HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   I'm done with Easton, Help please. (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=842055)

zetterberg40 11-15-2010 11:03 AM

I'm done with Easton, Help please.

So I wont get into how many stick's I have broken this year because its asinine and stupid. Easton continues to put forth a ****** effort in durability and a lot of my friend's have been seeing it regress profoundly.

I need help.

I have used the Sakic (now Hall) curve for years upon years. I hate change. what curve's in every brand are similar? I looked it up myself but I didn't see any of them 100% identical..

thanks!

blueberrydanish 11-15-2010 11:11 AM

http://www.playersbench.com/bladeCom...pctN&r6=blpctN

Jarick 11-15-2010 11:14 AM

Well I doubt you need a curve that's 100% identical...

Bauer P92
Warrior Draper
Harrow #6

How are you breaking the sticks?

zetterberg40 11-15-2010 11:22 AM

yea i did more reading and i'm gonna get a Draper.

I broke the S14, two of them (got the warranty on the other) in 4 periods. A guy slacked me on my blade, and yet it broke at the handle. The second one broke on a slap shot that wasn't even at 50% power that i usually do. More like a Kronwall slap-shot pass-esque. My stick yesterday broke when I LIGHTLY smacked a guy on his shin. Broke like a tooth pick. I say this because I got a 4 yr old ST that's never broke but is slowly wearing down as my backup. That thing could hack a tree down before it breaks. These are all just breaking like tooth picks.

I broke 2 of light slaps, not hacks but slaps. Such as a slap congratulating your goalie after a good save. that type of slap. Broke 3 off slap shot passes, and 4 others I don't remember. I just cannot do it anymore. If my ST can last through a stronger beating then there should be no reason for these to break. I could see if I beat the **** out of my sticks, but if I play the same with my ST and it lasts, then those should too.

I work now at my local inline rink and I'll say 60% of the broken sticks I see are Easton's. All three that broke yesterday, including mine, were Eastons. I've spent over $1000 on sticks and enough is enough.

jsykes 11-15-2010 11:44 AM

Why not just get the new ST? Its a very durable stick and should do you well without having to switch brands if you're that in love with the curve.

Jimmy Carter 11-15-2010 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zetterberg40 (Post 28957214)

I broke the S14, two of them (got the warranty on the other) in 4 periods. A guy slacked me on my blade, and yet it broke at the handle. The second one broke on a slap shot that wasn't even at 50% power that i usually do. More like a Kronwall slap-shot pass-esque. My stick yesterday broke when I LIGHTLY smacked a guy on his shin. Broke like a tooth pick. I say this because I got a 4 yr old ST that's never broke but is slowly wearing down as my backup. That thing could hack a tree down before it breaks. These are all just breaking like tooth picks.

I broke 2 of light slaps, not hacks but slaps. Such as a slap congratulating your goalie after a good save. that type of slap. Broke 3 off slap shot passes, and 4 others I don't remember. I just cannot do it anymore. If my ST can last through a stronger beating then there should be no reason for these to break. I could see if I beat the **** out of my sticks, but if I play the same with my ST and it lasts, then those should too.

I work now at my local inline rink and I'll say 60% of the broken sticks I see are Easton's. All three that broke yesterday, including mine, were Eastons. I've spent over $1000 on sticks and enough is enough.

Why not get another ST? The '09 models were pretty beast. Then you can stick with the Sakic curve (my fave curve as well)

Jimmy Carter 11-15-2010 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jsykes (Post 28957547)
Why not just get the new ST? Its a very durable stick and should do you well without having to switch brands if you're that in love with the curve.

Beat me to the punch lol

Briere Up There* 11-15-2010 11:53 AM

Yeah, my SE16s break between 2-7 weeks of use. I either send 'em back or get another one. I can afford it, and I love the stick.

Next year though I might start trying another brand. Not to derail the topic, but does anyone know a blade pattern with the same lie as the Zetterberg and a similar curve but with more of a hook at the end? I should be able to roof pucks easier than I do.

paulie9 11-15-2010 11:58 AM

COMbat is making a pretty killer stick these days ;)

http://www.hockeygiant.com/com1052crstksr.html

Jarick 11-15-2010 12:15 PM

Did you mean the S13? I've not heard of an S14.

I would pick up some 2-piece sticks. Dolomite 2-pieces are $160-170, but if you break the shaft, you can just replace it and save the cost of a new blade.

The only toe curves I know are the Harrow #4 (pretty mild) and the Base Hossa pro (bigger open toe curve).

ArGarBarGar 11-15-2010 12:17 PM

I still have my reebok 5k from 2007 and it still hasn't broken.

:D

DJnet65 11-15-2010 12:56 PM

Or maybe go with a 2piece stick, then you can keep using your Sakic blade and go with a better shaft.

SouthpawTRK 11-15-2010 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zetterberg40 (Post 28957214)

Sounds like you've had some bad luck with the Easton twigs that you bought. But, any stick can break no matter who the manufacture is. You said that you see a lot of broken Eastons, but don't let the number of broken Eastons cloud your judgment. In your area there are probably a lot of people that buy Easton, let alone the fact that Easton sells a ton of sticks worldwide. The odds of people bringing in broken sticks that are Eastons are going to be on the high side. The only stick that I've ever broken was not an Easton, and that was a fluke accident (the blade of my stick got caught in the zamboni door).

