HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Nik Zherdev (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=831921)

pmorris 10-19-2010 09:49 PM

Nik Zherdev

As a Ranger fan, I haven't seen any of your games, but I'm really curious as to how Zherdev is fitting in with the Flyers. I always thought he was an incredible talent, but there was some intangible thing missing in his game. And he seems like kind of a headcase. I know its early in the year, but what are your first impressions of the guy?

RoDu 10-19-2010 09:51 PM

he'd be a good figure skater

King Forsberg 10-19-2010 09:55 PM

He's still working things out but soon he will fit in and start putting up numbers

JCameron418 10-19-2010 09:57 PM

He puts on a good show for the kids

Flyersfan1493 10-19-2010 10:06 PM

Sometimes he makes me go WOW in a good way, but other times he makes me go WOW in a bad way.

usahockey22flyers 10-19-2010 10:16 PM

I havent been to frusturated about his play, Lavy has to get him and JvR more PP time

RJ8812* 10-19-2010 10:19 PM

to quote GSP: "I'm not impressss by you performance"

but I'm willing to give him 10-15 games before i start to hate him and wish he'd be gone

Terence Peterman 10-19-2010 10:22 PM

His pirouettes are largely unnecessary, but I do enjoy a nice open ice hit.

SolidSnakeUS 10-19-2010 10:37 PM

Hopefully he figures something out or else I think he would be gone or barely used.

StandingCow 10-19-2010 11:21 PM

Shows potential, but that is it.

Beef Invictus 10-19-2010 11:32 PM

he's climbing my **** list fast due to his lack of effort/general WTFness. If his style starts racking up points that'll help, but so far i'd rather have gagne back. right now im happier overall with Scott "Gravity" Hartnell than I am with Zherdev. He has maybe 2 shifts a game where he really works his ass off, then seems to disappear.

Garbage Goal 10-20-2010 12:29 AM

He's climbing my **** list fast.

OriginJM 10-20-2010 02:14 AM

Typical Zherdev period:

Shift 1: Grab the puck and spin
Shift 2: Spin then grab the puck
Shift 3: Spin and then lose the puck
Shift 4: Lose the puck then spin
Shift 5: Spin

Repeat until intermission.

Spongolium* 10-20-2010 05:18 AM

The style of his play doesn't help when "looking" like he is trying hard either. Carter has a very fluid skating motion, looks like he isn't trying, but he is moving quicker than everyone else on the ice.

You won't get anything if you don't try

Tender Rip 10-20-2010 05:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spongolium (Post 28419284)
The style of his play doesn't help when "looking" like he is trying hard either.

How about we trade you Dupuis for Zherdev then?
Pascal is always trying hard, is solid enough on the PK that you can rest your stars there a little, and gives respectable secondary scoring for a third line checker. You even save yourselves some cap-room.

Plus, Pascal isn't Russian :yo: !

Dig Out Your Soul 10-20-2010 06:24 AM

I don't think he fits in at all.

Trying to replace the hole in the lineup caused by Gagne's trade with Zherdev was...weird, at best. We had a team that really bonded in the playoffs and played their hearts out for each other. Bringing in an enigmatic Euro who doesn't speak English to a team populated almost entirely by Canadians, or at the very least English-speaking non-Canadians, and a guy who has a questionable work ethic wasn't how you replace Gagne.

I doubt it will work out in our favour.

Valhoun* 10-20-2010 07:05 AM

He will easily be worth his 2M simply because he'll score 20 goals and do some fancy things.

But, obviously, there are large holes to his game but I don't see anything in his performance that was unexpected. He'll likely get better as the season moves on and he gets readjusted to the NA game but he will also never be a complete player.

Much of the team has started off fairly slow and still finding their groove. Only a small handful of players are probably happy with their individual performance so far.

Cartsiephan* 10-20-2010 07:39 AM

Pretty much like I have said from the beginning, lots of flash but little substance and as his minutes diminish he gets lost and becomes invisible except for a couple "wow's" that make you wonder why the kid does not score more.

Cmoneyflyguy 10-20-2010 08:45 AM

As opposed to most of the reactionary posters on this board, I will reserve judgment for at least a few games.

The same way I didn't go ga-ga when he led the team in preseason scoring, I'm not going to go ape**** after a slow start 5 games in.

1865 10-20-2010 09:07 AM

I'm surprised some people on here gave him 5 games before they wrote him off. Couldn't have anything to do with his nationality? ;)

Cartsiephan* 10-20-2010 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1865 (Post 28420458)
I'm surprised some people on here gave him 5 games before they wrote him off. Couldn't have anything to do with his nationality? ;)

If most Russians are lazy skill players who refuse to play defense or get involved in anything other than flash and dash, well maybe so.

LEIFey 10-20-2010 09:32 AM

I'll give him another 5-10 games before throwing him under the bus. Guy does need a fire lit under his ass. He's clearly skilled but if he doesn't put in some harder efforts and sacrifice, he won't last long.

Valhoun* 10-20-2010 09:47 AM

There are a few other players that I'd be criticizing before Zherdev at the moment. His 1 goal in 5 games and even +/- is by no means stellar but that makes him look like an all-star compared to some other guys.

Mgkibbles 10-20-2010 09:48 AM

He plays too much on the perimeter, a lot of east-west, not enough north-south. Also his decision making is off. The skill is certainly there though, Zherdev just needs to play tougher and less fancy, but I feel like people have been saying that since he was drafted and not much has changed, so who knows.

vera1964 10-20-2010 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cartsiephan (Post 28420518)
If most Russians are lazy skill players who refuse to play defense or get involved in anything other than flash and dash, well maybe so.

Or maybe if certain hard-working Canadians learn how to stay out of the penalty box for more than 3 consequtive minuts, then certain "lazy" players will get a chance to actualy show you what hockey is.

Your team is painful to watch right now. Zherdev is the least of your problems.