HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   National Hockey League Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=60)
-   -   How a champion was built... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=82906)

Burke's Evil Spirit 06-09-2004 12:16 AM

How a champion was built...

I thought this was pretty interesting...here is a list of all the assets Tampa Bay gave up to build the team that just won the Stanley Cup. It's an interesting breakdown, as it shows you just how dirt cheap a team like this can be...if you're smart enough ;)

Waiver acquisitions
Jassen Cullimore

Free Agent Signings
Ben Clymer
Dave Andreychuk
Darren Rumble
Martin St. Louis
Eric Perrin

Traded Players
Cory Cross
Nils Ekman
Kyle Freadrich
Chris Gratton
Mike Johnson
Paul Mara
Alexander Svitov
Kevin Weekes
Juha Ylonen
Ruslan Zainullin

Traded Draft Picks
2nd round (31st overall) in 2001 - Matthew Spiller
7th round (198th overall) in 2001 - Ivan Kolozvary
1st round (4th overall) in 2002 - Joni Pitkanen
2nd round (34th overall) in 2002 - Tobias Stephen
2nd round (62nd overall) in 2003 - David Backes
5th round (162nd overall) in 2003 - Martin Tuma
3rd round (?? overall) in 2004 - TBA
4th round (?? overall) in 2004 - TBA
6th round (?? overall) in 2004 - TBA

Used Draft Picks
7th round (179th overall) in 1996 - Pavel Kubina
1st round (1st overall) in 1998 - Vincent Lecavalier
3rd round (64th overall) in 1998 - Brad Richards
3rd round (72th overall) in 1998 - Dmitry Afanasenkov
9th round (252nd overall) in 1998 - Martin Cibak

...so. The only noteworthy features of that list are three high first rounders (Vincent Lecavalier, Joni Pitkanen, Chris Gratton). No big-money FA signings or anything.

Cool.

Knucklez 06-09-2004 12:24 AM

Some very smart moves for sure, but it's also a lot of luck. Who would have guessed that the undrafted Martin St-Louis would become one of the best players in the league, winning the Art Ross and being nominated for the Hart and the Pearson?

EDIT: I meant Art Ross, not the Smyth :snide:

Traitor8 06-09-2004 12:50 AM

he didn't win the conn smythe..wasn't it Richards?

OlliMackBjugStud 06-09-2004 12:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Knucklez
Some very smart moves for sure, but it's also a lot of luck. Who would have guessed that the undrafted Martin St-Louis would become one of the best players in the league, winning the Conne Smythe and being nominated for the Hart and the Pearson?

just to be a smart a$$ .. Richards won the Smythe.

dr

Mats_Hallin 06-09-2004 03:08 AM

No need for big UFA signings when you've been drafting in the top 5 since 92 LOL. Alright, 16th pick once, in 96.

Vlad The Impaler 06-09-2004 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Burke's Evil Spirit
I thought this was pretty interesting...here is a list of all the assets Tampa Bay gave up to build the team that just won the Stanley Cup. It's an interesting breakdown, as it shows you just how dirt cheap a team like this can be...if you're smart enough ;)

Waiver acquisitions
Jassen Cullimore

Free Agent Signings
Ben Clymer
Dave Andreychuk
Darren Rumble
Martin St. Louis
Eric Perrin

Traded Players
Cory Cross
Nils Ekman
Kyle Freadrich
Chris Gratton
Mike Johnson
Paul Mara
Alexander Svitov
Kevin Weekes
Juha Ylonen
Ruslan Zainullin

Traded Draft Picks
2nd round (31st overall) in 2001 - Matthew Spiller
7th round (198th overall) in 2001 - Ivan Kolozvary
1st round (4th overall) in 2002 - Joni Pitkanen
2nd round (34th overall) in 2002 - Tobias Stephen
2nd round (62nd overall) in 2003 - David Backes
5th round (162nd overall) in 2003 - Martin Tuma
3rd round (?? overall) in 2004 - TBA
4th round (?? overall) in 2004 - TBA
6th round (?? overall) in 2004 - TBA

Used Draft Picks
7th round (179th overall) in 1996 - Pavel Kubina
1st round (1st overall) in 1998 - Vincent Lecavalier
3rd round (64th overall) in 1998 - Brad Richards
3rd round (72th overall) in 1998 - Dmitry Afanasenkov
9th round (252nd overall) in 1998 - Martin Cibak

...so. The only noteworthy features of that list are three high first rounders (Vincent Lecavalier, Joni Pitkanen, Chris Gratton). No big-money FA signings or anything.

Cool.

