HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Brian Boyle Appreciation Thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=830410)

Beacon 10-15-2010 09:19 PM

Brian Boyle Appreciation Thread

Dammit, I was about to post on this forum that Boyle is playing really well and that he's getting hate for no reason, and that he shouldn't be benched and if anything should be promoted to the third line sooner or later.

I open this forum and pizza delivery arrives. By the time I am through eating pizza, the guy scores two goals.

Anyway, last year I posted here that I would've rather had #3+Betts instead of Boyle and got flamed, before everyone else joined the bandwagon. Today, I want to reverse that. I think Boyle is excellent, and I was going to write just this before he scored his two goals.

The guy is huge and is a great skater for his size. Honestly, how many guys who are 6-foot-7 250 pounds can skate like this?

He doesn't have the greatest shot, but it's not bad either. He's not physical, but he is very hard to knock down just by virtue of being so big and tall.

Just as this summer he added speed, I hope he'll work in the next few months and the summer on hitting and finishing his checks.

If he can learn to hit - and it's a skill that is definitely teachable - Boyle will be a top-end third liner.

Even at his current game level, he can still play on the third line if needed. Not exactly a third liner on a Cup winner, but he can be a third liner on a borderline-playoff team like we are.

Anyway, go Boyle! Excellent improvement this summer, and probably more to come!

(P.S. MDZ got an assist on his second goal, giving him 3 points in 3 games.)

Loffen 10-15-2010 09:24 PM

Boyle's off-season training

=

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/1...cess_super.jpg

ECL 10-15-2010 09:28 PM

I love how some fools wanted him waived.

Beacon 10-15-2010 09:38 PM

All my life, ever since I was 6-7 years old, I always wondered why hockey players are not being trained to skate by former Olympic speed skaters and figure skaters.

If I ever ran a team, I would hire 1 speed skater and 1 figure skater to train my team. It's different type of skating, but there are many things that professional skaters can train hockey players.

Notice that European players often will use their feet in a soccer-like move to do something useful. Same can be with getting training from professional skaters.

Boyle's "Great Success" shows that this is clearly the case.

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoFFeN (Post 28332326)

nyrleetch 10-15-2010 09:50 PM

Looks 15x better.

JeffMangum 10-15-2010 09:52 PM

Play him on the first line. Totally serial.

Chado613 10-15-2010 09:55 PM

Its obvious he worked hard on his skating over the summer

Boom Boom Geoffrion* 10-15-2010 09:57 PM

I recall the 91% of you guys that were hating on him all summer long. You guys have absolutely no patience.

ECL 10-15-2010 09:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Boom Boom Geoffrion (Post 28333869)
I recall the 91% of you guys that were hating on him all summer long. You guys have absolutely no patience.

Lisin not getting playing time after sucking ass -- RARGGHHHH TORTS THE CLOWN HATES THIS KID HE'S A STAR WTF RARGGHHHH

Brian Boyle mediocre his first year -- RARGGHHHH WASTED 3RD ROUND PICK **** THIS GUY WAIVE HIS ASS RARGGHHHH

Eminger/Gilroy getting a look 3rd game of the year -- RARGGHHHH TORTS THE CLOWN IS THROWING IN THE TOWEL ON THE SEASON **** HIM RARGGHHHH

BigBrown 10-15-2010 10:01 PM

For a guy who in the past was a notorious slow starter I'm glad to see him start off the season with a bang.

offdacrossbar 10-15-2010 10:07 PM

to give him some credit, he had one of the best camps of anyone and hes continued right into the season

hes playing physical

his skating is better

hes going to the net hard

the guy has been a revelation so far

Miller Time NYR 10-15-2010 10:11 PM

Are we going to make an "APPRECIATION THREAD" for EVERY good effort in EVERY game. It's getting old 3 games in bc it's the same thing every time wow he's great let's put him on a pedistol and bow down in front of him. How about making an appreciation thread for a guy like Boyle when he does something significant in more then one game. Sorry to be a buzz kill people I like Boyle ive wanted him playing fourth line center since we got him but I think just about all these appreciation threads are rather premature.

SupersonicMonkey* 10-15-2010 10:40 PM

I always liked Boyle.

Untapped skills there.

He has to play assertive to make them work, but the guy is young and can play.

I hope he gets a shot at 3rd line center now with more skilled players. He played well with Avery, so keep them together.

Stepan center the top line, what ever that will be now with Gaborik injured.

And Anisimov's line keep together.

This is gonna be tough without Gaborik.

Move Christensen to wing and let him utilize his wrist shot on the off wing (RW).

