HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Winnipeg Jets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Fla & Atl Trade Proposal (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=83871)

mikefavata 06-14-2004 04:13 AM

Fla & Atl Trade Proposal

To Atanta:
Roberto Luongo
Stephen Weiss

To Florida:
Kari Lehtonen
Ilya Kovalchuk

Voynich 06-14-2004 05:12 AM

Wow. It took me a moment to wrap my head around this one.

I'd have to turn it down from an Atlanta standpoint, but it really is a tempting offer. I think it all boils down to how Weiss compares to Lehtonen as far as value goes, and I don't believe that Weiss is in the same league as Kari in that regard. As much of an admirer of Luongo as I am, I'd just have to turn it down. Ilya's value is probably on par with Luongo's, perhaps even a little lower some will say, but Weiss vs. Lehtonen just doesn't compute for me. I know Luongo is wanting more money too, and that is a headache I wouldn't want to deal with (please excuse my lack of familiarity with his contract situation if that has already been resolved).

Very tempting but I'd have to turn it down. Ilya is already an integral part of this team, possibly a burgeoning MVP at a very young age, and one of the two "faces of the franchise" that the marketing machine has made the casual fan in Atlanta familiar with(not an easy task). Kari has all the makings of a Luongo-like franchise goalie and his upside is sky high. Looking at Luongo you have an already dominant, game-changing netminder. Those rarely get moved. Weiss is a nice piece with quite a bit of unrealized potential, but he really doesn't meet any of the Thrasher's needs.

I think it can best be summed up as such:

Kovalchuk =(even slightly<) Luongo
Lehtonen>>>>>Weiss

Safir* 06-14-2004 05:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John Vanbiesbrouck
To Atanta:
Roberto Luongo
Stephen Weiss

To Florida:
Kari Lehtonen
Ilya Kovalchuk

According to your teams current captain (Jokinen), Lehtonen has at least the same potential as Luongo had, when he arrived in Florida. Call me a homer, but I rather have Lehtonen than Luongo, now.

Weiss is a smallish center and IMO he'll never end up of becoming a Sakic or Yzerman type of player. If you want Ilya think Bouwmeester, Horton, Steward....!!!

Oh BTW, no deal!!!

Amen evil king 06-14-2004 07:00 AM

No way.. Lehtonen could end up as good/better than Luongo (thank you Jokinen), while Weiss couldn't even hold Ilya's jock. Doesn't make sense for Atlanta at all if you ask me..

dunwoody_joe 06-14-2004 07:13 AM

No reply is warranted.

OK--NO! :lol

mikefavata 06-14-2004 08:26 AM

To Atanta:
Roberto Luongo
Nathan Horton
Lukas Krajicek

To Florida:
Kari Lehtonen
Ilya Kovalchuk

Dropkick Alex 06-14-2004 08:44 AM

Quote:

To Atanta:
Roberto Luongo
Nathan Horton
Lukas Krajicek

To Florida:
Kari Lehtonen
Ilya Kovalchuk

Are serious on this man?

mikefavata 06-14-2004 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bouwmeester4
Are serious on this man?

Well I figure with Krajicek we have enough D with scoring potential (Novak, Bouwmeester, etc.). And in Stewart we pretty much have the same player as Horton, and some say better. :dunno:

Lyons71 06-14-2004 02:21 PM

To get Kovalchuk you're going to have to overpay. Why would you trade away your goalie, who's supposed to be #2 in the league? Atlanta doesn't need this trade like I don't need hemroids. Kovalchuk alone (from DW) would demand 2 or 3 players. (depending on who they are)

Howard35 06-14-2004 03:23 PM

Quote:

To Atanta:
Roberto Luongo
Nathan Horton
Lukas Krajicek

To Florida:
Kari Lehtonen
Ilya Kovalchuk

might as well keep adding things on the florida side because i dont think atl is gonna budge inless you throw a name like horton into the mix now as well..

Kovalchuk will cost you a boatload of talent, lehtonen is like a notch below kovalchuk in terms of value IMHO... its not worth it from a panther POV

Dropkick Alex 06-14-2004 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lyons71
To get Kovalchuk you're going to have to overpay. Why would you trade away your goalie, who's supposed to be #2 in the league? Atlanta doesn't need this trade like I don't need hemroids. Kovalchuk alone (from DW) would demand 2 or 3 players. (depending on who they are)

luongo for kovalchuk should be able to land him.

Blatny Spears 06-14-2004 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bouwmeester4
luongo for kovalchuk should be able to land him.

