HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Al Iafrate's Stick Flex (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=835672)

Jarick 10-29-2010 02:58 PM

Al Iafrate's Stick Flex
 
Al Iafrate, holder of the hardest slapshot for many years, who's 6'4 240...uses a 100 flex stick. And he says your stick's probably too stiff.


RichNash61 10-29-2010 03:14 PM

Jarick,
Thanks for finding this!

Dave

robmneilson 10-29-2010 05:34 PM

Good video, but man...whoever shoots these REALLY needs to invest in a lavalier mic!

The Tikkanen 10-29-2010 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by robmneilson (Post 28617565)
Good video, but man...whoever shoots these REALLY needs to invest in a lavalier mic!

He has to be mic'ed for that kind of interview. I like what he had to say about flex. In game time speed your shots are usually under pressure where you won't be able to use perfect technique, footwork or use your hands properly, comes in handy to have a little extra flex.

dannythekid 10-30-2010 01:46 PM

What happened to his skullet? I'm so disappointed.

BadHammy* 10-30-2010 06:30 PM

Meh, it's relative. I'm a forward who's about 185 but I have been told that I "flex the s***" out of my 105 flex on slappers and one-timers. I really don't care about loading my wrister much in a game because I only focus on getting it off quickly. As long as I can get some flex on my snapper and not a lot while giving or receiving a pass, it works for me.

ponder 10-31-2010 02:00 AM

Agreed! I'm 6', 185 lbs, have been playing hockey since I was 8, and I use a 77 flex. Not sure if this is true, but I've heard that guys like Ovechkin and Kovalchuk use 77ish flex sticks too, and I think Phil Kessel actually uses and intermediate stick. It certainly looks quite whippy here:


However, it definitely comes down to personal preference, the guys I know who like stiffer sticks feel their shots are more accurate and predictable with a stiff stick than with a whippy one.

Cowbell232 10-31-2010 09:32 AM

As when you get as many sticks as you need using a whippier stick which your going to break more often is fine. I like the trade off of a slightly weaker shot for having sticks last. They're too expensive and I can still score.

BadHammy* 10-31-2010 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowbell232 (Post 28651908)
As when you get as many sticks as you need using a whippier stick which your going to break more often is fine. I like the trade off of a slightly weaker shot for having sticks last. They're too expensive and I can still score.

That's a VERY good point. Sticks tend to break in regarding stiffness after a bit, so a 100 becomes a 90, an 85 becomes a 77 etc. I know he uses about an 80 flex, but anyone notice how many sticks Ovechkin goes through? I've seen him pop through 3 or 4 a game (not all breaking because of opponent slashes either). Hell, go for it if you can foot the bill!

ponder 10-31-2010 10:33 AM

Ovechkin just might put a bit more power into his shots than the rest of us :) I'm 6', 185 lbs, use whippy sticks, shoot fairly hard, and very rarely snap sticks.

cptjeff 10-31-2010 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponder (Post 28652413)
Ovechkin just might put a bit more power into his shots than the rest of us :) I'm 6', 185 lbs, use whippy sticks, shoot fairly hard, and very rarely snap sticks.

And he does use a 75 flex stick. Adds up to quite a few broken sticks, but it has an effect. Cam Ward specifically mentioned the whippy stick as a big part of what made Ovechkin so hard to stop in an interview a few days ago.

greech 10-31-2010 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cowbell232 (Post 28651908)
As when you get as many sticks as you need using a whippier stick which your going to break more often is fine. I like the trade off of a slightly weaker shot for having sticks last. They're too expensive and I can still score.

This is false. Whippier sticks don't break more often unless you're eating ice with your shot, and at that point its not your flex you should be worrying about.

budster 10-31-2010 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by greech (Post 28659407)
This is false. Whippier sticks don't break more often unless you're eating ice with your shot, and at that point its not your flex you should be worrying about.

It's true if the stick is SO STIFF a player can't bend it at all. That's probably how this rumor started.

--
stick flex analogy video

Jarick 11-01-2010 09:07 AM

The only way a stiffer stick will last longer is if you're barely flexing it at all. Whippy sticks can eventually crack over time, but if you're taking a ton of ice and really leaning into a stiffer stick just to get it to move, you'll probably end up snapping it anyway, and you're leaving a lot of power on the table.

TBLfan 11-01-2010 06:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponder (Post 28650328)
Agreed! I'm 6', 185 lbs, have been playing hockey since I was 8, and I use a 77 flex. Not sure if this is true, but I've heard that guys like Ovechkin and Kovalchuk use 77ish flex sticks too, and I think Phil Kessel actually uses and intermediate stick. It certainly looks quite whippy here:

However, it definitely comes down to personal preference, the guys I know who like stiffer sticks feel their shots are more accurate and predictable with a stiff stick than with a whippy one.

Kovalchuk uses 95-105 flex sticks.

Pierre Gotye 11-01-2010 06:58 PM

I use a 65 flex(Intermediate stick), and I am 6'7 215. I wish I had a stiffer twig to see the difference sometimes.

Pierre Gotye 11-01-2010 07:14 PM

Ovechkin uses a 79 flex?

ponder 11-01-2010 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brentbreakaway23 (Post 28675181)
I use a 65 flex(Intermediate stick), and I am 6'7 215. I wish I had a stiffer twig to see the difference sometimes.

If this is a joke I don't get it. If true, you're 6'7" and you use and INTERMEDIATE stick? Why? The plug on the end of that thing must be absolutely massive.
Quote:

Originally Posted by TBLfan (Post 28674707)
Kovalchuk uses 95-105 flex sticks.

Fair enough, heard that somewhere, but as I said I was not sure if it was true.

BadHammy* 11-01-2010 10:55 PM

Even if you don't break the whippier stick, it will "whip out" faster. Though I think better sticks these days tend to whip out much slower than in the past, it's still a legit issue. I also simply don't like sticks bowing on passes unless it's a slap pass. The feeling is just odd to me.

Pierre Gotye 11-02-2010 06:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponder (Post 28677560)
If this is a joke I don't get it. If true, you're 6'7" and you use and INTERMEDIATE stick? Why? The plug on the end of that thing must be absolutely massive.

Fair enough, heard that somewhere, but as I said I was not sure if it was true.

Not really.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 01:18 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.