HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   Bourque, McLean, and Coffey among those eligible for Hockey Hall of Fame this year. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=82835)

Dolemite 06-08-2004 06:15 PM

Bourque, McLean, and Coffey among those eligible for Hockey Hall of Fame this year.

I agree with this article in that Bourque and Coffey will be elected into the HOF this year.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=86867

colonel_korn 06-08-2004 06:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dolemite
I agree with this article in that Bourque and Coffey will be elected into the HOF this year.

http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=86867

Kirk McLean? What the hell? :eek:

I had no idea he was even getting consideration for the HoF...

NFITO 06-08-2004 06:31 PM

McLean won't get it... definitely not in his first year of eligibility... but he's still a former allstar who was nominated for the Vezina...

although this is the HOF... chances of him getting in are slim to none, and slim just went through his five-hole ;)

I don't think that any of the other 1st year eligible players will get it either, other than Bourque and Coffey.

out of the ones passed on before, I could see Larmer getting consideration, along with Bobby Smith and Dino...

Superfluous U 06-08-2004 08:06 PM

Larry Murphy is eligible, isn't he? The guy has 1200 points or something as a defenseman. Might get an all D HOF induction year.

littleHossa 06-08-2004 08:14 PM

I think that I also saw somewhere else Tikkanen also got considerations.

Russian_fanatic 06-08-2004 08:32 PM

Well as a former Canucks fan ... I hope Mclean gets in !

kmad 06-08-2004 08:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Russian_fanatic
Well as a former Canucks fan ... I hope Mclean gets in !

he won't. No trophies, no cups, not a very long or dominant career. He'd be first in line for the single-save hall of fame, though.

Finkle is Einhorn 06-08-2004 09:07 PM

Geez, McLean is my favourite tender of all time, but if he gets into the hall, it would be a joke. It's nice that his name would even get mentioned though...if for no other reason than the save.

Malefic74 06-09-2004 12:27 PM

Bourque and Coffey are locks and well-deserving of places in the Hall. Murphy is borderline but will eventually get in on the weight of his sheer numbers.

As far as goalies go, McLean is mentioned only because this is his first year of eligibility. Vachon would be ahead of him, so would Andy Moog.

As far as forwards go, the people responsible for Gartner, Federko and Gillies will eventually get Ciccarelli in, again on numbers, but I don't think he belongs there. Anderson is a more interesting case because of his "clutch" reputation and his playoff production. What works against him is the fact that the bulk of his numbers came with Messier as his centre. Having said that, I don't see any forwards going in this year.

Leaf Lander 06-09-2004 12:40 PM

when will rick vaive get in

a 3 time 50 time goal scorer

was only bright light for the leafs through the dark Ballard years 1980's

TJF 06-09-2004 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nuckfan in TO
McLean won't get it... definitely not in his first year of eligibility... but he's still a former allstar who was nominated for the Vezina...

although this is the HOF... chances of him getting in are slim to none, and slim just went through his five-hole ;)

I don't think that any of the other 1st year eligible players will get it either, other than Bourque and Coffey.

out of the ones passed on before, I could see Larmer getting consideration, along with Bobby Smith and Dino...

Cam Neely should also get some consideration.

balddog66 06-09-2004 02:32 PM

sometimes it's a numbers game for people trying to get into the hof.
I see a lot of competition from some of the greatest players of all time in the next few years...so some players that could have gotten in other years, will have a much tougher time now...
Not sure how many are allowed in at a time, 3 I believe...Bourque, Coffey and Mikhalov would be my 3 choices off that list...followed by
Kharlamov, Makarov, Murphy, Ciccarelli, Larmer, Hunter, Nicholls...and the rest.
Time some of the russian greats of yesteryear get their due...

canucksfan 06-09-2004 02:54 PM

Bourque and Coffey will be locks. McLean will have no chance of getting in. Dino Ciccarelli should also make this year.

Coffey77 06-09-2004 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by balddog66
sometimes it's a numbers game for people trying to get into the hof.
I see a lot of competition from some of the greatest players of all time in the next few years...so some players that could have gotten in other years, will have a much tougher time now...
Not sure how many are allowed in at a time, 3 I believe...Bourque, Coffey and Mikhalov would be my 3 choices off that list...followed by
Kharlamov, Makarov, Murphy, Ciccarelli, Larmer, Hunter, Nicholls...and the rest.
Time some of the russian greats of yesteryear get their due...

i wish more international players could get in but it's mostly the NHL Hall of Fame. The only Russians I know of that are in are Fetisov, Tretiak and Tarasov (coach).

DJ Spinoza 06-09-2004 03:46 PM

Bourque, Coffey, Murphy all in.

http://www.legendsofhockey.net/html/ind04prolog2003.htm

X8oD 06-09-2004 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MrKnowNothing

great to see murphy make it. He was a major cog in the wings Cup [amongst other major career accomplishments], and it was still great to see him bood everytime he played in Toronto only to get the last laugh.

Malefic74 06-09-2004 03:59 PM

I'm OK with Murphy. I am glad to see Cliff Fletcher go in too. Overdue, that one.

davemess 06-09-2004 04:16 PM

Coffey goes in as an Oiler i would assume right?

What about Murphy? 6 years with the Caps - 5 with the Pens - 5 with the Red Wings - 4 with the Kings

Epsilon 06-09-2004 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by davemess
Coffey goes in as an Oiler i would assume right?

What about Murphy? 6 years with the Caps - 5 with the Pens - 5 with the Red Wings - 4 with the Kings

I'm guessing either the Pens or the Wings. Do the players get to choose in the NHL?

John Flyers Fan 06-09-2004 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epsilon
I'm guessing either the Pens or the Wings. Do the players get to choose in the NHL?

It's not like MLB, players don't wear a jersey or anything on their plaque/engraving.

X8oD 06-09-2004 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epsilon

IF players went in with a logo, Id guess he would be wearing the winged wheel simply because he is still with the team as a Color Commentator.

but as JFF said, players dont go in with teams or logo's. Because this isnt a Centralized HOF, its a general Hockey HOF, players dont need to play in the NHL to make it.

TJF 06-09-2004 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by X8oD
IF players went in with a logo, Id guess he would be wearing the winged wheel simply because he is still with the team as a Color Commentator.

but as JFF said, players dont go in with teams or logo's. Because this isnt a Centralized HOF, its a general Hockey HOF, players dont need to play in the NHL to make it.

Well player don't go in with a jersey like baseball but if they did I seriously think Murphy would choose to wear a Penguins jersey, after all he did play for a while there, had his most productive years there and was the #1 d-men in both Penguins Stanley cup victories.