HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Columbus Blue Jackets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Fire Howson Thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=833077)

TaketheCannoli 10-22-2010 11:50 PM

Fire Howson Thread

I just wanted to kick of this season's fire Howson thread.

Frankly, after the Chicago and Calgary games, I just want to fire the entire franchise. Ship the whole package to Hamilton or Winnipeg or Quebec City and see if they sell out after ten years of a Three Stooges-esque operation.

When I reflect on the sheer insanity of standing pat with a hand that was a 14th place team and 26th overall, I'm just shocked. I feel Howson sabotaged the past coaching staff and is once more sabotaging Arniel's staff.

Doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result.

Renion 10-22-2010 11:55 PM

Agree or disagree with his faith in some of his investments, Howson has always struck me as intelligent and analytical. If the team continues to struggle with consistency, I'd be surprised if he took another "wait and see" approach, given that's how he handled last season. I might have to prepare to be surprised :sarcasm:

Pata93 10-22-2010 11:55 PM

:handclap:

I knew letting Guy Boucher decline the job (who is doing quite well in TB, see how Hedman looks now, same with Lecavalier...) would cost Howson job at some point, now I'm convinced this is his last season as a GM.

RichNash61 10-22-2010 11:59 PM

I agree, I think it goes back to the Brad Richards trade. It seems like he just sits on his hands and does nothing except trade with the Oliers over and over and over. He didnt add anyone to help his coaching staff get better. He is a very sad GM!

plong123 10-23-2010 12:02 AM

This is a difficult thread. It's only 6 games in. But the guys in the front of 206 and I were having this very discussion in the 3rd period tonight. Some were saying Arniel would be out of a job soon if this continues. But the coaching staff can only ice the guys that are on the roster. Howson, ultimately, is the one on the hot seat.

Crede777 10-23-2010 12:05 AM

I am torn. If I were Arniel, I'd be so pissed after tonight that I'd publicly ask Howson to "find me some talent I can work with" and then subsequently get fired.

I hate how Howson does stand pat. He doesn't make bad trades, but he also doesn't make very many trades AT ALL.

I can't blame him, though. So he bought into what Mason/Voracek/Filatov/Brassard are SUPPOSED to be? I would have too.

TaketheCannoli 10-23-2010 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Crede777 (Post 28478766)
I am torn. If I were Arniel, I'd be so pissed after tonight that I'd publicly ask Howson to "find me some talent I can work with" and then subsequently get fired.

I hate how Howson does stand pat. He doesn't make bad trades, but he also doesn't make very many trades AT ALL.

I can't blame him, though. So he bought into what Mason/Voracek/Filatov/Brassard are SUPPOSED to be? I would have too.

How is that different than buying into what Brule/Picard/Leclaire/Zherdev/Klesla were SUPPOSED to be?

and also, it's not so much the standing pat. I'm not for making changes for change's sake. If you listened to Arniel's post-game, he said he is learning a lot about this team, and a lot of it he doesn't like. CBJ management built a roster full of holes that also doesn't compete. No one can argue it was the second worst team in the Western Conference one year ago. It's the same team. Who is responsible?

leesmith 10-23-2010 12:20 AM

I argued last season that the roster Howson assembled was the problem moreso than Hitchcock. So it wouldn't sadden me a bit to see the heat turned up on this GM? $54 million for THIS?!?

Halfboard 10-23-2010 12:25 AM

Don't really know how much Niles can do. His hands may be tied by management. You know, we're a small market team, have to stay way under the cap, have to stay on budget, blah, blah, blah, blah...............:shakehead

blahblah 10-23-2010 12:47 AM

I've wanted him fired for a long time now, from his lack of performance after our only playoff performance. I would want it even if we were undefeated at this point.

So it's fair to say I am biased.

Crede777 10-23-2010 01:32 AM

Something's gotta give...

CapnCornelius 10-23-2010 01:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfboard (Post 28479030)
Don't really know how much Niles can do. His hands may be tied by management. You know, we're a small market team, have to stay way under the cap, have to stay on budget, blah, blah, blah, blah...............:shakehead

Well I'd feel for him..if the Preds didn't consistently do more with less.

And since we can't fire the idiot owners, well I guess we're left with Howson, then the players one by one.

Pluckfur 10-23-2010 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RichNash61 (Post 28478695)
I agree, I think it goes back to the Brad Richards trade. It seems like he just sits on his hands and does nothing except trade with the Oliers over and over and over. He didnt add anyone to help his coaching staff get better. He is a very sad GM!

And Brad Richards was simultaneous with the Foote Fiasco ... which was quickly followed by the Commodore signing ... and well, it really just never got any better from there.

2 years ago I started questioning the competence and effectiveness of the Howson administration (and boy were you people pissed! and not at all nice!) but I forgave you all because I understood that you all just really wanted to believe that the franchise could and would reverse it's fortunes.

