HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   JVR healthy scratch Saturday ? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=838627)

SgtJoseph 11-06-2010 01:03 AM

JVR healthy scratch Saturday ?

Heard this on the NHL channel tonight, and i think it will be a good idea, give him a little time to watch the team from up on the perch and get a different perspective etc. Sometimes this type approach can can really work wonders for a young player, and older ones as well for that matter. Z seems like he has figured a few things out since his healthy scratch session etc. I like JVR, If he is scratched Saturday i hope he makes the most of it and learns a few things during his down time.

CS 11-06-2010 01:07 AM

I disagree with the reasoning behind this move, but I'll trust Lavi with his decision.

The question is, who is replacing him?

Briere's suspended.

Nodl is hurt.

We already had to take Zherdev off of the scratch list and even call up Wellwood.

sa cyred 11-06-2010 01:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Shafer (Post 28768479)
I disagree, but I'll trust Lavi with his decision.

Briere's suspended.

Nodl is hurt.

We already had to take Zherdev off of the scratch list and even call up Wellwood.

I think this would be a good decision to scratch.

Also from what I read Nodl practiced today on a line with Richards and Wellwood? Where did you hear he is hurt? (I was reading the twitter feed on Nodl)

Quote:

Andreas Nodl has recovered from a shoulder injury and could return Saturday. During part of Friday’s practice, Nodl was on a line with Mike Richards and Eric Wellwood, leaving to speculation that struggling winger James van Riemsdyk (0 goals) could be a healthy scratch Saturday/

http://www.philly.com/philly/blogs/i..._Carcillo.html

JeffMangum 11-06-2010 01:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Shafer (Post 28768479)
I disagree with the reasoning behind this move, but I'll trust Lavi with his decision.

Briere's suspended.

Nodl is hurt.

They said in the same commercial that Nodl was practicing with Richards and Wellwood, so take it for what it's worth.

KimiFerrari 11-06-2010 01:21 AM

Man Richards always gets the shaft...

sa cyred 11-06-2010 01:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimiFerrari (Post 28768577)
Man Richards always gets the shaft...

You really have no one else to center them though... Giroux really isnt on the best line with Zherdev and Powe either. Once Briere is back, hopefully we re-see Carter and Giroux on the same line (waiting for the Briere sucks at center people to attack me), with Zherdev on that line. JVR also comes back renewed. I hoped Wellwood would get a few more games but I see the end coming soon.

CS 11-06-2010 01:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by StepanToGaborik (Post 28768498)
They said in the same commercial that Nodl was practicing with Richards and Wellwood, so take it for what it's worth.

Fair enough. Didn't know Nodl was healthy yet. I thought he could be up to a few more games.

SolidSnakeUS 11-06-2010 03:33 AM

Honestly, I think JVR needs to take a couple games off, like what Zherdev got. Re-think his situation and how to correct it.

Spongolium* 11-06-2010 05:08 AM

I just hope JVR looks at the situation as a positive. Yes you are being benched, but something clearly isn't clicking for you this year, look at the guys on the ice, and try and figure out exactly what is going wrong.

StandingCow 11-06-2010 05:30 AM

Won't happen until Nodl and Briere are back, but yea, I think a few days off would do him some good.

He needs to get back to the basics of what he was doing, even though he wasn't producing a lot, he was effective by flying all over and checking like a madman.

John Flyers Fan 11-06-2010 06:10 AM

I have no problem with the move at all. JVR needs a wake up call. His compete level needs to be raised. Most importantly, he needs to stop being a perimeter player. Every rush has him trying to beat a defenseman wide. He has to start driving the net harder, and use that size to his advantage.

He's never going to be a power forward, and that's fine, but he needs to go where goals are scored and that's the 15 feet in front of the net.

Flyerfan808 11-06-2010 06:30 AM

I thought that JVR had an excellent camp, excellent preseason, and excellent first couple of games. Lately though he has been invisible.