In a vacuum perhaps, but in real life, that would leave us with Lehtonen and Luongo - gross overkill in the goalie department. We'd either have to send Lehtonen to you or work out a three-way deal where we unload Lehtonen to a third team.

The Luongo-Horton-Krajicek for Kovalchuk-Lehtonen deal is intriguing, but I think the Thrashers would have to pass. We've traded away a lot of important, if mediocre, players in the past in the name of building our future. Now that we have some legitimate franchise players, we have to hold on to them if for no other reason than to give the team identity and let the fans have their favorites to hold on to.

Edit: Followup -- here's an interesting proposal: Luongo-Bouwmeester for Kovalchuk-Lehtonen. You trade a proven stud goalie and a highly-promising, but still unproven, d-man for a proven stud scorer and a highly-promising, but still unproven, goalie.

dunwoody_joe 06-14-2004 06:32 PM

Why are we even having this discussion? :banghead:

cws 06-14-2004 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dunwoody_joe
Why are we even having this discussion? :banghead:

Someone got really, really bored.

Either that or he got smacked over the head with something rather large.

PantherboyHTR 06-14-2004 09:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blatny Spears
In a vacuum perhaps, but in real life, that would leave us with Lehtonen and Luongo - gross overkill in the goalie department. We'd either have to send Lehtonen to you or work out a three-way deal where we unload Lehtonen to a third team.

Which would inturn screw ATL over if you kept them both. Teams would realize that there is no way they could keep them both in the future (for contract reasons, and player playing-time demands) and would eventually be forced to trade one. This would greatly lessen the value of whoever the decide to trade.

This is what I figure is going on in Buffalo, and they are just too stubburn to realize this, thats why all 3 goalies are still in their system (because they are asking for too much).

Dropkick Alex 06-14-2004 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PantherboyHTR
Which would inturn screw ATL over if you kept them both. Teams would realize that there is no way they could keep them both in the future (for contract reasons, and player playing-time demands) and would eventually be forced to trade one. This would greatly lessen the value of whoever the decide to trade.

This is what I figure is going on in Buffalo, and they are just too stubburn to realize this, thats why all 3 goalies are still in their system (because they are asking for too much).

I live in Buffalo as you may know and this statement above is like Godly. :bow: :handclap:

Rattrick 06-14-2004 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Voynich
Wow. It took me a moment to wrap my head around this one.

I'd have to turn it down from an Atlanta standpoint, but it really is a tempting offer. I think it all boils down to how Weiss compares to Lehtonen as far as value goes, and I don't believe that Weiss is in the same league as Kari in that regard. As much of an admirer of Luongo as I am, I'd just have to turn it down. Ilya's value is probably on par with Luongo's, perhaps even a little lower some will say, but Weiss vs. Lehtonen just doesn't compute for me. I know Luongo is wanting more money too, and that is a headache I wouldn't want to deal with (please excuse my lack of familiarity with his contract situation if that has already been resolved).

Very tempting but I'd have to turn it down. Ilya is already an integral part of this team, possibly a burgeoning MVP at a very young age, and one of the two "faces of the franchise" that the marketing machine has made the casual fan in Atlanta familiar with(not an easy task). Kari has all the makings of a Luongo-like franchise goalie and his upside is sky high. Looking at Luongo you have an already dominant, game-changing netminder. Those rarely get moved. Weiss is a nice piece with quite a bit of unrealized potential, but he really doesn't meet any of the Thrasher's needs.

I think it can best be summed up as such:

Kovalchuk =(even slightly<) Luongo
Lehtonen>>>>>Weiss

That's pretty much how I see it:

Kovalchuk < Luongo
Lehtonen >> Weiss

IMO, Luongo has more trade value than any player in the league but this trade just doesn't work out for either side.

Thrashers 06-15-2004 12:50 AM

:badidea:

:thrashers =:win:

:panthers =:loony:

I can't describe it any better than that.

mikefavata 06-15-2004 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Thrashers
:badidea:

:thrashers =:win:

:panthers =:loony:

I can't describe it any better than that.

Hah!

Panthers > Thrashers.

Well except for our insane owner...

Blatny Spears 06-15-2004 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PantherboyHTR

Not necessarily. It's true that Atlanta loses some leverage in that teams would know there's no point in having two terrific goalies and that Atlanta would have to deal one, but that loss of leverage is more than offset by the number of bidders that would be out there seeking the services of either Luongo or Lehtonen.

Buffalo's problem isn't that they're dealing from a position of weakness, it's just that the luster has worn off all three of their 'stud' young goalies. They were all overhyped and the Sabres have waited far too long to deal one or two of them.