HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Exercise For Skating (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=839628)

pistolpete31 11-08-2010 10:21 PM

Exercise For Skating

Wondering if you guys had a good exercise that works the inner thighs or any other muscle involved in skating.

Made Dan 11-08-2010 10:25 PM

I read somewhere that squatting helps with explosive speed. I've been squatting almost regularly in the gym for the past two months or so and it seems to be improving my skating.

The Chel 11-09-2010 12:35 AM

I've read that riding a stationary or pedal bike works the same muscles as if you were skating

Jarick 11-09-2010 08:40 AM

Squats for strength, jump squats or lunges for the explosiveness, and core work like the plank or v-ups.

ponder 11-09-2010 02:39 PM

On top of what has already been mentioned I'd like to add the abductor/adductor machine, the one where you push your legs apart simulates the skating motion pretty well.

But mostly if you wanna go faster you'll see the greatest returns through working on your technique, and on your endurance (hockey-specific cardio such as tonnes and tonnes of suicides). So often people COULD skate faster, but lack the energy to do so.

Badger36 11-09-2010 04:33 PM

Squats and Romanian dead lifts are what did it for me. I used to ride my bike for 45 minutes a day and still had problems with my legs getting tired rathar quickly.
Since I started doing more squats/RDLs Ive noticed that I can skate a lot longer and a lot harder without my legs getting tired.

startainfection* 11-09-2010 05:27 PM

last month i started swimming every other day and i'm alot better skater now then i was before, and thats for speed, agility and balance

Lonny Bohonos 11-11-2010 05:41 AM

Peter Twist (former training with the canucks) has a hockey specific exercise/conditioning book.

BadHammy* 11-11-2010 06:46 AM

1 word, plyometrics. Something I came up with that I really like is to work shooting off ice but don't use your upper body very much. Just focus on a pure, heavy weight transfer and violently snapping your hips.

Skraut 11-11-2010 07:29 AM

15 years ago the rec center in the city I lived in at the time had a stationary skating machine, which simulated the stride. I always thought it was weird because when I lived in that city, the nearest rink was 50 miles away. I was the only one I ever saw use it, and I didn't know how to ice skate at the time (it was just something cool to work different muscles for me). It sort of looked like the pedals for those skiing arcade games that were popular about that time, and you could adjust the resistance as you skated.

Haven't seen a machine like it since.

Badger36 11-11-2010 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skraut (Post 28870489)
15 years ago the rec center in the city I lived in at the time had a stationary skating machine, which simulated the stride. I always thought it was weird because when I lived in that city, the nearest rink was 50 miles away. I was the only one I ever saw use it, and I didn't know how to ice skate at the time (it was just something cool to work different muscles for me). It sort of looked like the pedals for those skiing arcade games that were popular about that time, and you could adjust the resistance as you skated.

Haven't seen a machine like it since.

Sounds like the same concept as a slide board (minus the ability to adjust the resistance).