HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   OT: Is NYC more Rangers or Knicks? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=838824)

Marc Staal 11-06-2010 06:36 PM

Is NYC more Rangers or Knicks?

Who do you think is more talk of the town? I wish when I turned on WFAN I would hear them talking some NYR hockey but never going to happen lol. Like when you think of MSG, do you think Knicks or Rangers first?

We all know it goes Yankees,Mets, Giants,Jets then Rangers/Knicks.

Just a random question lol.

Nyrfan25 11-06-2010 06:39 PM

Really ?
There is no comparison, the Rangers are so far below every other NY sports team it is not even comparable.

nyrmetros 11-06-2010 06:39 PM

When I think of MSG, I think of Hockey and boxing.
When PEOPLE think of MSG, they think of basketball, boxing, concerts, circus, expensive beer, and then hockey.

BroadwayBlues 11-06-2010 06:59 PM

Neither one of these two teams are talked about and it annoys me.

I mean here are the Knicks finally playing great basketball and they're barely mention. All of FIVE minutes. I understand yesterday was "Football Friday" on all the talk shows but when you have 3 or 5 hours to fill there's no need to talk about the same thing for that long. :shakehead Sorry don't want to hear about Derek Jeter's contract, who the next Mets manager is, Johnny Bench etc... all week.

I love baseball and football but come on. There are other sports in the town...

17futurecap 11-06-2010 07:18 PM

Huge fan of both the Knicks and Rangers, and I would say the majority of people don't care at all about either. I mean all sports talk is Football and Hotstove baseball. I would go Knicks however because more people know the stars of the NBA then the NHL, and when someone like Kobe or Lebron comes into MSG it is a big night by the media, and I don't really get the sense it is the same when a Crosby or Ovechkin comes in to MSG.

n8 11-06-2010 07:29 PM

NYC's interest in the Rangers and Knicks have both wanned since 1994 when they were competing for titles. Knicks probably get the edge simply because there are like 1000x more basketball courts than ice rinks in NYC so people can relate to basketball more. You got more people saying stuff like "hey, you want to go the the Knicks game? Kobe Bryant and Lakers are in town." than "you want to go to the Rangers game? Ovechkin is in town." Ovec-who?

This is NOT how it usually goes down. :D

http://www.atom.com/funny_videos/mascots_guys_talking/

White Plains Batman 11-06-2010 07:44 PM

More recently it's been the Rangers because they've been competitive and generally pretty good since the lockout. They even got a few back covers like when they beat the Thrashers in Game 1 of their playoff series when Marcel Hossa had his Born Invinsible (http://www.amazon.com/Born-Invincibl.../dp/B00009IAX9) pose. When it has been the Knicks it was for all the wrong reasons.

It doesn't compare to the early 90s though; pretty much after Daryl left the Mets, Parcells left the Giants, and Steinbrenner got kicked out of baseball for a few years, it was ALL about the MSG teams.

It's a different era now but the way to generate interest is pretty easy; Win Championships.

BroadwayBlues 11-06-2010 07:49 PM

I will say this, more attention is payed to both sports once the playoffs start. A lot of fans who aren't necessarily NBA and NHL fans, think the seasons are way too long. You get the 'these early games aren't all that important'. :rolleyes: No one ever complains how long the baseball season is. Thankfully they're thinking about cutting the season down.

ChipAyten 11-06-2010 07:49 PM

It angers me seeing locals wearing Celtics, Bulls or Heat jerseys in this city, have they no self respect? Anywho, as of now it's pretty even, but when the Knicks eventually make the playoffs it will be a Knick town.

BroadwayBlues 11-06-2010 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChipAyten (Post 28779072)
It angers me seeing locals wearing Celtics, Bulls or Heat jerseys in this city, have they no self respect? Anywho, as of now it's pretty even, but when the Knicks eventually make the playoffs it will be a Knick town.

Bandwagon fans. :shakehead

Throw the Cowgirls and Steelers in there too.:help:

White Plains Batman 11-06-2010 07:53 PM

Quote:

I know, it's pretty crazy, but it's a fashion thing too and not just in hip hop culture. Plenty of guys wearing Lebron, Rondo, Garnett, throwback Jordans, etc.

morffin 11-06-2010 07:55 PM

I was talking to one of the ushers at the garden a few games ago and he told me knicks games are infested with tourist ...its a big attraction for euro tourist.

clmetsfan 11-06-2010 07:58 PM

Quote:

a) How do you know they're locals?

b) How do you know what their formative sports influences were? Is there something so horrible about someone who is born here but whose parents are from Boston or Chicago and raise them to be fans of those teams?

Kane One 11-06-2010 08:11 PM

Knicks. No question.

