HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   The Official Apology to Cal O'Reilly Thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=841696)

token grinder 11-14-2010 11:26 AM

The Official Apology to Cal O'Reilly Thread

I know the season is still in its infancy, but O'Reilly has finally won me over. I was on the cut him, trade him, perma scratch him bandwagon. I will angry when I saw he would be with sully and hornquist. I figured it was only a matter of time before he went into suck mode.

Here is to you Cal O'Reilly. My crow needs some BBQ sauce, but it is tasty.

BigFatCat999 11-14-2010 11:29 AM

*BFC is answering this in American sign language simply because his mouth is so full of crow that black feathers are busting out of his mouth and nose*

(Sorry Cal)

lightning_legwand* 11-14-2010 12:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by token grinder (Post 28937616)
I know the season is still in its infancy, but O'Reilly has finally won me over. I was on the cut him, trade him, perma scratch him bandwagon. I will angry when I saw he would be with sully and hornquist. I figured it was only a matter of time before he went into suck mode.

Here is to you Cal O'Reilly. My crow needs some BBQ sauce, but it is tasty.

I cant wait for your Franson thread like this one!!

Top 6 Spaling 11-14-2010 12:55 PM

Dear ORLY,
Sorry for the constant bashing over the past two years. I was never a believer in you, but, needless to say, you proved me wrong. Please keep scoring.

deanwormer 11-14-2010 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lightning_legwand (Post 28938568)
I cant wait for your Franson thread like this one!!

Oops, off topic - never mind

jcupp 11-14-2010 05:19 PM

I don't think I have posted anything that bad against him, but I did feel the same way as most people on this thread. Sorry Mr. O'Reilly.

Paranoid Android 11-14-2010 06:54 PM

I already made my apology in one of the GDTs, so :p:

LOL, really though, Cal is awesome. He went from my doghouse to my favorite player. I love him now. I figured his chemistry with Sully from last season was a bit of a fluke and he'd revert back to his beginning of the season form. So glad I was wrong.

The fact that he's great in the shootouts is icing on the cake. He could use a little work on his faceoffs, but he'll get better over time.

roseyc 11-14-2010 11:28 PM

I too was in the bash O'Reilly corner and have reformed. One thing in hockey if the coach likes you and he gives you ice time you better perform and OR has done just that. I didn't see much in his game earlier other than just feeding Sully but lately he has stepped it up and he needs to shoot more. He has a fabulous wrist shot. It showed on the two shootout goals he had. That is not an easily developed shot. You had to be born with that shot that's not a talent you learn you have it or not in hockey. We now just need to get Wilson going. At the begining of the season if someone would have bet me that who would have more goals or a better season O'Reilly or Wilson it wouldn't have thought it was a fair question but Wilson has struggled. Granted he's had to switch to different positions due to our injury problems but you would have thought he could have handled it but he's struggled.

Seth Lake 11-15-2010 12:05 AM

I said throughout training camp that he was going to be one of our scoring line centers and no one believed me. Admittedly, I was on the "that's great, but he's gotta prove his consistency" bandwagon, but watching him daily in camp and even last year when he was a permascratch throughout the end of the year and playoffs, but working his butt off daily in and after practice to get ready for his next opportunity...I've gotta say he's legit.

In the past couple weeks getting to watch O'Reilly in practice, he's always one of the final guys off the ice and always only after getting some extra skill work in with the coaches or after having done a series of wind sprints by himself. He has a younger brother in the NHL now, you know he doesn't want to be shown up...;)

Milly79 11-15-2010 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by roseyc (Post 28952509)
I too was in the bash O'Reilly corner and have reformed. One thing in hockey if the coach likes you and he gives you ice time you better perform and OR has done just that. I didn't see much in his game earlier other than just feeding Sully but lately he has stepped it up and he needs to shoot more. He has a fabulous wrist shot. It showed on the two shootout goals he had. That is not an easily developed shot. You had to be born with that shot that's not a talent you learn you have it or not in hockey. We now just need to get Wilson going. At the begining of the season if someone would have bet me that who would have more goals or a better season O'Reilly or Wilson it wouldn't have thought it was a fair question but Wilson has struggled. Granted he's had to switch to different positions due to our injury problems but you would have thought he could have handled it but he's struggled.

I think Wilson needs more ice time and needs to be paired with better people. He's apparently been in Trotz's doghouse, lately. The kid has great vision and a helluva shot (if he'd start shooting more). Still think he's gonna be golden one day.

Seth Lake 11-15-2010 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Milly79 (Post 28953014)
I think Wilson needs more ice time and needs to be paired with better people. He's apparently been in Trotz's doghouse, lately. The kid has great vision and a helluva shot (if he'd start shooting more). Still think he's gonna be golden one day.

Not to sidetrack this thread, but I think a lot of the issues Wilson is having now are similar to some of the issues Cal faced. Right now Wilson is trying too hard to make things happen and as a result, he's not getting things done. I think a night off might help him evaluate the game and where he can make adjustments because right now when he gets the puck it looks like his hands and feet are going a million miles a minute trying to keep up with his head.

Cal worked his butt off and built confidence. I think Wilson's on that same path, but is just hitting a rough patch along the way...

Milly79 11-15-2010 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLake (Post 28953107)
Not to sidetrack this thread, but I think a lot of the issues Wilson is having now are similar to some of the issues Cal faced. Right now Wilson is trying too hard to make things happen and as a result, he's not getting things done. I think a night off might help him evaluate the game and where he can make adjustments because right now when he gets the puck it looks like his hands and feet are going a million miles a minute trying to keep up with his head.

Cal worked his butt off and built confidence. I think Wilson's on that same path, but is just hitting a rough patch along the way...

Yeah, sorry about that. Last comment on this, but I have to agree with you. He works as hard as pretty much anyone on the team in terms of hustling (although he's not fast enough), but he's definitely shown flashes of brilliance. I'm a huge Wilson fan-boy, so I may have my blinders on a bit. :pickle:

Everlong 11-15-2010 01:41 AM

Dear Cal,

I never lost faith like these chumps

Your long time friend,
CTC

:laugh:

OpenWheel 11-15-2010 05:40 AM

I've been on the fence in the past. I think I've given him props but also moaned that if we had O'Reilly as one of our top line centers it probably meant we weren't as good as we need to be at center. I think it still means that, but it's not a knock on his upside as I used to mean it, but now rather a knock on our other centers. (Thankfully Goc is back) O'Reilly's a legit NHLer. Keep it going Cal!

Legionnaire11 11-15-2010 07:21 AM

I was really high on Cal when he was in juniors and into Milwaukee, but I think I had almost given up on him making the jump to the NHL. I figured that if he didn't show something during Lombardi's absence that it would be his last chance. Maybe that was right, but thanks to Cal stepping it up this year, we won't have to go down that road.

PredsV82 11-15-2010 08:16 AM

I will take full credit for Oreilly's turnaround.

One of my hobbies is collecting trading cards with jersey swatches and/or autographs.

back in August, on ebay there was a CalO card with a great looking set of jersey swatches and it was autographed. the seller wanted $100 bucks for it but allowed people to submit offers.

I submitted a very lowball offer and told the seller "its a great card but I follow the preds and this guy is getting ready to wash out of the NHL"

so, you can all thank me anytime.. :D

(and needless to say I didnt get the card)

gopreds19 11-15-2010 10:06 AM

I've been pleased with Cal so far, especially in his playmaking and shoot outs. Pretty sure on 2 of his goals, he stole them from other players, as the puck was already going in the net and he just pushed it across at the last second. :)

I'm sure they don't mind though.