HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Deals, Draft Mean Changes (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=83156)

KING 06-10-2004 07:03 AM

Deals, Draft Mean Changes

http://www.ctnow.com/sports/hockey/h...adlines-hockey

The Rangers could be primed for several draft day deals after adding six picks in their housecleaning of high-priced veterans at the trading deadline. With veterans salaries expected to be squeezed and the number of the veterans on AHL teams likely reduced from six to five, there could be more free agents available after July 1, when qualifying offers must be made to retain a player's rights.

Potted Plant 06-10-2004 09:48 AM

If we're going to make some draft day deals, I have my eye on Minnesota's first rounder. Something tells me they may be willing to trade it for immediate help. The question is, do we have any immediate help to give them?

KFC 06-10-2004 09:59 AM

The Rangers need a bluechipper and they have the picks to move up so i would expect them to try to move up to #2 and draft Malkin(a CENTER!!! :banana: ) Because the penguins may be afraid they wont be able to sign him

NYR469 06-10-2004 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KFC
The Rangers need a bluechipper and they have the picks to move up so i would expect them to try to move up to #2 and draft Malkin(a CENTER!!! :banana: ) Because the penguins may be afraid they wont be able to sign him

they will try, but good chance the price will be too high and pitt will keep the pick

Fletch 06-10-2004 10:27 AM

You can get a blue chipper...

at the #6 spot too. So I'm not too sure I would move up in the draft from 6 to 2 given what it'll take to move up. I'd be more willing to try for another top 10, although somebody mentioned the last time the Rangers did that (Lundmark and Brendl) and it's left a bad taste in my mouth.

Edge 06-10-2004 06:53 PM

I think it could work so long as a team doesn't get caught in a draft day spending spree where they over pay for players because the temptation is so high.

NYR469 06-10-2004 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Edge
I think it could work so long as a team doesn't get caught in a draft day spending spree where they over pay for players because the temptation is so high.

in addition to the temptation of going after guys who are highly rated, we also have to worry about overpaying to make a deal for PR purposes...we all know that msg are a bunch of PR-****** and acquiring a franchise player like malkin sure would look great pr-wise as they promote the 'rebuild'...

while getting malkin would be great, it should be done cause it is the right move, not because they can hype him easier than olesz

free0717 06-10-2004 09:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HighlyRegardedRookie
If we're going to make some draft day deals, I have my eye on Minnesota's first rounder. Something tells me they may be willing to trade it for immediate help. The question is, do we have any immediate help to give them?

Minnesota wont trade there 1st round pick, its not there way, however I think the Kings may trade one of there picks and Pitt might want to trade back due to a lack of a transfer agreement with the IIHF.

free0717 06-10-2004 09:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYR469
in addition to the temptation of going after guys who are highly rated, we also have to worry about overpaying to make a deal for PR purposes...we all know that msg are a bunch of PR-****** and acquiring a franchise player like malkin sure would look great pr-wise as they promote the 'rebuild'...

while getting malkin would be great, it should be done cause it is the right move, not because they can hype him easier than olesz

Olesz cant be mentioned in the same breath as Malkin. i dont know what it would take, but I would put together a nice package for the no. 2.

NYR469 06-10-2004 10:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by free0717
Olesz cant be mentioned in the same breath as Malkin. i dont know what it would take, but I would put together a nice package for the no. 2.

the point wasn't to compare olesz to malkin but rather the fact that hockey-wise we might be better off with olesz and the other players we get with the picks we'd have to trade and/or prospects we'd have to trade than severally overpaying for malkin...

if we can get malkin i'll be doing flips but we can only make the trade 'within reason'

Edge 06-10-2004 10:28 PM

Quote:

I wouldnt go that far. Olesz is just as good as Malkin and has just as high a top end {maybe higher} but wasnt as consistent this year and as a result wont be picked as high.

thestonedkoala 06-10-2004 11:35 PM

Unless a guy like Pock or Balej is coming back Minnesota isn't looking to move unless it's down. We don't need really much help, we're going through a youth movement too :D

Potted Plant 06-11-2004 06:29 AM

Quote:

Minnesota wont trade there 1st round pick, its not there way, however I think the Kings may trade one of there picks and Pitt might want to trade back due to a lack of a transfer agreement with the IIHF.

I don't see how we can determine what exactly Minnesota's "way" is, considering they've only been in the league a few years. In an organization's infancy, it makes perfect sense to be totally unwilling to trade draft picks for immediate help. The organization is not yet built, and your team is not going to be particularly good even with the immediate help. But the Minnesota franchise is no longer in infancy, and they're reasonably close to being a contending team as their young players grow. I think they may be open to trading draft picks for immediate help. I also think that the fact they have not done this during their short history is no reason to think they would not do so now.

thestonedkoala 06-11-2004 01:25 PM

Dude...We are moving toward YOUTH...we don't want immediate help!