ChipAyten 11-06-2010 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by clmetsfan (Post 28779350)
a) How do you know they're locals?

b) How do you know what their formative sports influences were? Is there something so horrible about someone who is born here but whose parents are from Boston or Chicago and raise them to be fans of those teams?

a) Nobody getting on the (L) train in East New York is a tourist.

b) That may be the case for some of them, but in the city of Ewing and Frazier seeing such a disproportionate amount of out of town Jerseys is not an effect of that. I see one Knick jersey for every other 5 Celtic, Bull, Magic etc. jersey.

And yes there is something wrong with that, it's not about sports it's a testament to peoples attitudes. Moving on to the next best thing, instant gratification, no loyalty etc.

Marc Staal 11-06-2010 08:14 PM

I would say there is around a 99.9% of an NBA lockout after this season so you think NHL can get more talk if so?

Im a huge Knicks fan too but I just don't undertsnad how people get so hyped for the NBA. Unless your Lakers, Celtics, Magic, or Heat fan, your rooting for a team that is going no where or just bounced out the 1st round of playoffs.

Groot 11-06-2010 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues (Post 28779148)
Bandwagon fans. :shakehead

Throw the Cowgirls and Steelers in there too.:help:

Not anymore, lol.

ogie 11-06-2010 08:49 PM

This is a Knick town , and further more a basketball town in general. Can't speak for the current climate but when i was in school basketball was the be-all-end-all in this city.

BroadwayBlues 11-06-2010 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ryan18nyr (Post 28779883)
I would say there is around a 99.9% of an NBA lockout after this season so you think NHL can get more talk if so?

Im a huge Knicks fan too but I just don't undertsnad how people get so hyped for the NBA. Unless your Lakers, Celtics, Magic, or Heat fan, your rooting for a team that is going no where or just bounced out the 1st round of playoffs.

That's true. That's what sucks about the NBA imo. Something is seriously wrong when you can predict in October who's going to be in the finals.
Despite the cap there is zero parity. You got the Celtics and the Lakers winning half the leagues championships. :facepalm:
The sport is all about the star player. Forget having a good all around team game and cohesion.
There will be no San Francisco Giants of the NBA winning it all. :shakehead

Marc Staal 11-06-2010 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BroadwayBlues (Post 28781183)
That's true. That's what sucks about the NBA imo. Something is seriously wrong when you can predict in October who's going to be in the finals.
Despite the cap there is zero parity. You got the Celtics and the Lakers winning half the leagues championships. :facepalm:
The sport is all about the star player. Forget having a good all around team game and cohesion.
There will be no San Francisco Giants of the NBA winning it all. :shakehead

Exactly.

The only upset I can think of was GS beating Dallas that one year. This is why I just cant get so hyped up about the Knicks as a fan right now even though they are doing decent right now. I mean it would be awesome to get back in the playoffs but cmon, does anyone really think where a title contender without Melo and/or CP3?

NyRangers88 11-06-2010 09:06 PM

I dont care what anyone says, MSG is hockey to me. And plenty of people in NYC are concerned with the Rangers, when I walk around town after the game..people always ask me "Did they win?", or "Great game". I am so sick of people saying the Rangers are irrelevant in the NYC because its flat out NOT TRUE.

Brooklyn Ranger 11-06-2010 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by morffin (Post 28779251)
I was talking to one of the ushers at the garden a few games ago and he told me knicks games are infested with tourist ...its a big attraction for euro tourist.

Guess the guy doesn't work hockey games--lots of Europeans there too.

Marc Staal 11-06-2010 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NYRangers88 (Post 28781787)
I dont care what anyone says, MSG is hockey to me. And plenty of people in NYC are concerned with the Rangers, when I walk around town after the game..people always ask me "Did they win?", or "Great game". I am so sick of people saying the Rangers are irrelevant in the NYC because its flat out NOT TRUE.

Agreed 100%.

Even though I love the Knicks/NBA (nowhere near as much as the Rangers/NHL), im knid of hoping for a lockout just so maybe the NHL can get more publicity and people realize how great of a sport hockey is.

morffin 11-06-2010 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brooklyn Ranger (Post 28783438)
Guess the guy doesn't work hockey games--lots of Europeans there too.

yeah thats what got the conversation going..but he told me it wasnt even close....many more tourist at knicks games.

clmetsfan 11-06-2010 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChipAyten (Post 28779825)
a) Nobody getting on the (L) train in East New York is a tourist.

Perhaps not tourists, but transplanted (rather than native) New Yorkers.

Quote:

b) That may be the case for some of them, but in the city of Ewing and Frazier seeing such a disproportionate amount of out of town Jerseys is not an effect of that. I see one Knick jersey for every other 5 Celtic, Bull, Magic etc. jersey.
Transplants + Bandwagoners + a dreadful local team will get you that.

Quote:

And yes there is something wrong with that, it's not about sports it's a testament to peoples attitudes. Moving on to the next best thing, instant gratification, no loyalty etc.
Sorry, but you're way off base if you think there's something wrong with a kid growing up in NY and rooting for the Celtics because his dad is a big Celtics fan.