HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   White Hockey Pants (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=841149)

beersy32 11-12-2010 05:51 PM

White Hockey Pants

Is it possible to pull them off? Got a 93' Ducks Kariya jersey. Gonna customize warrior pants.

Toews is a tank 11-12-2010 06:38 PM

As with any other flashy piece of equipment that's gonna make you look like an asshat, your ability to pull it off depends on how good you are.

Trottier 11-12-2010 07:15 PM

1 Attachment(s)
In the 1974-75 season, the original Washington Capitals home uniforms featured a red, white and blue jersey and white hockey pants. It was the only time in NHL history that players wore white pants as part of a home uniform.

Painful....

cptjeff 11-12-2010 07:40 PM

^Well, not quite. White pants were the default in the early years of the league, before they went to tan canvas or leather. The caps are the only ones since the early 20's though.

WhipNash27 11-12-2010 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Toews is a tank (Post 28905840)
As with any other flashy piece of equipment that's gonna make you look like an asshat, your ability to pull it off depends on how good you are.

Pretty much summarizes it. Don't try to look "different" unless you're better than everyone else or you have thick enough skin to take all of the **** talking.

Trottier 11-12-2010 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cptjeff (Post 28907366)
^Well, not quite. White pants were the default in the early years of the league, before they went to tan canvas or leather. The caps are the only ones since the early 20's though.

Guess you need to set this blogger straight....

http://www.onfrozenblog.com/2006/10/...ars-white.html

Regardless, IMO, wearing white pants to the rink are in the same category as dark visors, mismatched socks and wearing #99. To each his own, however.

cptjeff 11-12-2010 08:47 PM

^eh, it's an ancient post. Not worth bothering. But NHL Uniforms has the '29 blackhawks as the last to wear white pants.

Unfortunately, photos from those years are pretty much impossible to find. But I have a few of non-NHL teams (from one of the hockey chronicles books, so not the greatest, but they get the point across). Both seem to be a mix of white and leather.

Kenora Thistles:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ldHockey48.jpg

Seattle Metropolitans:
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...ldHockey50.jpg

Edit: Hey, Vancouver Millionaires:
http://assets.sbnation.com/assets/10...3vancouver.jpg

Oh, and here's what that seattle jersey looked like in color:
http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e1...ey/seattle.jpg

beersy32 11-12-2010 09:06 PM

no one cares about that old school garbage. i think anyone can pull off white pants if they have the balz and can take the trash talking

The Tikkanen 11-13-2010 01:16 AM

It will be impossible to keep them clean. Never seen anybody wear white pants, would prefer them over an "epic" Paul Kariya jersey. I just hope when this guy hits the ice Gary Suter isn't around.

dannythekid 11-13-2010 07:57 AM

They would be baller until they start getting sweaty and marked up. Just like white skates.

But I also would categorize them in with the rec players who come in with the Ovi look with the tinted visor and wearing number 99, 66, 68 etc...

I Am Beat You 11-13-2010 10:43 AM

Nothing like reading about the colorful history of white hockey pants!

It doesn't matter though, if you want to wear them you should go for it. I'm sure there will be others in your league rocking the white as well.

jsykes 11-13-2010 04:25 PM

A team that plays in my beer league uses all white uniforms from head to toe. Looks totally lame, but they're different.

Anyway, they all got white shells for their pants. If you dont want to pay full on for pants, you should be able to find a white shell like they did.

jablueblue 11-14-2010 11:06 AM

If I saw anyone wearing white pants the first thing I'd do if find myself a shapie and make them unwearable. Common man if a plug look is what you're going for then by all means go for it, but it isn't gonna be pretty

The Tikkanen 11-14-2010 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jablueblue (Post 28937416)
If I saw anyone wearing white pants the first thing I'd do if find myself a shapie and make them unwearable. Common man if a plug look is what you're going for then by all means go for it, but it isn't gonna be pretty

I'd break my own nose and bleed all over them.

Blues88 11-14-2010 08:29 PM

White pants are probably one of the most terrible concepts I've heard outside of a roller rink.

Please, resist the urge to be that guy.

keslehr* 11-14-2010 09:27 PM

If you wanna get beaked, sure. May as well buy a red helmet, rock mismatched socks and tint your visor too.

beersy32 11-14-2010 10:02 PM

have a red helmet that goes with my canada jersey.

keslehr* 11-14-2010 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by beersy32 (Post 28951256)
have a red helmet that goes with my canada jersey.

The point is, unless you're really good, wearing a different coloured helmet/pants/pant covers etc. will only get you contempt. Are you in beer league or competitive (20 and under) hockey?

Blues88 11-14-2010 10:49 PM

Why anyone would put this much time and thought into how they look playing hockey is beyond me.

You dont want to be wearing cooperalls with a gretzky bucket and leather gloves but jesus....mismatched stuff, white pants, nifty colored tape?

Heres an idea.

Where your Kariya jersey with regular ****. Its not like you see mighty ducks sweaters that often at all. If you're looking for attention, (which, despite whatever excuse you tell yourself, that is what its about) you'll get alot of it from that.

Maybe you can tell them a story from back in the day. The one about how he made a cameo in a disney movie that his first team was eventually named after.

keslehr* 11-14-2010 11:16 PM

It's not an effort. Just don't rock flashy **** unless you play rep.

canuck44 11-15-2010 01:11 AM

What's wrong with mismatched socks? I've bought socks once in my life, now I'm rocking the 3 pairs I got from my last team (away, home, practice). I try to use the practice ones most of the time since it's the only solid color, but sometimes I forget one or I just put another one on.

jsykes 11-15-2010 11:42 AM

I dont understand the hate in this thread, let the guy wear what he wants, who cares what it is. At least around here, hockey is about having fun and just being out there, we have guys that can hardly skate that come out in the best stuff, the tinted visor, yellow laces, whatever, and we take them in and help them improve and make sure they have a good time and want to keep playing. There might be the fun nod to the guy about thinking he's Ovi, but its done with a smile on the face and a wink to make sure he knows we're just playing and go for it. We have guys that wear Pens jerseys with 87 on them, guys with 99 and their name on the back, who cares, we're just glad to have people playing.

Ease up here, who cares if he wants white pants, let him go for it if he's having fun with it, thats what its about.

Half the time I'm convinced that all the guys on the internet calling others "benders" and "dusters" and saying they'd "destroy you" are the ones that are really dealing with the Napoleon complex and are the true benders.

Either that or I hope you never show up at our rink acting that way or you'd be asked (or "encouraged") to leave pretty quick.

beersy32 11-15-2010 12:51 PM

appreciate the responses. I'm gettin black/turquoise pants

Jarick 11-15-2010 01:25 PM

You couldn't pay me to wear white pants.

PDX Coyotes 11-15-2010 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Blues88 (Post 28949644)
White pants are probably one of the most terrible concepts I've heard outside of a roller rink.

Please, resist the urge to be that guy.

Couldn't agree more!

Quote:

Originally Posted by beersy32 (Post 28958818)
appreciate the responses. I'm gettin black/turquoise pants

A wise choice.