HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Do you snack during the game? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=831886)

Pierre Gotye 10-19-2010 08:10 PM

Do you snack during the game?

Just curious if anyone does this maybe between periods? Not that in beer league I really think there's enough time, but a banana or orange would seem to be the way to go if you can chow down quick and don't mind hockey glove coated fruits. ;)

bignastay* 10-19-2010 08:20 PM

I'll just have like a banana or something during intermission if I need it.

The Tikkanen 10-19-2010 08:27 PM

In the beer leagues I'm in I think there is about 90 seconds between periods and the benches are disgusting. If the cap on my water hits the ground it doesn't go back on. I couldn't imagine why anybody who doesn't have some sort of medical issue would possibly need any kind of snack while playing hockey. Gatorade or water, that's it.

AIREAYE 10-19-2010 08:40 PM

yeah, I suppose a lot of valuable blood and energy goes into digesting the food and thus, cramps during the game?

Seanconn* 10-19-2010 10:08 PM

eat a nice big meal full of cabrs before... no need to eat during a game, really ever.

ponder 10-19-2010 10:49 PM

I just try to eat a good meal 2 hours or more before the game, nothin but water during the game.

Biscuit88 10-20-2010 02:57 AM

Our pick up games are usually two hours long with 5 minute shifts ( yes we are a bunch of hacks, mostly guys 35 years and over ) I sometimes snack on gummy bears.

koh19 10-20-2010 06:28 AM

I usually have an energy bar (carb loaded or something) that the team provides during the intermission. I'll usually have 2-3 bites during each pause.

Our team also provides hot tea, an energy drink mix of some sort, cut slices of oranges and lemons, some kind of caffeine/guarana drink and water.

shoeshine boy 10-20-2010 07:40 AM

I had a teammate this past season that brought oranges to eat on the bench. after he ate them he tossed them over the glass even though there was a trash can right next to him. the rink manager ripped him a new one! :laugh:

Jarick 10-20-2010 08:43 AM

Nope, and once I started eating primal, I don't have to have any food before games either. I'll often skate on an empty stomach Saturday mornings and it makes no difference. The human body doesn't really need to refuel unless you're working for hours and hours on end.

Harv 10-20-2010 01:46 PM

Only if it's multiple overtimes.

Briere Up There* 10-20-2010 02:12 PM

I don't even drink water during the game, nevermind snack.

densetsu 10-20-2010 05:54 PM

During a regular-length game, I can't remember occasions where I've eaten during a game.

In long shinny/drop-in sessions (2+ hours), or in between games in tournaments, I'll grab something like a Clif bar or FruitSource bar. I also eat these things before 5:30am morning games, or if I didn't have time for a "real" meal before a game. Very handy to have a few in the car or in your bag.

The real trick is to learn the limits of the body, and listen to the feedback it gives you. Don't be embarassed if you're the only guy eating on the bench during a game -- if you feel you need it, then go for it. I've had a case where I skimped on the pre-game meal, then played an unexpected double-header. In the second game's second period, I was light-headed and had "tunnel vision" (peripheral vision was blacking out). I'm not diabetic, but I assume this was from low blood sugar (I drank my usual amount of water). It wasn't a good feeling.

BlackDog13 10-20-2010 06:01 PM

I like pizza or nachos and a few beers.

Wait, you mean if you're playing.....:laugh:

Schenn 10-20-2010 06:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RogerRogerRoeper (Post 28425445)
I don't even drink water during the game, nevermind snack.

This. I just don't need water. Thats what I get for being a Cross Country runner :laugh: