HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Winnipeg Jets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   RJ Umberger (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=82874)

dunwoody_joe 06-08-2004 08:58 PM

RJ Umberger

Anyone else think that Umberger would be a solid organizational fit for the Thrashers?

Good sized, offensive minded centerman would fit an organizational hole for the club. Umberger had 53 points (26 goals, 27 assists) in 43 games for OSU. An UFA with potential that immediately plugs the hole at center ice in the devopmental pipeline. He could grow into something and would only cost money.

Hell, last year DW loaded up with the likes of Healey, Robitaille, Larsen, Corso, Swanson (all guys who could play some center, but none likely to make a lasting impact).

I say bring the kid into the organization and place him in Chicago to develop. A two-way contract with plenty of incentives should be fair. Who knows, he may be the #2 or #3 centerman we've been looking for!

Holly Gunning 06-08-2004 09:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunwoody_joe
and would only cost money.

An unproven free agent who we already know has a high asking price. I'm going to guess no.

ThrasherB 06-09-2004 07:50 AM

Oh, but Holly, remember how well Hartigan played and the impact he's made on the NHL...

Holly Gunning 06-09-2004 09:55 AM

Exactly. Another one who overvalued himself coming out of college.

dunwoody_joe 06-09-2004 12:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HollyG
An unproven free agent who we already know has a high asking price. I'm going to guess no.

Unclear what his asking price really is. Some reports that Burke low-balled his first offer and took a very hard line stance last summer. Other reports that Umberger wants 1st round equivalent money (or signing bonus)--probably since he was a first rounder (16th pick in 2001). Burke cut his losses with the trade to the Rags.

Rags couldn't get it done either so now it seems that the Pens may sign him as an UFA. I don't blame the kid for exerting his leverage as an UFA to choose his best option.

Hell, I can't predict how this kid will turn out but the risk in signing him is not that great--really. Sign him to a 2-way contract heavily weighted to incentives. If he makes the club (if there is a season), it will be as a #2 centerman. He gets NHL money and incentives--which is as it should be. If he doesn't make the big club, he stays in Chicago to develop at AHL money. So long as DW doesn't go overboard with the signing bonus (and I'll bet this is the bone of contention) the Thrashers' will be financially OK.

I doubt the Pens are in any better position to make this deal. I would just build the organization a little differently than DW. This seems to me a risk worth taking.

Big McLargehuge 06-09-2004 06:15 PM

Umberger not signing with the Rangers was the Rags doing, not Umberger's from every report I've heard.

The Canucks offered him less than they offered to Kessler and Umberger didn't like that, Burke refused to change, and...well that's the end of that.

Zoo 06-09-2004 06:47 PM

I agree, he's got a bum wrap Umberger.Burke low-balled him and Sather wasn't gonna sign him to begin with, he wants the second round pick.And when Umberger becomes an UFA Sather will come back knocking Umbergers door.

And now Umberger is the new Yashin cause he walked out on two teams. :amazed:

dunwoody_joe 06-14-2004 05:46 PM

It seems that Philly takes the risk: http://www.tsn.ca/nhl/news_story.asp?id=87614

Not a terrible risk to take. He signs a rookie max which is a two-way contract. He'll likely play in the "A" next year and earn much less. If he makes the Flyers, they'll pay the full NHL salary. But likely he doesn't crack the Flyers' lineup for a year or two.

Apparently he wants to be 6 deep in the depth chart at center in Philly versus Pitts or Vancouver or anywhere else. Go figure?

We'll see.

stanley 06-15-2004 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zoo
And when Umberger becomes an UFA Sather will come back knocking Umbergers door.

I think the bargaining agreement prevents that sort of wheeling and dealing, although it would be the biggest heist since the Great Waiver Draft Trade of 1989.

Quote:

And now Umberger is the new Yashin cause he walked out on two teams.
I think that's a little different. Yashin had an existing, valid contract, whereas Umberger was never signed by anybody.