Captain Monglobster 10-15-2010 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan. (Post 28333941)
Lisin not getting playing time after sucking ass -- RARGGHHHH TORTS THE CLOWN HATES THIS KID HE'S A STAR WTF RARGGHHHH

Brian Boyle mediocre his first year -- RARGGHHHH WASTED 3RD ROUND PICK **** THIS GUY WAIVE HIS ASS RARGGHHHH

Eminger/Gilroy getting a look 3rd game of the year -- RARGGHHHH TORTS THE CLOWN IS THROWING IN THE TOWEL ON THE SEASON **** HIM RARGGHHHH

I'm sorry, but this is a pretty hilariously accurate post, I lol'ed.

If Boyle can stay consistent this year, my god, he inches closer to becoming part of the "core".

The leadership is there as well, always yapping back and forth with opposing players, and stepped up his game when the vets went down tonight.

Beacon 10-15-2010 11:37 PM

Why can we crap on every player after a single bad play, but not praise someone after a couple good games?

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 (Post 28334431)
Are we going to make an "APPRECIATION THREAD" for EVERY good effort in EVERY game. It's getting old 3 games in bc it's the same thing every time wow he's great let's put him on a pedistol and bow down in front of him. How about making an appreciation thread for a guy like Boyle when he does something significant in more then one game. Sorry to be a buzz kill people I like Boyle ive wanted him playing fourth line center since we got him but I think just about all these appreciation threads are rather premature.

Loffen 10-15-2010 11:40 PM

Boyle deserves one IMO. I ragged on him quite a bit last season.

He has looked like a completely different beast ever since the pre-season. He's scoring, hitting, blocking shots and roughing it up.
That's the way he has to play every night.

Miller Time NYR 10-15-2010 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RangerEsq (Post 28336883)
Why can we crap on every player after a single bad play, but not praise someone after a couple good games?

hes been an effective fourth liner great but the guy has one good game and people praise him like he just had back to back hatricks playing on the fourth line. Gabby nd dru go down nd he steps up. Ge had two goals whoopediedoodah if he keeps up the same effort in the next 2-3-4 games thats great that deserves some praise but not what hes getting after one performance and im just saying people make appreciation threads for single efforts, why dont we make an appreciation thread for the ice crew that ice sure looked fresh tonite.

Anthony Mauro 10-15-2010 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoFFeN (Post 28336958)
Boyle deserves one IMO. I ragged on him quite a bit last season.

He has looked like a completely different beast ever since the pre-season. He's scoring, hitting, blocking shots and roughing it up.
That's the way he has to play every night.

mini-Lindros!!!!

SupersonicMonkey* 10-16-2010 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jonathan. (Post 28333941)

You're not wrong, but how did that go tonight with Eminger and Gilroy instead of one of their better defensive defensemen (Sauer)?

It went awful. Bad call by Tortorella.

Not that it matters, because this isn't a playoff team yet.

Hopefully he saw what he needed to see to realize those two can't play every game, and Sauer needs to be in.

What they're gonna do about Gaborik's injury, who the heck knows.

But having two dumb defensemen in at the same time (Eminger and Rozsival) can't happen anymore if it can be avoided. At least that's a situation that can be controlled by the coach, so there's no excuse.

lbrowne 10-16-2010 12:21 AM

That's a few times now that Boyle has caught goalies from shooting around the high circle area. Maybe his shot is just deceptive. He's a big dude with alot of leverage to put on a stick...

John Torturella 10-16-2010 12:24 AM

Lets see it consistently for a long stretch. He has been good thus far, but lets not get ahead of ourselves.

trilobyte 10-16-2010 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lbrowne (Post 28337877)
That's a few times now that Boyle has caught goalies from shooting around the high circle area. Maybe his shot is just deceptive. He's a big dude with alot of leverage to put on a stick...

Really good point. He has done that a few times.
At first I wondered whether he had improved his shot that much, but then I just came to the conclusion that he was simply playing a simple and direct game - if there is no obvious play, don't let all your hard work add up to nothing, shoot the puck at the net.
Good job by Boyle for making the effort and also for doing the plain, nothing fancy finish of shooting the puck on net, and then driving to the net.
If more Rangers did the same thing consistently, I think it would benefit everyone. I'm not saying to forget about playmaking, it's simply about making the right choice.

Puckface NYR* 10-16-2010 12:43 AM

is it a little to early to say i told you so

Radek27 10-16-2010 02:03 AM

Boyle is starting to look like more than a 4th liner. :handclap:

GrizMint 10-16-2010 04:44 AM

Brian Boyle is my favorite, he is a leader and is a very large man that can skate well. I couldnt care less that he scored tonight, he does so much right every night and is under appreciated. In the first period i saw him try and cycle the puck with the boogieman and it never worked out because Boogard sucks and cant make a simple drop pass. If he is put int a third line situation with guys who can handle the puck he will excel and impress everybody. If he keeps playing the body, I am all about him staying on this team and having a major role even if it doesnt include a scoring touch