HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   How many points will O'reilly get? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=839349)

I Will Son 11-08-2010 01:48 AM

How many points will O'reilly get?

So far he is our highest scorer with 2 goals and 9 assists for 11 points after 13 games. What do you see him ending the year with?

Paranoid Android 11-08-2010 02:47 AM

I think he'll hit 60

Legionnaire11 11-08-2010 07:21 AM

He will go through a slump at some point and probably finish with right at 50. I love his production so far though, i've been talking about this kid for 5 years now since we drafted him and it's great to finally see him proving it at the highest level, I just wish the team were putting up some W's to go along with it.

triggrman 11-08-2010 08:28 AM

Wait didn't a bunch on here claim he should even make the team this year???

Legionnaire11 11-08-2010 08:56 AM

he definitely made the center position interesting when Lombardi comes back.

Lombardi
O'Reilly
Legwand
Goc
Wilson
Smithson
Spaling

Wilson, Smithson, Spaling and Legwand are all candidates to play on the wing. But I really do believe the Preds should condense their roster, package a few of the extra forwards and a few of the defensemen in trades to bring in a couple of solid veterans one forward winger and one defenseman.

deanwormer 11-08-2010 09:12 AM

Well, assuming we're gonna' leave that line together I'd put him in for 50-55. Trotz starts juggling everyone around and who knows - he could turn him into a 40 pt guy in no time.

predfan24 11-08-2010 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggrman (Post 28811990)
Wait didn't a bunch on here claim he should even make the team this year???

He's proving me wrong so far no doubt. But after only 13 games I'm like Dennis Green. If ya'll want to crown his ass! Then crown his ass! But I still think he is who I thought he was.:sarcasm:

Of course time will tell. I want to see him continue to do well and make me eat crow all season long.

Roman Yoshi 11-08-2010 11:01 AM

I think the bigger question is how many points is Wilson going to get with Legwand and Ward :shakehead
:help:

OpenWheel 11-08-2010 11:07 AM

A couple games ago I was thinking how O'Reilly really wasn't doing much after a good start. I thought he and Sully were in a slump. But they exploded last night. I still figure only around 50 points, but awesome if he can do much better. I voted 50-60 points.

Now just demote Ward and move Dumont up and we could be ok.

I thought Wilson was better as a center then shriveling up in that Legwand - Ward scoring desert. Those two are like death valley to scoring. Plus Wilson can't be any worse a faceoff man already than Legwand, who has never improved. I'd like to see Wilson, Dumont and Kostitsyn. Let Legwand - Ward - Smithson/Tootoo do the defense thing instead of dragging every other offensive player down with them. Leave Sully, O'Reilly and Hornqvist together now, although a few games ago I wanted Hornqvist moved to see if he could get going more. But not now that the line had a great game.

Roman Yoshi 11-08-2010 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OpenWheel (Post 28813692)
A couple games ago I was thinking how O'Reilly really wasn't doing much after a good start. I thouight he and Sully were in a slump. But hey exploded last night.

Now just demote Ward and move Dumont up and we could be ok.

I thought Wilson was better as a center then shriveling up in in that Legwand - Ward scoring desert. I'd like to see Wilson, Dumont and SK. Let Legwand - Ward - Smithson do the defense thing instead of dragging every other offensive player down with them. Leave Sully, O'Reilly and Hornqvist together now, although a few games ago I wanted to if Hornqvist moved to see if he could get going more. But not now that the line had a great game.

Seriously, the hate for JP is freaking stupid. Smithson and Belak? Are you kidding me?

If I am dumont I would be demanding a trade or be benched every game. He needs to be playing with legwand and wilson.

Cal and Sully have something special, keep them together and cal will get 45 points this year.

OpenWheel 11-08-2010 11:20 AM

Yeah, either replace Ward with Dumont or keep Leggy and Ward together (Although I feel slightly sorry for Leggy not getting a scoring line another year, but maybe that's all he's ever earned.) and try to create a real second line out of three other guys.

Goc and SK may work together as well. Of course Trotz will play around with mostly stiffs on the other wing I'm sure. Except he'll call it "balance".

Seth Lake 11-08-2010 11:22 AM

New poll...

How many goals will Cal get this season? Over/Under is 7.

I've seriously seen him had teammates and the coaches as recent as last season tell him that they know he loves to pass, but when looking at an open net...pass it straight into the net instead of looking to pass it elsewhere. This year he's been working hard on shooting the puck and I think it's starting to show even in terms of his assists. Hornqvist needs shots at the net to score and Sully can't be the only shooter on the line, so I think Cal is learning that he must shoot more too and he'll rack up the A's.

