HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Los Angeles Kings (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=42)
-   -   Another Tough Season Ahead (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=830876)

Ron 10-17-2010 12:40 AM

Another Tough Season Ahead

Kings have started out 3-1 with 6 points and find themselves already in 5th place in the conference...amazing.

It's going to be another long, 82-game season...I know its early but some teams have really jumped out of the gate fast...of course, this is expected from teams like Detroit, but Nashville? Dallas?

I gotta believe the team coming out of the West (that would be the Kings) will be the odds-on-favorite to win the SC this year.

DAkings20 10-17-2010 12:49 AM

Nashville isn't really a surprise imo, they do it every season. It still very early though, If you look at the standings 15-20 games in some separation might start between teams. But the west is really competitive, so I wouldn't be surprised to see 12 teams, maybe more in the hunt for a playoff spot all year.

Jetteroheller 10-17-2010 12:52 AM

They need to change the playoff format so that the top 16 teams make the playoffs and bottom of the barrel teams from the east don't make the playoffs over much better western teams :naughty:

Sydor25 10-17-2010 12:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron (Post 28362127)
Kings have started out 3-1 with 6 points and find themselves already in 5th place in the conference...amazing.

6th place now... ;)

It's better than being a _ucks or _evils fan. Both teams have no D. :naughty:

wicker 10-17-2010 02:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sydor25 (Post 28362320)
It's better than being a _ucks or _evils fan. Both teams have no D. :naughty:

Hah. At least the _ucks had no delusions of grandeur...

ru4reals 10-17-2010 03:47 AM

Okay I know that I'm jumping a little ahead, but don't we have that treacherous ten game roady or something? I still can't imagine a ten game roady. Hopefully we'll be okay by then and if we lose more games then we win during that whole road trip, it won't hurt us as much. But that might be the season right there.

KingLB 10-17-2010 06:36 AM

Wow I didn't think it was possible, but I found a worse thread then the Vancouver GDT's. Are you kidding me people...do people realize the Kings have won 75% of their games.....right now the Kings are playing over their heads....and we are worrying about Dallas:shakehead

JT Dutch* 10-17-2010 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ron (Post 28362127)
It's going to be another long, 82-game season...I know its early but some teams have really jumped out of the gate fast...of course, this is expected from teams like Detroit, but Nashville? Dallas?

... It's way, way too early to get a read right now on who's going to fill the playoff spots in either conference. But there are a couple of things to watch for in the early going to give an idea of who's really legitimate and who's doing it with mirrors thus far.

The Kings right now have a TEAM save percentage of .947. That's fantastic, but of course it's not going to last. Their offense is 27th in the NHL right now in shots per game and 23rd in goals per game. But we all know this part of the team needs to pick up the pace if the Kings are going anywhere this season. I think it could be a sign of some concern if the Kings' offense continues to be provided by prime/older players (Smyth, Stoll, Williams). The only young player scoring goals right now is Brown, but again it's very early.

One thing to look for with the Kings game-by-game, and this was something I picked up on last season -- Terry Murray preaches a "shoot first and ask questions later" philosophy, so of course the Kings will attempt a lot of shots -- but take a look at how many of those shots actually get ON net, rather than being blocked or shot wide. If they're getting over half of their shot attempts through to the goalie, they're probably going to win the game.

Game 1 at Vancouver ... the Kings directed 55 shots at Luongo, and 32 of them (58%) got on net. The Canucks directed 45 shots at Quick, and 24 of them got on net (53%). They tied after OT, and got a shootout win.

Game 2 at Calgary ... the Kings directed 50 shots at Kiprusoff, and only 22 got on net (44%). They lost.

Game 3 vs Atlanta ... Kings directed 69 shots at Mason, and 35 of them got on net (51%). They won.

Game 4 vs Vancouver ... Kings directed 37 shots at Luongo, a very low total, but 19 of those got on net (again, 51%). They won.

Overall, the Kings have gotten 108 shots on net, out of 211 attempts. That's 51%. They've had 62 shots blocked, and sent 41 shots wide.

Also, take a look at this. The Kings poor power play hasn't been a result of bad luck. The Kings are dead last in the NHL in shots per 60 minutes on the power play. They're averaging about one shot on goal for every 2 minute power play. It's something all of us have noticed thus far, and it's keeping the team's overall shot total at the low level it currently sits. Part of it is that the Kings have only won about half of their faceoffs on the PP (13 out of 25), and that's unacceptable.

