HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Good Hockey Stores in SoCal? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=830369)

Splitbtw 10-15-2010 06:35 PM

Good Hockey Stores in SoCal?

I'm in San Diego and nothing is really all that great in terms of stick selection and overall inventory. I like Play it Again sports for random equipment and whatnot, but I find I have to use the internet for sticks and even gloves.

Anyone know a hockey store worth checking out in Anaheim or LA or anywhere that's less than a 2-hour drive from SD?

AIREAYE 10-15-2010 07:16 PM

Ive been to the LA area for visitng family and we made the drive to Anaheim JUST to visit the Hockeygiant store. Bought a pair of One35 pants for much cheaper than in Canada, had to stuff it in the luggage LOL. Try there, or the Hockeymonkey store (forgot where it was, but its around the SoCal area, google it)

IDuck 10-15-2010 07:21 PM

dude, i moved from socal 2 years ago and where i live now i have NO options....you have hockeymonkey and hockeygiant there...whatelse do you need... hockeymonkey is smaller but is right off the 55 and hockeygiant is right off the 5 (near angels stadium)....hope that helps, i use to go there weekly just to browse the new stuff

toddmanley 10-15-2010 08:21 PM

I hit up both those stores while I was down in Irvine a couple of weeks ago on a business trip. Definitely worth the time to visit both. However, if you're looking for something specific, call ahead to see if they have it in stock or if it's on order. I was interested in trying on some Graf's at HockeyMonkey, but their stock was virtually gone and the new order wasn't coming in until I had left town.

Thepandamancan 10-15-2010 10:10 PM

Hockey Monkey and Hockey Giant (the better of the two, I think) are your two best bets. Hockey Giant has their shipping warehouse in Carlsbad, but I'm not sure if it's open to the public. Should be a quick drive up the 5 for you.

ginblossoms 10-16-2010 01:24 AM

i echo the above sentiments.

be aware that hockeymonkey is the name of their internet store. the physical brick & mortar store is now called monkeysports (formerly hawk hockey).

jax00 10-16-2010 02:27 AM

Hockey Monkey and Hockey Giant if you're looking for a huge selection. If you ever have skate issues go to the pro shop at The Gardens rink in Lakewood. Dude that used to do custom radius for the Ducks works there.

bonnielad 10-18-2010 12:53 PM

Hockey Giant and Hockey Monkey are great for pretty much anything - including skates if you already know what fits and works for you.

Now, if you need to be fit for skates I would highly recommend going to the pro shop at the Anaheim Ice rink facility (. Those guys are true pros and will take their time making sure that the skates fit your feet (they once spent a total of 5 hours a day for 3 days working on my nasty feet). The shop is called Ultimate Skate & Hockey. They are a Graf shop for the most part, but do sell and will fit you for other brands. Top notch staff - ask for Sandy or James.

Edit: the pro shop that Jax mentioned above, at the Lakewood facility (Glacial Gardens Ice rink), is also a very good shop to go to for getting fit.

santiclaws 10-18-2010 01:02 PM

I was at HG about a week ago, and their selection was nonexistent. They didn't have 5% of what they list online. I wanted to try on shin pads and they had like three different kinds in a bunch of sizes - I had about seven I looked at online and wanted to try, and they did not have a single one of them. It was near where I was going so I didn't have to drive down there or I would have been very pissed.

Brodeur 10-18-2010 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thepandamancan (Post 28340212)
Hockey Giant has their shipping warehouse in Carlsbad, but I'm not sure if it's open to the public. Should be a quick drive up the 5 for you.

You can order on the phone and arrange a pickup in Carlsbad. Probably the quickest route if you know what you want to get.

Quote:

Originally Posted by santiclaws (Post 28383452)
I was at HG about a week ago, and their selection was nonexistent. They didn't have 5% of what they list online. I wanted to try on shin pads and they had like three different kinds in a bunch of sizes - I had about seven I looked at online and wanted to try, and they did not have a single one of them. It was near where I was going so I didn't have to drive down there or I would have been very pissed.

Lately, both stores only have enough retail space to have the latest and greatest. Most of the best deals are on last year's models, but they generally won't stock them at the actual store.