Since you are now working at your local inline rink, you should take advantage of your employee discounts and/or talk to a stick rep about getting new sticks at a price that the general public cannot get. Since you'll be getting a a great discount on sticks, you might want to try out some other brands and/or a two piece set up. Maybe a Warrior Dolomite or a Bauer One95?

noobman 11-15-2010 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SouthpawTRK (Post 28958949)
The only stick that I've ever broken was not an Easton, and that was a fluke accident (the blade of my stick got caught in the zamboni door).

That's what did my last stick in. It put a nice crack in the blade and two games later it broke completely.

Jarick 11-15-2010 01:16 PM

I haven't used many Eastons, had a couple blades go soft quickly but that's about it.

My One95 I got used and it had a crack right in the middle of the shaft (a horizontal crack all the way across on the inside wall right where the bottom hand is). Surprisingly, it still works great, the blade looks brand new, and I've used it for months without it getting worse. Maybe that says I'm weak as hell, but the blade even looks brand new.

I've also had Dolomites that last forever, huge chunks out of the blade but still very stiff months later.

And my Harrows are absolute tanks too, although they are a bit heavy and don't have as much kick as high end sticks.

ponder 11-15-2010 01:59 PM

I've been breaking a lot of sticks recently, doesn't matter which brand (most recently Bauers and Sherwoods), definitely frustrating. Last stick was a one95, performance was fantastic, but broke it in less than 2 months. I'm now of the opinion that it's a complete waste of money to ever buy a $200+ stick when they're so damn fragile, once any high end stick takes a good slash or some other such impact its days are pretty much numbered, especially if you shoot hard. Replaced the one95 with an Easton ST that I got on sale for almost half off, performance is not up to the one95 at all (worse puck feel, more blade heavy, doesn't flex as well/as nicely, I prefer 77 flex sticks but the ST only goes down to 85), but they're supposed to be tanks durability wise, so hopefully that's true! Apparently it's wrapped in kevlar to make it more impact resistant, and the walls of the shaft are definitely way thicker than on the one95, so I'm reasonably optimistic.

1stoverall 11-15-2010 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zetterberg40 (Post 28956917)
So I wont get into how many stick's I have broken this year because its asinine and stupid. Easton continues to put forth a ****** effort in durability and a lot of my friend's have been seeing it regress profoundly.

I need help.

I have used the Sakic (now Hall) curve for years upon years. I hate change. what curve's in every brand are similar? I looked it up myself but I didn't see any of them 100% identical..

thanks!

your absolutely right i went through 4 S17's and 1 S19 in 7 months before getting the hint, i will never buy easton twigs again.

ponder 11-15-2010 03:09 PM

If you want a mix of durability and performance I think a ST shaft with a one95 blade would be a nice combo. The ST blade kind of sucks, quite heavy (enough to make the stick feel noticeably blade heavy) and not great puck feel. One95 blades are awesome, light and great puck feel with the dual density foam core, plus the blades seem reasonably durable (unlike the one95 shafts with the super thin walls that are likely to snap from one good slash), just seems like it could be a real good combo to me.

BadHammy* 11-15-2010 03:13 PM

The pro stock Eastons are more durable than the retail. The ST's rock though, if you can deal with a little extra weight.

Splitbtw 11-15-2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponder (Post 28961298)
If you want a mix of durability and performance I think a ST shaft with a one95 blade would be a nice combo. The ST blade kind of sucks, quite heavy (enough to make the stick feel noticeably blade heavy) and not great puck feel. One95 blades are awesome, light and great puck feel with the dual density foam core, plus the blades seem reasonably durable (unlike the one95 shafts with the super thin walls that are likely to snap from one good slash), just seems like it could be a real good combo to me.

I'm going to try something similar with a one95 blade and the shaft of a synergy elite.

IDuck 11-15-2010 04:31 PM

FYI warrior draper in now toews...not a fan of easton because i have gone through the same thing

TBLfan 11-15-2010 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by donGjohnson (Post 28961370)
The pro stock Eastons are more durable than the retail. The ST's rock though, if you can deal with a little extra weight.

You are wrong. The only reason why pro Easton sticks appear more durable is because a majority of them are STs that have Stealth or SE16/EQ50 graphics.

jsykes 11-15-2010 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IDuck (Post 28962680)
FYI warrior draper in now toews...not a fan of easton because i have gone through the same thing

There are some Toews out there, but they will likely return to Draper since Toews decided to sign with Bauer instead of Warrior and the sticks were already marked.

The Tikkanen 11-15-2010 09:28 PM

I used to break Eastons, switched to Warrior, never broke one of those, Sherwood, never broke and Bauer, never broke. Bought a CCM U+ and broke it the first time I used it passing the puck! The bad news? I just decided to get another Easton SQ50 today since I love the Gaborik curve (now Chara). I hope this one holds up.

ponder 11-15-2010 10:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TBLfan (Post 28962763)
You are wrong. The only reason why pro Easton sticks appear more durable is because a majority of them are STs that have Stealth or SE16/EQ50 graphics.

A little OT, I'm just curious here, but any idea why the pros like STs so much? If it's as durable as many say then it seems like a great stick for your average player, performance is not bad, but if I was getting sticks for free I'd be using a more high performance but fragile stick like a one95 without a doubt.