As for the rest of the league ... Dallas strikes me as a pretty lucky team so far. They're being outshot by an average of 36-22 every game, but they're winning. That won't last; no team can keep winning while giving up that many shots a game. I think New Jersey's played in tough luck thus far, and so has Buffalo. Toronto's played very well so far; obviously they won't stay undefeated, but they're looking impressive. St. Louis might be a team to watch out for, and Calgary looks great. I don't see Nashville keeping it up, and I think Washington might be ripe for a decline. It's way too soon to tell with anyone just yet.

Gentle Ben Kenobi 10-17-2010 09:56 AM

This thread is 10-15 games premature.

Sydor25 10-17-2010 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo (Post 28364847)

Too many days between games is all, something to talk about.

It's fun to jump to conclusions based on a small sample. ;)

KINGS17 10-17-2010 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Little Bunny Foo Foo (Post 28364847)

Premature season outcome prediction is treatable. Ask your doctor about _______ .

yankeeking 10-17-2010 11:07 AM

I think we will know more about our strengths and weakness' two weeks from this morning after a five game roadie with 2 back to backs and playing other west conf. teams and coming home to meet the devils in which at least for us (fans) should be somewhat emotional type game. We will see bernier a couple of times and should get to see all the kids before their ten game limit so we can see for real if they are closr enough to stick, preseason is still a crap shoot for that stuff. Only the hawks are going to be favored over us and if we can go 4-2 or 5-1 we will obviously be in great shape and have a confidence level. Lokti looked good and seem to be getting better but he will need to score/assist to keep that line productive the old guy line will get tired next week lol

Legionnaire 10-17-2010 11:19 AM

We LOST 11 STRAIGHT GAMES to end the season and fall out of playoff contention; that was the moment I realized I should always wait for the fat lady when dealing with the Kings (known that about the Dodgers for years!)

wabwat 10-17-2010 01:23 PM

it may be a little early too, but we might also be looking at the best defensive team in the league.

BringTheReign 10-17-2010 03:47 PM

Nashville always ices a solid team. Their team discipline and focus is outstanding. Trotz and Poile have done a great job there. I don't see any surprise there.

Mully12 10-17-2010 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BringTheReign (Post 28369878)
Nashville always ices a solid team. They're team discipline and focus is outstanding. Trotz and Poile have done a great job there. I don't see any surprise there.

Ya Nashville always seems to be a bubble team towards the end of the season. They usually do it without a huge name superstar too.

Dallas I think will drop off. The loss of Modano and Turco in the locker room will probably hurt them more than it will on the ice. Still a team to watch with how they've been playing.

Toronto is legit. A healthy Phil Kessel, rejuvinated Dion Phanuef, and role players playing very well for them right now. I think they will be fighting for the division if they can stay healthy.

It may be a young season, but a good start can only help you.

SLang 10-17-2010 05:02 PM

Thread seems legit to me. Far as I know the points gained in the first 10 games of any season are worth just as much as any gained in the last 10.

The Tikkanen 10-17-2010 05:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLang (Post 28371045)
Thread seems legit to me. Far as I know the points gained in the first 10 games of any season are worth just as much as any gained in the last 10.

Exactly. I've never heard of the 10 points in 10 games stat before this week but as you can see around the league with starting goalies playing back to back games it's legit. The race to 10 points is on!

Ron 03-25-2011 07:07 PM

I thought I would resurrect this thread from when I started it in October because now it is obvious that even though I knew it would be tough, I had no idea it would be this tough.

This conference race this year has been something else...I have never seen anything like it, and I doubt I will ever again. Last year was an amazing finish, but this year's finish makes last year's look pale by comparison.

I have never seen this many teams with very good records (outstanding records, really) vying for 8 playoff spots. Obviously, two very good teams that are deserving will not make it. I am still hoping that all 5 teams in the Pacific go, which means that at least Nashville or Chicago has to falter, but I don't see that happening either.

It's true that the inflated points per game (3 for just about every WC game in the past month) has something to do with it, but all these teams are playing unbelievable hockey right now...and as far as San Jose and Los Angeles goes, NHL on the Fly had an amazing stat last night: only 8 regulation losses by both teams over a 57 game stretch.

Incredible.

GaryLivingston 03-25-2011 08:15 PM

I don't have any nails left. =/ haha