Firing Howson now? I don't see what that's going to accomplish. And who would do it? Howson isn't going to fire himself. Priest has no bloody clue what the hell he's supposed to do. My advise to Priest is to call in Hitchcock immediately and use him as counsel as to what the next steps should be. Maybe Priest knows someone else in the Hockey world to ask advice from? (I somehow doubt it.)

Anyway - this roster is Howson's baby and Arniel his (albeit second) pick. Howson should be kept around until all the chickens have come home to roost. Arniel and Co. deserve a FULL pass so long as he continues to be a stand up guy, tells the truth, and does the best he can with our wishy-washy mish-mash of a roster.

mt-svk 10-23-2010 06:26 AM

Do not forget Tampa wanted Mason. This is a reason why this trade was not.

IMO we need not fire Howson we need call such players from Falcons.

RBarRegular 10-23-2010 07:00 AM

It's not going to happen. No way a financially - strapped team pays Hitch NOT to coach and Howson NOT to be the GM. I usually give GMSH the benefit of the doubt by saying that his hands are tied by the Arena Lease issue and the internal budget. But I can't get past my frustrations anymore. We've done NOTHING to improve our team.

Of our defensemen, how many would play for other teams in the league? Russell? Hejda? Klesla? Oh, and as I recall GMSH threw a lot of cash at Wade Redden in the summer of 08. Plus, and maybe I'm unfair, I just can't stand watching Fedor Tyutin play hockey anymore.

I just don't get not making a play on Souray. What are we afraid of? What are we waiting for? In fairness, I'm not in the room. Maybe we did try and it just didn't work out.

The culture here seems so bad that no one can thrive. Brassard would be better elsewhere. Filatov, Huselius, hell even Nash could probably go somewhere like Pittsburgh or Philly and win the Richard again. Fire Howson.

blahblah 10-23-2010 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RBarRegular (Post 28480996)
It's not going to happen. No way a financially - strapped team pays Hitch NOT to coach and Howson NOT to be the GM.

I don't think Howson is going paid a whole lot is he?

Having said that, some small reduction in roster salary can make up for that.

RBarRegular 10-23-2010 07:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blahblah (Post 28481026)
I don't think Howson is going paid a whole lot is he?

Having said that, some small reduction in roster salary can make up for that.

You're probably right. I don't know. I just can't see us paying two guys not to work. I guess a big part of my problem is, in the back of my mind, I see this being a make or break season in terms of the Blue Jackets even staying here. Is this the beginning of the end of the franchise? Will we be watching the Quebec Blue Jackets in two years? And maybe no one around the NHL will care. But there will be a lot of heartbroken fans in central Ohio including me. That said, WHAT ARE WE WAITING FOR?!!!!! At this point, I'm not even opposed to making changes for change's sake.

Jaxs 10-23-2010 09:19 AM

It is all up to the owners now. If they want to see a repeat of last season, they will just sit on their hands. If they want to get proactive and hold some butts to the fire, they will have already had some serious talks with their management team. We will know shortly what they want to do.

BluejacketNut 10-23-2010 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfboard (Post 28479030)

$54m is a good amount of money, middle of the NHL, its how he's spent that money that is pathetic. He should be fired on Commodores contract alone! Brass at $3m, Klesla at $3m, Clark making $2.6m (Chimera is 10x better then Clark), $2.9m next year for Steve 'I cant stop a point shot' Mason. This is what you get from a capologist, its entirely his own roster and it full of average skill with zero toughness.

I have lost all passion for this team, EVERYTHING about this organization sucks, from the product on the ice, to the product in the arena, none of it is enjoyable anymore. I half seriously joked to have my name taken off the 10 year plaque because of embarrassment of being associated with this organization for 10 years. Putting a person who has ZERO hockey experience in the role of president has been a total disaster.

The odds are very low that I will be making it to year 11 as a financial supporter of this team. Howson has no clue how to put together a competitive team, it cant be said enough about only adding 1 person to the 4th worst team in the NHL. Im more then onboard with firing Howson, but have zero faith that Priest can actually bring in anyone else to get the job done either

Robert 10-23-2010 10:40 AM

It's too early for this thread. Although I do question Howson's lack of action this summer and some of his contract offers the Arniel hire was a good one and he needs more time. What we are seeing on the ice now is essentially the same as we've seen for years.

The top veterans on this team must lead by example and they are not. If the Nash/Vermette/Huselius line can't get it done how can we expect the kid line to do it.

Mason is a part of the in game motivation as well. Soft goals are killing the small amount of heart and motivation the players have... This was evident in the loss last night when the score was 2-1 and he gave up a shot from the blue line.

Injuries so far canít be ignored either.

