HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Things I can do to improve my game, fitness, mental approach, etc... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=835524)

koh19 10-29-2010 10:35 AM

Things I can do to improve my game, fitness, mental approach, etc...

I'm looking to improve my hockey game as much as possible. I've still got 2-3 years to see if I can make it (to get a pro contract). People have told me I've made great improvements last season and I'm looking to get better in every area.

Here are a few things I do:

-do a warmup at home before practice and games, even though we warmup before actually going on the ice but just to get blood flowing and jump in the legs. Usually jump rope and sprints, 10-20 minutes.

-eat as healthy as I can, avoid sugary drinks, pizza, fatty foods, drink lots of water, eat enough protein, have carbs b4 practice and games, bring a post practice drink with me every time.

-go workout alone in the gym once a week (twice if I can manage, we already have 3 on ice sessions a week), focus on my core and especially on my upperbody to maintain muscle mass that I acquired during offseason

-avoid alcohol, of course I'll drink the odd beer every now and then but I don't really party and drink. I also try and avoid getting involved with the girls (relationships) cuz it takes time and makes you think too much.

my question is, what else can I do to get better? I'm almost sure I'm the only one (maybe 2-3 other guys do some of these things) that sacrifices so much for hockey.

I thought about this cuz one of my former teammates who works out like a madman all year round and has a great drive, is on his way to becoming a pro next year.

thanks.

Jarick 10-29-2010 11:06 AM

Working with a coach or teacher to improve your actual game. Those things all reduce distractions and can give you more strength and energy, but working with a power skating coach, improving all your on-ice skills, etc would be key.

What level are you playing now?

hsing 10-29-2010 01:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by koh19 (Post 28609958)
I'm looking to improve my hockey game as much as possible. I've still got 2-3 years to see if I can make it (to get a pro contract). People have told me I've made great improvements last season and I'm looking to get better in every area.

Here are a few things I do:

-do a warmup at home before practice and games, even though we warmup before actually going on the ice but just to get blood flowing and jump in the legs. Usually jump rope and sprints, 10-20 minutes.

-eat as healthy as I can, avoid sugary drinks, pizza, fatty foods, drink lots of water, eat enough protein, have carbs b4 practice and games, bring a post practice drink with me every time.

-go workout alone in the gym once a week (twice if I can manage, we already have 3 on ice sessions a week), focus on my core and especially on my upperbody to maintain muscle mass that I acquired during offseason

-avoid alcohol, of course I'll drink the odd beer every now and then but I don't really party and drink. I also try and avoid getting involved with the girls (relationships) cuz it takes time and makes you think too much.

my question is, what else can I do to get better? I'm almost sure I'm the only one (maybe 2-3 other guys do some of these things) that sacrifices so much for hockey.

I thought about this cuz one of my former teammates who works out like a madman all year round and has a great drive, is on his way to becoming a pro next year.

thanks.

1. Warm-up before game is tricky. It's really important you do it but at home, i fear it's far too soon and you will lose all benefits from it. Right now, research are saying those benefits last about 15 minutes after you've finished. May be you could replace this by visualisation so you are more focused on the game.

2. Now, I have no idea what you're eating/drinking and when you take it before games, but i recommend you take advices from a nutrionnist about what you should take and when you should take it to have maximum benefits. Depending of your coach, I would almost recommend you to take his advice with a grain of salt, because there is a lot of myths in this domain.