BES, this is very interesting stuff, but I'm curious: where was the break down? I mean, I think their very first draft they were going first and drafted Roman Hamrlik 1st overall. Why isn't he included? Is there a reason or is it just a mistake?

I would also qualify Svitov (5th overall) as a highly drafted player.

Other guys you did not include like Weimer (8th overall), Daymond Langkow (5th overall again certainly qualifies as a highly drafted player), Paul Mara (7th overall) and probably a few others.

They drafted top 10 an awful lot of times. I wouldn't remember the exact circumstances they parted with those guys so I do not know how each of them figures out in your analysis.

Note also that in the category "traded draft picks", I can think of at least one huge omission: in 1999 they traded the 4th overall, I believe. Or at least it was a top 4 pick.

Very interesting stuff but got me intrigued and now I am wondering how all the other assets figure out in the equation :D

Epsilon 06-09-2004 03:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Vlad The Impaler
BES, this is very interesting stuff, but I'm curious: where was the break down? I mean, I think their very first draft they were going first and drafted Roman Hamrlik 1st overall. Why isn't he included? Is there a reason or is it just a mistake?

Other guys you did not include like Weimer (8th overall), Daymond Langkow (5th overall again certainly qualifies as a highly drafted player), Paul Mara (7th overall) and probably a few others.

They drafted top 10 an awful lot of times. I wouldn't remember the exact circumstances they parted with those guys so I do not know how each of them figures out in your analysis.

Note also that in the category "traded draft picks", I can think of at least one huge omission: in 1999 they traded the 4th overall, I believe. Or at least it was a top 4 pick.

Very interesting stuff but got me intrigued and now I am wondering how all the other assets figure out in the equation :D

Just to nitpick, Svitov went #3 overall.

Vlad The Impaler 06-09-2004 03:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Epsilon
Just to nitpick, Svitov went #3 overall.

I knew that! I was testing you all! ;)

Burke's Evil Spirit 06-09-2004 11:54 AM

Quote:

Paul Mara is on that list, and the trading of their first-round pick in 1999 didn't contribute any roster players to the current championship, so it wasn't included...as for the others, I only went "one trade deep" when finding out how each player on the current roster got there - for instance, Daymond Langkow was traded for Chris Gratton and Mike Sillinger. Sillinger was subsequently traded for Ryan Johnson and Dwayne Hay. Ryan Johnson was traded for Vaclav Prospal, who left for nothing. Dwayne Hay left the organization, and Chris Gratton was traded for a package, whose only remaining player is Cory Sarich. Thus, Gratton is the only player there because if you go "one trade deep" you see he obtained Cory Sarich.

I made this thread more to track how Tampa Bay was turned from a joke of a franchise in 99/00 to the finely-tuned machine they are today, not chart how they went from expansion -> championship. That'd be a lot harder, and yes, would look a lot less impressive than this list. You're welcome to do it ;)

Doomsday Device 06-09-2004 02:33 PM

Quote:

That 1999 pick for Tampa Bay was originally the 1st overall pick, which they dealt to Chicago for 2 third round picks (Brett Scheffelmaier and Jimmie Olvestad) and the 4th pick.

They then dealt the 4th pick to the Rangers for Nicklas Sundstrom Dan Cloutier, 1st rounder in 2000 (Nikita Alexeev), and a 3rd rounder in 2000 ( :dunno: ).

Ontario Habsfan 06-09-2004 06:51 PM

Who were the GMs who were around before Feaster and made these deals?

I find it really interesting that Feaster never played hockey and yet is at the helm of the cup champs.

If I remember correctly it was Phil Esposito who used his yearly draft pick to choose Richards...If I'm wrong someone please point it out.

rwilson99 06-09-2004 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ontario Habsfan
Who were the GMs who were around before Feaster and made these deals?

I find it really interesting that Feaster never played hockey and yet is at the helm of the cup champs.

If I remember correctly it was Phil Esposito who used his yearly draft pick to choose Richards...If I'm wrong someone please point it out.

GMs

Espo (91-98)
Demers (98)
Rick Dudley (99-01)
Feaster (02-pres)

If I'm off a year or two apologies.

The 98 Espo draft is a gem. Richards was his pick in the 3rd round, and don't forget the Bolts got the Vinny pick by trading Brian Marchment and other considerations to SJ for the right to swap 1st round picks in the event San Jose did better in the draft lotto.

*** brilliant :bow:

Knucklez 06-09-2004 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DementedReality
just to be a smart a$$ .. Richards won the Smythe.

dr

Hehe, I meant the Art Ross. Changed.