BillDineen 11-06-2010 07:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 (Post 28769667)
I thought that JVR had an excellent camp, excellent preseason, and excellent first couple of games. Lately though he has been invisible.

If I recall correctly, JVR had a 15 game scoreless drought in college and inconsistency issues last year. He might have serious confident issues.

He did start well, but the effort level has dropped along with any physical play.

Hockeypete49 11-06-2010 07:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BillDineen (Post 28769736)
If I recall correctly, JVR had a 15 game scoreless drought in college and inconsistency issues last year. He might have serious confident issues.

He did start well, but the effort level has dropped along with any physical play.

#1 I want JVR to do well. However that being said and I know I might get flamed for this. There are some rumblings in the Flyers organization about this kid. If the right deal came along he could be had. Sitting him out for a few games might be the best thing for him. He is in a funk right now and he needs to relax and play his game.

MsWoof 11-06-2010 07:43 AM

I think a view from above would do him some good as long as Nodl is okay to play.

04' hockey 11-06-2010 08:23 AM

who would have thought this ?

2nd pick OVERALL ??

maybe hire Gary Roberts like TB did to help Stamkos last year ?

the guy is SOFT :shakehead

:help:

DrinkFightFlyers 11-06-2010 08:54 AM

Not to harsh on JVR, but he has always struck me as a player who lacks effort and is a little hesitant to take the next step. From his decision to stay in college longer than the team wanted (which what I understand happened, if this is not what happened then I take back this part...), from the first few games I saw him play with the Phantoms where he looked just scared to be out on the ice, to just what seems like to me a lack of effort since he has been in the NHL. I'm not saying he isn't a hard worker and doesn't have talent, but it doesn't matter how hard you workout or hard you practice if you are holding back on the ice. The sky is the limit for this kid and I hope he proves me wrong here because I'd to see this healthy scratch business become a regularity around here. I was hoping this would be his breakout year.

nuclear reactor 11-06-2010 09:03 AM

I once heard there is an entire league where players who can't score in the NHL can play.

Shadow Flyer 11-06-2010 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Flyers Fan (Post 28769631)
He's never going to be a power forward, and that's fine, but he needs to go where goals are scored and that's the 15 feet in front of the net.

This.

JVR will eventually get it, just a matter of time. When he does get it, he'll be lights out.

John Flyers Fan 11-06-2010 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shadow Flyer (Post 28770301)
This.

JVR will eventually get it, just a matter of time. When he does get it, he'll be lights out.

He still has time, but I'm not sure he ever will "get it." He has the body and the skill set to become a dominant player, but to become a dominant player you need to have that mindset as well. He has yet to show that on either the college or pro level.

SeanL44 11-06-2010 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 04' hockey (Post 28770065)
2nd pick OVERALL ??

maybe hire Gary Roberts like TB did to help Stamkos last year ?

the guy is SOFT :shakehead

:help:

Soft? You're serious?

BadHammy* 11-06-2010 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SeanL44 (Post 28770566)
Soft? You're serious?

I'm not sure soft is the right word but he's not "tough" either. I think the point was that to fulfill his potential, he really needs to be tough and he's nowhere near there yet.

SeanL44 11-06-2010 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donGjohnson (Post 28770593)
I'm not sure soft is the right word but he's not "tough" either. I think the point was that to fulfill his potential, he really needs to be tough and he's nowhere near there yet.

I've seen him take 3 hits from behind that would knock people out of multiple games in the last 2 seasons and get right back up and skate the next shift. People haven't been able to move him from the front of the net when he finally gets there and he is effectively digging the puck out of corners to get the cycle going. Obviously there is a ton he needs to improve on but toughing up is not one of them.

JVR21 11-06-2010 10:20 AM

Agree to disagree. We drafted him to be a poward forward, and he certainly has a lot of toughening up to do.

RIPRichardsCarter 11-06-2010 10:28 AM

I can't believe some of the people here.