HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   News Article: Flyers' Giroux establishing himself as an elite player (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=837158)

SolidSnakeUS 11-02-2010 04:52 PM

Flyers' Giroux establishing himself as an elite player

Love to hear him get the recognition he deserves :D.
Sorry if this was already posted.

Quote:

Giroux already has seven goals this season -- he scored a total of 16 last season and didn't notch his seventh goal until Dec. 17. He's also recorded three shorthanded goals after not having any over his first two NHL seasons.

"Anytime you play in a League like this, you try and show up every game and try to help your team win," Giroux told NHL.com. "I think if you look at our roster, we have a lot of elite players so I'm just trying to fit in on this team. Whatever my role is, I'm ready to take it on. This team has been successful in the past because guys know their roles."

Laviolette admits Giroux hasn't put on the brakes since his memorable playoff performance last spring.

"Once the playoffs start, everybody gets a new lease on life and its a chance to right your own story on how you want to be seen as a hockey player," Laviolette said. "I thought Claude did a terrific job in the playoffs for us last year and it has just kind of carried over to this season. Everything he was doing right in the playoffs, he's doing now for our team."

Giroux is second on the team among forwards in ice time per game (19:15) -- he averaged 16:36 in 2009-10 -- and has won 52.3 percent of his face-offs (80 of 153). He averages over three minutes each game on the power-play and penalty-kill and is also having an impact in those areas as well. In fact, he leads the team with three shorthanded goals -- the franchise record for a season is seven.
If you want the full article, follow the link.

Link

Garbage Goal 11-02-2010 04:57 PM

"establishing himself as an elite player"

...My Lord.:facepalm:

SolidSnakeUS 11-02-2010 05:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbage Goal (Post 28692707)

All I did was post the article, man.

mirimon 11-02-2010 05:01 PM

I don't know anything about that Tony Greco guy... but maybe some other Flyers could have him overseeing their summer training. Powe and Giroux must be some of the most fit players in the league.

mirimon 11-02-2010 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Garbage Goal (Post 28692707)

Depends on your definition of the word "elite", I suppose. If you go by the boring 90 forwards are 1st-liners routine, he's most definitely a 1st liner at the moment, at least.

Where would he end up on that list, around the middle? Where is the cut-off to those labeled "elite"?

Wils98 11-02-2010 05:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mirimon (Post 28692762)
I don't know anything about that Tony Greco guy... but maybe some other Flyers could have him overseeing their summer training. Powe and Giroux must be some of the most fit players in the league.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5MKqH...layer_embedded

CS 11-02-2010 05:13 PM

The player may be elite, but the writing isn't.

Quote:

"Once the playoffs start, everybody gets a new lease on life and its a chance to right your own story on how you want to be seen as a hockey player," Laviolette said. "I thought Claude did a terrific job in the playoffs for us last year and it has just kind of carried over to this season. Everything he was doing right in the playoffs, he's doing now for our team."
Other than that, great article.

Amateur Hour 11-02-2010 05:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Shafer (Post 28692947)
The player may be elite, but the writing isn't.

Other than that, great article.

Speaking of which, I came across an article of yours on Bleacher Report as I was searching Giroux's name in Google. Listen, I've been talking about Giroux as a future star in this league for 2 years, but Wayne Gretzky? Come on, dude, hyperbole much? What are you doing? Do you even have an editor?

EDIT: For whatever reason, the link just shows up as **********, but you know what I'm talking about.

CS 11-02-2010 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amateur Hour (Post 28693018)
Speaking of which, I came across this article of yours as I was searching Giroux's name in Google.

Long time ago, long before I worked here or ever did any work as a writer. I don't even remember where the article was or what it was in reference to. Can't follow the link either.

Did I really compare him to Gretzky? I'd be pretty shocked if I called him the "next Wayne Gretzky" or something that stupid. I'm pretty sure I didn't, so I would appreciate it if you didn't imply such a thing.

I probably posted his junior numbers from the playoffs in reference to Lemieux's. That's the only article I can remember about Giroux.

Quote:

EDIT: For whatever reason, the link just shows up as **********, but you know what I'm talking about.

Not really. I was at a few different places. They were amateur. I didn't always bother proofreading honestly.

Now that I write here, I proofread my articles, and I have an editor that does it as well. I don't proofread my posts though. I should probably do that more often. I catch myself making mistakes all the time, so I never meant to imply that I was perfect. I just find it funny that something slipped through the cracks on NHL.com. It's a rare occurrence.

Valhoun* 11-02-2010 05:27 PM

Quote:

Speaking of which, I came across an article of yours on Bleacher Report as I was searching Giroux's name in Google. Listen, I've been talking about Giroux as a future star in this league for 2 years, but Wayne Gretzky? Come on, dude, hyperbole much? What are you doing? Do you even have an editor?

That's because the Bleacher Report, even though it is correct sometimes, is generally a big pile of **** that has rightfully earned the hatred of just about every respectable writer out there.