Must've been a good student in school. He loves getting A's and seems adverse at times to rack up the G's on his scorecard...:naughty:

token grinder 11-08-2010 11:30 AM

I was one of those who thought he would be cut or traded. I am happy to eat crow and will continue to as long as he can keep this up

triggrman 11-08-2010 11:59 AM

I don't know what's worse the hate for Dumont of the love of Ward...

Ward is horrible with the puck and can't skate 5 feet without turning it over...

Legionnaire11 11-08-2010 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggrman (Post 28814510)

Ward is horrible with the puck and can't skate 5 feet without turning it over...

Agree, Ward was a great surprise two years ago. I think he is one of our expendable forwards who still has some sort of trade value. If Trotz isn't going to use Dumont on a scoring line, I wouldn't mind seeing him and Ward packaged for for a good second line winger, one who could play on a line with perhaps Kostitsyn and Lombardi or Wilson and Lombardi. Call up Klasen for 3rd line duty with Erat and let Legwand and Goc fight it out to center that line.

dulzhok 11-08-2010 01:34 PM

Let's hope he keeps it up. He's getting prime ice time.

There was another "twenner" that played pretty well for a year when he was given a good chance. And now, he's back in tweener land. Unfortunately we gave him a 3m contract. [Joel Ward]

So, hopefully we have a legit top 2 center, and not a tweener on a semi-hot streak.

Legionnaire11 11-08-2010 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dulzhok (Post 28815974)
Let's hope he keeps it up. He's getting prime ice time.

There was another "twenner" that played pretty well for a year when he was given a good chance. And now, he's back in tweener land. Unfortunately we gave him a 3m contract. [Joel Ward]

So, hopefully we have a legit top 2 center, and not a tweener on a semi-hot streak.

I don't think O'Reilly and Ward is a fair comparison. Ward was an undrafted two-way grinding winger type who was given up on by the Wild. Where O'Reilly was drafted as a skilled center who needed to add size. But in principle I agree with what you're saying, lets hope that this isn't just an early season hot streak, and he can physically hold up over the entire season (which has never been a problem for him before)

Looking at Cal O'Reilly's history, at every level he had a feeling out season and then really stepped up production every season after that.

jstreet 11-08-2010 04:16 PM

I thought Cal was gonna be Peverly part 2. Im happy that I was wrong.

lightning_legwand* 11-08-2010 06:01 PM

I knew that if we dealt him, he would Peverley us!! Sooo happy Trotzy gave him a shot full time. Way to go Cal!

But lets not over hype this, I do not want to jinx him at all, just let him play his game.

http://tsn.ca/nhl/statistics/?show=s...&prefilter=0-0

It is kind of sad that other than O'Reilly, we barely have anyone getting a point every other game. Lowest offense in league. We gotta pick up our socks!!

WartracePred 11-09-2010 12:44 AM

A year or two ago, I remember reading an article about Cal's progression in each league he has played. If you look at his stats, it takes him three years, playing a full schedule at each level of competition to become a point per game player. He did it in juniors and in MIL. This is his third year with Nashville, though he hasn't had a full year of NHL experience. I won't predict 80 points for Cal this year. And though I am pleasantly surprised by his production, I can't say this came out of the blue. Whoever wrote that article/blog, they saw something in Cal that most of us did not.

If he stays healthy, and if he stays on the same line with Sully, I predict 50+ points this year

Everlong 11-11-2010 02:29 PM

I've been watching this kid since he was playing with the windsor spitfires of the ohl. I knew he was something special but didn't know if he could handle the day-to-day grind of the nhl. I know most of his success is due to playing with guys like sulli and horny but it's just good to see him get some confidence early so he can continue to grow as a player. Solid number two guy. I said 40-50pts this year. Apprx 8g, 40a.

kivaerijo 11-14-2010 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by triggrman (Post 28814510)

its always funny to me that you always seem to dislike the effort guys on the team. i may agree that ward, shouldnt be on PP, and maybe legwand needs more of an offensive line. but there arent many players on this team that are better than ward fighting for the puck on the boards..he usually comes out with it. i still think he is an addition to this team, and we would miss him if he was gone. Should he be more like Erat, and circle around with the puck for ten minutes, only to turn it over then? and i am not trying to start a fight, just hate to see hate for one of our hardest working players imo..and i also think dumont gets a bad rap as well. Think he has played with much more desire this year..good to see. seems, once arnott left and we have a captain that will stick up for players, the team has responded