Howson has put together a roster that should be capable of making the playoffs.

jacks johnson 10-23-2010 10:48 AM

I dont understand why some of you even bother watching the jackets. We cant change the past, yes its frustrating, yes we have sucked. We are 3-3. Yes we have had 2 miserable showings, but as Pluck said, many of the changes Howson has made is the overall depth of the orginization, see Springfield.There is no doubt that many of the players seem to lack heart. I would honestly send Nash packing if somebody wants to overpay. The biggest problem with the jackets are our D men. Russell and maybe Methot are the only defenseman we have that can skate the puck up the ice. Many times Hedja, and Tyutin start to bring it up and circle back 2 sometimes 3 times before making a lame pass. You can not play arniels system when you cant quickly move the puck up the ice. I truly think its time to bring up both savard, and Moore. They cannot play any worse defensively. I would move Hedja and Tyutin. We should be able to get a decent return on Hedja for a more mobile defenseman. Maybe Bieska. Our whole offense is being stifeled from the back end. As far as Howson, this thread is crazy 6 games in. Lets see what Savard and Moore can bring, cause right now we are still playing Hitch hockey without the clutching and grabbing due to our lack of puckmovement and transition.

BluejacketNut 10-23-2010 10:49 AM

Sorry Robert, this team Howson put together is not capable of making the playoffs. Outside of RJ, and Dorsett, there is no heart to get us to the playoffs....and this team does not hae Detroit skill to make it to the playoffs on skill. The central division is going to crush this team

TaketheCannoli 10-23-2010 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert (Post 28481940)
It's too early for this thread. Although I do question Howson's lack of action this summer and some of his contract offers the Arniel hire was a good one and he needs more time. What we are seeing on the ice now is essentially the same as we've seen for years.

The top veterans on this team must lead by example and they are not. If the Nash/Vermette/Huselius line can't get it done how can we expect the kid line to do it.

Mason is a part of the in game motivation as well. Soft goals are killing the small amount of heart and motivation the players have... This was evident in the loss last night when the score was 2-1 and he gave up a shot from the blue line.

Injuries so far canít be ignored either.

Howson has put together a roster that should be capable of making the playoffs.

I think the problem is culture. It likely starts at the top in ownership, but that permeates the operation. If you look at well run businesses, they create a culture of high expectations and they hire to specific models. You might hate the Flyers or Red Wings, but they are consistent. Each well run business hires to a model. The Flyers regardless of GM know what a Flyer looks like. The Red Wings know what a Red Wing looks like. This permeates the sports business. Frankly, there are a number of teams in the NHL that have that atmosphere. Look at the NFL. The Steelers spend less than many other teams, yet maintain their excellence. So do the Ravens and Patriots. Conversely, look at the Jackets, Thrashers, Panthers, Oilers, Rangers etc. clueless operations. Look at the Browns and Bengals- same story. It's not necessarily based on spending, it's based on vision, high standards and professionalism.
When Hitchcock arrived, he said in the PSL holders meetings that the team needed accountability, they needed to acquire "glue players", and the team needed to get in shape. I took "glue" to mean guys who hold the players accountable. How many times have we heard whispers and even shouts about team conditioning? This is a culture of LOW expectations. Too much emphasis is placed on talent, and too little is placed on getting the right talented players. Give me players who prepare, refuse to quit and sell out to win. Please name the players on this roster who fit that description? So far, I got Umberger, Dorsett...who else?

Let me add a fish rots from the head down. I think the Jackets are not just coach killers, but also fan killers.

5StringBuzz 10-23-2010 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapnCornelius (Post 28479958)
Well I'd feel for him..if the Preds didn't consistently do more with less.

And since we can't fire the idiot owners, well I guess we're left with Howson, then the players one by one.

Quote:

Originally Posted by leek (Post 28482172)
I think the problem is culture. It likely starts at the top in ownership, but that permeates the operation. If you look at well run businesses, they create a culture of high expectations and they hire to specific models. You might hate the Flyers or Red Wings, but they are consistent. Each well run business hires to a model. The Flyers regardless of GM know what a Flyer looks like. The Red Wings know what a Red Wing looks like. This permeates the sports business.

These. Know-nothing ownership installed a know-nothing president, and together, they selected Howson. I wouldn't shed a tear for Howson if he were fired, but unless the hockey organization is staffed with hockey professionals in all positions, from President on down, no other changes will matter.

CBJWennberg41 10-23-2010 01:01 PM

Lol, I have no idea how to respond to this, but I'll givei t a shot.

6 games in, Let's trade Brassard. Mason isn't the same, Filatov is going off to Russia again. Voracek is overrated, and hey, let's strip Nash's C for the hell of it.

You guys expected a playoff team with a ROOKIE coach, a inexperienced roster, and brand new system that is the COMPLETE opposite of the system a year ago.

There will be growing pains, but Howson has this year to breathe, because of all the changes that take time to set in. Hes safe for now. But if we are last in the league at the draft or the losing continues next year I could see this being a possibility, but not right now.