HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Pick one incident... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=843209)

Cleary84 11-18-2010 03:41 AM

Pick one incident...

Pick one incident, past or present, either Flyers or entire NHL related, where you could be a fly on the wall in the office or room where it took place. You would have full knowledge of all the details and know what was on the minds of all the parties involved.

For me, it would be the Bobrovsky signing. I'm interested in the questions Bob's side asked regarding playing time, bonuses and actual salary. I'm also interested in what Snyder and Holmgren originally thought of signing an unknown Russian who knew zero English.

SgtJoseph 11-18-2010 04:05 AM

I would have liked to been a fly on the wall and listened to the talk about signing Dave Schultz and Don Saleski to bring more toughness to the club after years of the Flyers being bullied.I bet they had no idea just what that whole deal was going to set in motion.It was BRILLIANT !

ugiswrong 11-18-2010 04:52 AM

late night April 1, early morning April 2, 1999...

...a hotel somewhere outside of Nashville...

Would have loved to have been there while all that business about a collapsed lung, a bathtub, and rumors about having been in a car accident were swirling around the eventual draining of #88 from his standing with the O&B.

chaosof99* 11-18-2010 07:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtJoseph (Post 29021553)
I would have liked to been a fly on the wall and listened to the talk about signing Dave Schultz and Don Saleski to bring more toughness to the club after years of the Flyers being bullied.I bet they had no idea just what that whole deal was going to set in motion.It was BRILLIANT !

That would be a good pick.

Somewhere further down the line I would have really liked to see that closed door meeting in a hotel Room in Denver in October 2008. The team played completely transformed after that, when they lost the first 4 games of the season. It would take another two games after that to earn the first victory, though there were two very close games against the Sharks right after that.

But bigger than that, I would have liked to hear what Laviolette said after the team went down 3-0 against the Bruins last year, or in the first intermission in Game 7 of that series, or in between Periods against the Rangers in game 82.

nevermore 11-18-2010 07:10 AM

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3054/...41a05e40cc.jpg

Cleary84 11-18-2010 07:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nevermore (Post 29022090)

This is my second choice. I find myself laughing about this often.

:laugh:

SeanCWombBroom 11-18-2010 07:49 AM

I wish I could be a time traveler and run screaming into the meetings about trading for Lindros.

I'm from the future NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo

Fly on the wall would be getting the real scoop about who if anyone slept with Brindy's wife.

chaosof99* 11-18-2010 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DownieFaceSoftener (Post 29022343)
I wish I could be a time traveler and run screaming into the meetings about trading for Lindros.

I'm from the future NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOo

Fly on the wall would be getting the real scoop about who if anyone slept with Brindy's wife.

If were able to time travel for this kind of purpose, I'd go and remove the spark plug from Pelle Lindbergh's car. And just to make sure, I'd slash his tires too.

RJ8812 11-18-2010 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chaosof99 (Post 29022564)
If were able to time travel for this kind of purpose, I'd go and remove the spark plug from Pelle Lindbergh's car. And just to make sure, I'd slash his tires too.

OR

you could just be his DD?

BillyShoe1721 11-18-2010 08:49 AM

Holmgren's car ride with Richards and Carter.

CantSeeColors 11-18-2010 09:03 AM

Maybe it's just because it's been on our minds, but I'd really like to know what went on with Maroon.

Kambo 11-18-2010 09:03 AM

There's plenty of that meeting stuff and whatnot, but is it bad I'd just want to be a fly on the wall during postgame showers? :naughty:

McNasty 11-18-2010 09:03 AM

Any time where talked about what really went down with Lindros and Brind' Amour.

GirouxCouturier 11-18-2010 09:15 AM

Pull the spark plug and slash pelles tires like someone said.

chaosof99* 11-18-2010 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ8812 (Post 29022788)
OR

you could just be his DD?

Dangerous proposal. I'm a anti-alcoholic, but if I'm hanging out with the team who knows what would happen. As fun as hanging out with the team would be, it could easily becoming the case that I lose sight of Pelle and become unable to prevent the accident from happening.

Mosetter27 11-18-2010 01:15 PM

Slightly off topic but according to "orange black and blue" flyers book. Had pelle not died hexy was to be traded, iirc to detroit...don't get me wrong I would never wish death on anyone, but hexy is my all time fav..

Mgkibbles 11-18-2010 03:53 PM

I would have loved to witness the post game meetings during last year's winter when the Flyers season was in a tailspin.

Larry44 11-18-2010 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cleary84 (Post 29021487)
Pick one incident, past or present, either Flyers or entire NHL related, where you could be a fly on the wall in the office or room where it took place. You would have full knowledge of all the details and know what was on the minds of all the parties involved.

For me, it would be the Bobrovsky signing. I'm interested in the questions Bob's side asked regarding playing time, bonuses and actual salary. I'm also interested in what Snyder and Holmgren originally thought of signing an unknown Russian who knew zero English.

Homer talked about it in one of the news articles within the last few weeks.

He said they were looking at drafting him in 2006 but decided not to pick him because of the difficulties in getting Russians signed and over her (hello, Bodrov?).

His buddy Varlamov got picked in the first round, one pick after Giroux.

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/draft/nhl2006e.html

Homer said the organization had followed him since then, and would've seen him in the Super Series in 2007, in which Giroux played. Bob played a lot more than Varlamov in that series, and I vaguely remember him but I've taped over all the tapes by now..
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2007_Super_Series#Canada

They also scouted him in Russia, while they were watching Emery and, we assume, Esche, so they knew a lot about him - it was just a matter of him deciding which of his NHL suitors he'd pick....

agrudez* 11-18-2010 04:27 PM

I would have liked to be a fly on the wall when Tocchet KO'd Lindros. That little organization destroying *****.

jd2210 11-18-2010 04:27 PM

I'm not too sure that a fly on the wall could slash Pelle's tires or drive him home for that matter. That would be one amazing fly.

Super Fly.

DrinkFightFlyers 11-18-2010 04:47 PM

I'd say either the trading of Gagne to see what was said from both sides, i.e. if Gagne was pissed, hurt, angry, happy to help the team, etc or the Gretzky trade to see how that went down.

DrHamburg 11-18-2010 04:48 PM

Id love to hear Homer explaining to anyone how Shelley was worth 1.1 mil over 3 years :D

CharlieGirl 11-18-2010 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kambo (Post 29022984)
There's plenty of that meeting stuff and whatnot, but is it bad I'd just want to be a fly on the wall during postgame showers? :naughty:

:laugh::laugh:

MiamiScreamingEagles 11-18-2010 05:00 PM

http://t1.gstatic.com/images?q=tbn:A...3iZukiaBAGwmuy

In a serious manner: the NHL's decision regarding Brian Propp-Chris Chelios in 1989.

In a joking manner:
  • Jay: Bob, hi, we've made a decision for a change. Thank you for the years of service.
  • Clarkie: Oh, Jay... (..........................).

XS Chop 11-18-2010 05:05 PM

Would have been fun to see the look on the USSR coach's face as he was being "convinced" to put the team back on the ice against the Flyers back in '76.