke was in the end let go as predicted, was there ever a concrete reason given by the Canucks or in this case is it possible that Strachan was right?

well Burke did promise Strachan that he would re-sign immediately if he was given a $2mill contract, and this was months before he was officially not re-signed, I'd guess that Strachan was way off...

as far as Burke becoming a TV personality?? I don't really see it... sure he's entertaining and all, but I dont' see him being a media guy - he eats media guys for breakfast!!

what's next... Jennifer Mathers becoming a GM as they switch professions ;)

(btw... for those that don't know Mathers is a media personality in Vancouver, and Burke's wife).

rye&ginger 06-08-2004 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by copperandblue

All of that was common knowledge allready except for the 2 million thing which cant be confirmed by anyone as it is. Stoogen gets no credit for any of that.

Peter Griffin 06-08-2004 04:20 PM

I think Burke is perfect for the job. He speaks his mind, is very vocal, and when he talks, people do listen.

arrbez 06-08-2004 05:32 PM

well, if cherry is gone, then burke seems like a good fit. but i'll be crushed if they still call the segment Coaches Corner...

SuperUnknown 06-08-2004 05:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by arrbez
well, if cherry is gone, then burke seems like a good fit. but i'll be crushed if they still call the segment Coaches Corner...

How about the GMs Corner? :dunno:

Gibsons Finest 06-08-2004 05:52 PM

I hope instead he goes for a nice cushy GM job, in Anaheim perhaps. ;)

Mizral 06-08-2004 06:40 PM

Too late for that, sounds like Al Coates has the job in Anaheim.

kenabnrmal 06-08-2004 08:38 PM

Al Coates is only interim GM...he'll handle the draft day (though Chuck Fletcher will be making the calls), and whatever other pressing duties come up, likely before the new CBA is done. Look for another man to be hired for the role, possible Chuck Fletcher himself.

Russian_fanatic 06-08-2004 09:08 PM

GM'S Corner :lol . Personally I think that Burke would be perfect , and he is a hockey expert too !

Brett38 06-08-2004 09:51 PM

I want Cherry to stay, but if he has to go then Burke would be choice # 2.

MacDaddy TLC* 06-08-2004 10:34 PM

How about the caning Al Strachan corner? Special Guests Steve Simmons and Damien Cox.

The thought of a weekly Brian Burke outburst has me inexuseably giddy (not quite school girl yet, but could happen if he takes the job).

Taking the CBC job wouldn't stop him from taking a job with the league or a team if a suitable opportunity came up i would imagine. I thought Don Cherry was only going to be a temp until he got another coaching opportunity. I really hope Brian considers this.

Bicycle Repairman 06-08-2004 10:52 PM

Oh good lord. The thought of another pompous blowhard to replace yet another pompous blowhard makes me nauseous. :loony:

Besides, Brian Burke probably has bigger fish to fry than some dinky TV gig. The man should run for Pope or something if you listen to him.

The CBC should think outside the box and instead deliver informative commentary over entertainment value. Serious hockey fans would appreciate this. As a taxpayer-funded entity, the CBC's mandate should be to inform as opposed to entertaining the mass populace.

In this regard, I see Bruce Dowbiggin and Craig Button as an intriguing on-air combo.

BAuldie 06-08-2004 11:04 PM

Honestly I'm tired of listening Brian Burke.. its getting a little old.

Hull would be okay but he is a little to calm for my liking. I do like his outspoken nature though.

Pierre Mcguire is the guy imo. Yea he is annoying when it comes to colour commentary.. he'd be perfect for a 5 minute segment like this though. Granted it won't happen but he'd be my pick.

Johnny 06-08-2004 11:16 PM

In all honhesty, although my choice may not be all that popular...but, if someone is going to replace Cherry, I'd like to see it be Dave Tiger Willams...Those who thought Cherry was bad with his politically incorrect ways, haven't seen nothing yet.. :lol:

Burnaby_Joe* 06-08-2004 11:18 PM

If Cherry is gone, Burke is the last guy I want to see.