HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Synthetic Ice (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=840383)

dashtary* 11-10-2010 09:37 PM

Synthetic Ice
 
Sorry if this is in the wrong section, but has anyone ever played on synthetic ice and how is it? I am thinking of getting it for my backyard.

Crossovert* 11-10-2010 09:41 PM

ive skated and trained on it many times and I like it

metalan2 11-10-2010 09:42 PM

It's awesome. It's pretty much just like real ice wit hthe obvious difference.

O23L 11-10-2010 09:49 PM

Never tried it... Always wanted too. I've heard its like skating on a cutting board, and I've also heard it's like real.

And FYI, "The Rink" is the forum I think you would get the best response from.

Friggin Rob 11-10-2010 09:50 PM

the worst part about it is how all the plastic flakes get all over you and linger in your gear bag for months

wolfgaze 11-10-2010 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes (Post 28866173)
Never tried it... Always wanted too. I've heard its like skating on a cutting board, and I've also heard it's like real.

I've skated on plenty of cutting boards... And let me tell you, it's no synthetic ice!

tsnTpoint 11-10-2010 10:01 PM

IMO the harder the ice the better/faster the ice. So when you say cutting board do you mean fast or slow because little glide??

O23L 11-10-2010 10:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tsnTpoint (Post 28866500)
IMO the harder the ice the better/faster the ice. So when you say cutting board do you mean fast or slow because little glide??

I don't know. Like I said, a friend told me "It's like skating on a cutting board".

I don't know if thats good or bad, im asuming he ment it bad.

wolfgaze 11-10-2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PhXcoyotes (Post 28866810)
I don't know. Like I said, a friend told me "It's like skating on a cutting board".

I don't know if thats good or bad, im asuming he ment it bad.

It's hilarious because who the hell is supposed to know what skating on a cutting board is like? That's like telling somebody what you just ate "Tasted like diamonds"

O23L 11-10-2010 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfgaze (Post 28867041)
It's hilarious because who the hell is supposed to know what skating on a cutting board is like? That's like telling somebody what you just ate "Tasted like diamonds"

When someone says "It taist like ****" I hope they don't realy know what **** taist like.

Mayor Bee 11-10-2010 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wolfgaze (Post 28866250)
I've skated on plenty of cutting boards... And let me tell you, it's no synthetic ice!

Are you an expert?;)

PlayMakers 11-10-2010 10:29 PM

My 7 year old son's team practices at a rink with a side, mini-rink of synthetic ice that they do some specialized training on. It looks like there is less glide in his stride when he's on the fake stuff (i.e. a bit more resistance), but again, we're talking about a little kid who isn't very powerful.

I'm interested in how it wears. I'd think that like ice, your skates would dig grooves into it, and the areas that get skated on over and over, would get worn down and bumpy. Any truth to that idea? (It's certainly not happening at the my son's practice rink.)

Crossovert* 11-10-2010 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Friggin Rob (Post 28866194)
the worst part about it is how all the plastic flakes get all over you and linger in your gear bag for months

gotta vacuum it off

DanZ 11-10-2010 10:39 PM

When you go to do a hockey stop, does it scrape up the synthetic ice and ruin it eventually? and how expensive is it?

Ridick 11-10-2010 10:50 PM

I did like 10 years ago when is till played hockey. It's a lot harder to push off there isn't much glide compared to ice. It's pretty much just an intense workout and yous weat your balls off, it more of a fitness training than anything

James Franco 11-10-2010 11:37 PM

I saw it in a magazine and I was thinking what the hell is this stuff? Do you have to resurface it often, you think the skates would shred it like pvc shavings

Skraut 11-11-2010 06:16 AM

I've actually been thinking about picking up a few tiles of it. I have a backyard shooting pad which even has a little wooden riser to simulate the height of my skates. But I'm still so much better at shooting in my shoes on it, than I am on my skates, because I'm still relatively new and just don't have the best balance while doing the weight transfer on the shot. Was thinking just a small area next to the shooting pad would let me get better at that portion of my game.

adaminnj 11-11-2010 07:22 AM

newer synth ice is good but if you go to a training facility that has had the pad down and used for a year or two by teams for practice it gets rutted and flakey and I think it sucks to skate on but it will make you a better skater because of the extra effort you have to put into skating and not catching an edge in a rut.

I'm going to a synth pad today to work with my son (a goalie) and he hates the stuff.

pelts35.com 11-11-2010 08:06 AM

My 5 year old son is just starting to skate this year. He has no problem standing and now gets up on his own, but he is very reluctant to pick up his feet. Do those who have experience with the synthetic ice think that getting a few tiles for the basement would be a good idea?


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:15 AM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2016, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.