HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Cheap composite stick suggestions? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=830635)

djcreepshow 10-16-2010 12:05 PM

Cheap composite stick suggestions?

Hey everyone. I'm looking to buy a cheap composite stick (less than $60 or so) to try out for ball hockey. We play in a gym with a smooth floor not on pavement or concrete. I've never used a comp stick before, always preferred wooden, but I am curious to see how they feel (hence the cheap price). Not looking for anything fancy, not worried about flex or anything. I just want something durable, fairly light and has a pretty straight blade.

Any suggestions? Thanks, guys!

Thepandamancan 10-16-2010 12:17 PM

Hockey Giant and Hockey Monkey usually have insane clearance sales. I was able to buy an intermediate bauer for like 20 something bucks.

For ball hockey, you might wanna get a cheap shaft (I think the Bauer One55 or the new One35 is around 45-50 bucks) and get a blade for another 20.

ponder 10-16-2010 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thepandamancan (Post 28343844)
Hockey Giant and Hockey Monkey usually have insane clearance sales. I was able to buy an intermediate bauer for like 20 something bucks.

For ball hockey, you might wanna get a cheap shaft (I think the Bauer One55 or the new One35 is around 45-50 bucks) and get a blade for another 20.

He's from Halifax so can't really order from these sites, there's basically no good online hockey stores with serious discounts in Canada (seriously, somebody needs to make an equivalent to hockey monkey/hockey giant/ice warehouse that ships from Canada, the market is wide open, no good online retailers here).

As for the OP, I always think a composite for ball hockey is a bit of overkill, but if you're set on it just head to a local shop and pick up a cheap Bauer, Rbk or Easton, all have decent low end sticks. My parents live in Halifax, and I seem to Cleve's (downtown) having a decent hockey section, and went to a sportchek on the edge of town (can't remember which mall) that had a large hockey section too.

greyraven8 10-16-2010 01:13 PM

I got a Vic Element in a regular flex for $40 or less on sale quite a while back - think it was at Sportchek (maybe Sportmart). Has a little bit more curve than my previous cheap composites CCM Octogun 10 and CCM Vector 06 in a Thorton curve, but has held up a lot better than those sticks. Has held up well for playing regular scrub hockey; not sure about ball hockey.

At my local Play-it-again, they still have a lot of Revolution brand sticks and are priced under $50. Bought one but haven't used it much - they only had higher flex sticks in the right hand; got the 95 flex and is stiffer than what i'm used to. There is better selection in left hand shot. Not sure if other Play-it-again stores in Canada have got a bunch of these in also. Maybe others have tried this brand and have opinions on how well they have held up.

AIREAYE 10-16-2010 04:33 PM

Save the money and invest in a comfy and breathable pair of gloves instead haha. But if you insist on cheap OPS, then try the One55.

btw there is no stick OR shaft called the One35...the newest Bauer shaft is the One30

AZcoyotes 10-16-2010 04:35 PM

I got a Mission fuel z10 for like $35.

Pretty decent for the price. Use it for Shooting street pucks in my driveway