CS 11-02-2010 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valhoun (Post 28693116)
That's because the Bleacher Report, even though it is correct sometimes, is generally a big pile of **** that has rightfully earned the hatred of just about every respectable writer out there.

I never wrote for Bleacher Report. Probably TheHockeyWriters.com or a random Philly-based blog.

Amateur Hour 11-02-2010 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Shafer (Post 28693028)
Long time ago, long before I worked here or ever did any work as a writer. I don't even remember where the article was or what it was in reference to. Can't follow the link either.

Did I really compare him to Gretzky? I'd be pretty shocked if I called him the "next Wayne Gretzky" or something that stupid. I'm pretty sure I didn't, so I would appreciate it if you didn't imply such a thing.

Is that so? Article published to the website on October 30, 2010.

Title: Claude Giroux of the Philadelphia Flyers Could Be the Next “Great One”

Last sentence: "We could very well be looking at the next Wayne Gretzky."

Here's the Google link: http://news.google.com/news/story?q=...ed=0CDgQqgIwBQ

So... uh... yeah. Whatever, it's not like I really care, it was just ridiculous. What you could claim, however, is that you're not the author, seeing as how this guy spells his name Chris Schaefer. Then again, I don't know why you'd take responsibility if it wasn't you who wrote it. My head hurts.

CS 11-02-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amateur Hour (Post 28693173)

So... uh... yeah. Whatever, it's not like I really care, it was just ridiculous. What you could claim, however, is that you're not the author, seeing as how this guy spells his name Chris Schaefer. Then again, I don't know why you'd take responsibility if it wasn't you who wrote it. My head hurts.

My name is not Chris Schaefer.

I didn't take responsibility. I figured you had stumbled on an old philly blog or something. I certainly never likened Giroux to Gretzky. The closest I've come that I can remember is comparing Giroux's QMJHL playoff numbers to super Mario's QMJHL playoff numbers that were record-breaking. That's all I remember anyway.

I only assumed that because I didn't notice you said BleacherReport.

At the bottom it also says:

Quote:

This article was also published here: Philly Sports God Blog
Never wrote for them either. In fact, I have no idea who they are.

dingbathero 11-02-2010 05:35 PM

Quote:

A Twin?:sarcasm:

CS 11-02-2010 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dingbathero (Post 28693222)
A Twin?:sarcasm:

Apparently. :facepalm:

Valhoun* 11-02-2010 05:39 PM

Quote:

So... uh... yeah. Whatever, it's not like I really care, it was just ridiculous.

That is bat**** insane.

The average goals per game during Gretzky's 215 point season was 7.94. The average goals per game last year was 5.68.

To equal Gretzky's dominance a player would have had to score 153 points which, while not impossible, is definitely nothing that Giroux will ever even come close to. Hell, I'd say that 135 or 140 would be at Gretzky's level and that is still a herculean task as Sedin led the league with just 112.

CS 11-02-2010 05:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Valhoun (Post 28693287)
That is bat**** insane.

The average goals per game during Gretzky's 215 point season was 7.94. The average goals per game last year was 5.68.

To equal Gretzky's dominance a player would have had to score 153 points which, while not impossible, is definitely nothing that Giroux will ever even come close to. Hell, I'd say that 135 or 140 would be at Gretzky's level and that is still a herculean task as Sedin led the league with just 112.

Yeah, I'm not really sure who Chris SChaEfer is, but he seems a bit loony.

Fuzzy Bunny 11-02-2010 05:41 PM

Pens fan just dropping in to say that Giroux is an amazing hockey player. Doesn't matter what team he plays for he is a guy that everybody should appreciate. Excellent player and he will be a long-time Flyer I am sure.

Amateur Hour 11-02-2010 06:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Duke (Post 28693306)
Pens fan just dropping in to say that Giroux is an amazing hockey player. Doesn't matter what team he plays for he is a guy that everybody should appreciate. Excellent player and he will be a long-time Flyer I am sure.

And hopefully a long-time Penguin killer, as well. :) He's certainly planting the seeds. It's about time we had one of those guys, seeing as how Crosby has done nothing but **** on us over the course of his career.

SeanVT395 11-02-2010 06:39 PM

hahaha, That is the most homer player profile i've ever read. I can't believe he was serious. And to make matters even funnier the authors name is Chris Schaefer :laugh:. For a second I thought Shafer had gone insane there.

Beef Invictus 11-02-2010 07:22 PM

i can understand a comparison to Gretzky, because like Wayne, Giroux's best asset is probably his vision.

but to call him the next Gretzky? that guy is insane. Gretzky re-defined "dominant" pretty much starting with his rookie year.

JCameron418 11-02-2010 07:54 PM

He's no Steve Stamkos

CS 11-02-2010 08:05 PM

Someone on facebook posted this. Roo and Powe plus others training.

Beef Invictus 11-02-2010 08:18 PM

holy god. powe looks like he eats the weights when he's done with them, to gain their power

Raffl House 11-02-2010 08:36 PM

Does that guy offer sessions in Philadelphia? Haha