HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Trade Rumors and Free Agent Talk (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=3)
-   -   Kings/Canadiens proposal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=83360)

Marksman 06-11-2004 06:22 AM

Kings/Canadiens proposal

After criticising other peoples proposals, I think its fair for me to give you your chances too. Here goes:

Kings get

Mathieu Garon + Montreal 1st pick, 18th overall

Habs get

Los Angeles 1st, 11th overall + rights for Ian Laperriere + conditional LA 3rd 2005 if he doesnt sign with 'em

Fire away!

willie 06-11-2004 06:44 AM

The biggest problem with this proposal is that Lapperriere is a UFA and could be free to sign with anyone. I have to think Lappy either resigns in LA or will leave via UFA, I can't see his rights being traded. And, really, I would argue that this is an overpayment by Montreal.

Maybe Garon + Mtl 2nd for the 11th? (though, as a Kings fan, I would be hesitant to make that deal if Kings scouts really like Montoya/Schwarz and he is there at 11)

Mike The Wall 06-11-2004 06:44 AM

Laperrier is a UFA already why would trade for him???? :dunno:

Marksman 06-11-2004 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willie
The biggest problem with this proposal is that Lapperriere is a UFA and could be free to sign with anyone. I have to think Lappy either resigns in LA or will leave via UFA, I can't see his rights being traded. And, really, I would argue that this is an overpayment by Montreal.

Maybe Garon + Mtl 2nd for the 11th? (though, as a Kings fan, I would be hesitant to make that deal if Kings scouts really like Montoya/Schwarz and he is there at 11)

Problem is Habs dont have 2nd rounder this year, it was dealt for Kovalev.

I was thinking Garon+1st for Kings 1st+2nd, but I couldnt decide if Kipper who went for 2nd rounder increases or decreases the value of comparable goalie.:)

Montoya/Schwarz angle crossed my mind too, but I would assume Kings want someone little more proven, who could step in right away?

I put Laperriere into mix, because I'd love to see him with Habs. This way Habs could show some dedication and talk to him first, before July 1st. I dont know how the system works but they could be in line compensation pick, aswell as that conditional if he goes back to LA or elsewhere.

FF de Mars 06-11-2004 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marksman2
After criticising other peoples proposals, I think its fair for me to give you your chances too. Here goes:

Kings get

Mathieu Garon + Montreal 1st pick, 18th overall

Habs get

Los Angeles 1st, 11th overall + rights for Ian Laperriere + conditional LA 3rd 2005 if he doesnt sign with 'em

Fire away!

Lappy doesn't hold value, so the deal is basically #18 + Garon for #11. As you said, Kipper brought a second rounder, so if I do a little math it would be #18 + 2nd for #11, which is not brutal, but which is not that good for the kings. #11 would get lot better guys, like Picard, as where #18 takes a considarable drop. I guess it depens on how high the Kings are on Garon, and if they think he can do the job next year, that's a good trade for them. But, as a hab fan, I'm not that high on the proposition either. I like Garon and I think he can become a starter (I even stated that I'd trade Theodore and promote him). However, I'd be ecctatic to draft Picard or another top end talent. Finally, considering that we keep Theodore and LA needs a goalie, the deal makes sense.

FF de Mars 06-11-2004 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willie

For overpayment, it depens how you look at it. It depens on which player is availible at #11 and at #18. It also depens if Garon is considered as a starter by the Kings. The way I see it: if LA trades for a reliable starter, they are high on him, and they plan on giving him a real chance to prove himself next year, they made a good deal. If they trade for Garon as a backup, as a 5th tire, as a backup solution, then it's a brutal deal. So my question for the Kings fans would be : which role do you want Garon to fit in LA, starter or backup?

tomd 06-11-2004 11:02 AM

for better or worse, the kings have both Cechmanek and Huet under contract for next season. one of those two would have to be dealt or released in order for a Garon deal to make sense. in all likelihood, Cechmanek and Huet will be the kings goalies in 2004-5.

FF de Mars 06-11-2004 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tomd
for better or worse, the kings have both Cechmanek and Huet under contract for next season. one of those two would have to be dealt or released in order for a Garon deal to make sense. in all likelihood, Cechmanek and Huet will be the kings goalies in 2004-5.

Considering that they have Huet and Czechmanek, it doesn't make sense for the kings to make that deal, I have to agree with you.

Fat Elvis 06-11-2004 11:35 AM

Agree with tomb, plus LA doesn't have a 2nd this year either. Not sure if our 2 teams are a good trading partner if it involves draft picks.

Malakhov 06-11-2004 01:02 PM

Lappy doesn't hold any value, he's gonna be a UFA.
So basicly it's Garon to move 7 spots in this year's draft from 11th to 18th? No thanks, what an overpayment.

FF de Mars 06-11-2004 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Malakhov
Lappy doesn't hold any value, he's gonna be a UFA.
So basicly it's Garon to move 7 spots in this year's draft from 11th to 18th? No thanks, what an overpayment.

#11 to #18, in this draft, is a very big difference. We move from top prospect to medium prospect.

Munchausen 06-11-2004 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FF de Mars
#11 to #18, in this draft, is a very big difference. We move from top prospect to medium prospect.

And Montreal loses a potential #1 goalie in the process. Don't kid yourself, this is a very average if not bellow average draft and every player that goes after the top 2 are question marks, even more so after the top 10, where it becomes a huge crap shoot. Only Mike Milbury would do that deal. It's horrible asset managment.

Malakhov 06-11-2004 02:06 PM

Quote:

Not in this year's draft. Like Munchausen said, it's an average to below average draft.

FF de Mars 06-11-2004 02:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Munchausen
And Montreal loses a potential #1 goalie in the process. Don't kid yourself, this is a very average if not bellow average draft and every player that goes after the top 2 are question marks, even more so after the top 10, where it becomes a huge crap shoot. Only Mike Milbury would do that deal. It's horrible asset managment.

Look man, don't go leathal on me, I'm against trading Garon, here's a quote from me from earlier in the thread to prove it.

Quote:

But, as a hab fan, I'm not that high on the proposition either. I like Garon and I think he can become a starter (I even stated that I'd trade Theodore and promote him).

However, I still think that the difference between #11 and #18 is pretty big, and if we wanted to move we'd have to give something important, like Garon for example, in return.

toughstuff 06-11-2004 07:06 PM

I am trying to think this through.

The way I see it is:

11th choice is at the mike. LA has the choice between Schwarz/Montoya and Garon.

Schwarz and Montoya are risks and there will be a return on investment in 4 to 5 years.

Garon has a pedigree. Canadian World Juniors starting goalie, AHL all star, brought up slowly through the rank with the HABS and is ready for more significant role.

LA has the choice: draft a goalie at 11th or Garon, ... goalie at 11th or Garon,.... goalie at 11th or Garon, ... goalie at 11th or Garon

I am LA, I trade the pick straight up for Garon.

I am HABS, No way I trade both Garon and 1st. I keep my first pick and give Hossa and Garon instead.

Legionnaire 06-11-2004 08:51 PM

Hossa and Garon sounds do-able to me. Care to make it Higgins? ;)

toughstuff 06-11-2004 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Legionnaire
Hossa and Garon sounds do-able to me. Care to make it Higgins? ;)

NO

Legionnaire 06-11-2004 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by toughstuff
NO

I was talking about Matt Higgins :snide: