HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Weak Side/Weak Skating Leg (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=843219)

hitmanjat 11-18-2010 04:53 AM

Weak Side/Weak Skating Leg

I recently got back into hockey about 6 months ago.
I played from the age of about 6-13.

When i played while i was younger i always had an issue with my right foot being significantly weaker then my left.

IE) Making sharp turns to the right side, crossing over towards the right side, basically anything that involves my right foot being the inside foot, i have issues with, my issue is my inside edge on my right foot.

Even when i stop with my left skate, my right foot inside edge just drags along with it.
I feel very uncomfortable on this side, i have tried to force myself on this side and it has gotten slightly better however still not near where i want it to be. My left side is great, i can cut to left quickly and effectively, and when i cut to the left putting weight on the outside edge of my right foot it feels sturdy.

My question is, are there any exercises i can do to improve my weak side, i understand everyone has a weak side, however mine is significantly worse.

Thanks

kr580 11-18-2010 05:23 AM

Public skate. Go there and force yourself to work on your weak side and it won't take very long if you stick with it.

hitmanjat 11-18-2010 05:30 AM

I've tried working on it at stick and puck, but I play more drop INS most of the time, like 4 times per week and try to force myself on that side. It's just so drastically weaker though, I will try some public skates although i was recently doing some power skating as well which didmt help much for the weak side anyways

I think my problem is I don't trust my bad side and skate to straight up when making those movement s

mobilus 11-18-2010 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gritbrothers11 (Post 29021735)
I think my problem is I don't trust my bad side and skate to straight up when making those movement s

So trust it, and you won't have a problem.

Skraut 11-18-2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mobilus (Post 29023117)
So trust it, and you won't have a problem.

This.

It's how I learned to hockey stop with my hips turning to the right. I never would trust it, even after 6 months of being able to stop on a dime going to the left, I never had any trust in going to the right.

So I went to a morning open skate which was mostly empty, threw on all my protective gear, and sprinted at the boards saying to myself, "I'll either learn to stop going to the right, or this is going to hurt"

I stopped successfully 5 of the first 6 times I tried it, (the last time I had gotten cocky and quit paying attention to what I was doing) and haven't had any issues trusting myself stopping to the right since.

Jarick 11-18-2010 10:22 AM

You've gotta put in the work at either open skate, stick and puck, or on the ponds in winter. Wear your gear so you don't worry about getting hurt, and just force yourself to do it. Start slow, work your way up to speed. Break it down into steps. If you're like me and get distracted, keep your stick on the bench to force working on skating.

izzy3 11-18-2010 10:31 AM

i had a similar problem, only with my left leg. while trust in your ability will def help, you can use these one leg drills to get that confidence in your weak leg.

you might also do what i have done: i usually had most of my weight on my strong leg. this is bad, bc you're not in perfect balance. one leg drills will help you develop the necessary strength and trust in your weak leg.

Jive Time 11-18-2010 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gritbrothers11 (Post 29021735)
I've tried working on it at stick and puck, but I play more drop INS most of the time, like 4 times per week and try to force myself on that side. It's just so drastically weaker though, I will try some public skates although i was recently doing some power skating as well which didmt help much for the weak side anyways

The problem I have with public skate (at least where I live) is that it's always counter clockwise which favors your left leg. So, like others have said, stick and puck is where it's at. Put the pads on, and start cranking on those right side edging drills till you fall down tired. The trust part will follow soon.

hitmanjat 11-18-2010 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by zephyr8 (Post 29024807)
The problem I have with public skate (at least where I live) is that it's always counter clockwise which favors your left leg. So, like others have said, stick and puck is where it's at. Put the pads on, and start cranking on those right side edging drills till you fall down tired. The trust part will follow soon.

Yea same issue here, my problem isnt stopping on a dime, i can stop on either side, its just the one side is much weaker and drags, I wish it was easy as just trusting that side, I will keep working at it though my goal is to have it much stronger by the end of the year.

Thanks for those drills i will add them to my routine.

BadHammy* 11-18-2010 02:41 PM

1 legged plyometrics on your weak side are your best bet in short order. Begin by doing 1 legged plyos on each side and take measurements so you can properly ascertain the difference, e.g. how many more reps or how much higher you can jump off your strong leg. After you've gotten this data, begin to bridge the gap. Begin gradually doing more work on that side, it will make a large impact in only a few weeks.

When you know that your weak leg is no longer much weaker, you'll have to work on forcing yourself to use it properly on ice but that will come much easier because you'll have increased confidence.

hitmanjat 11-18-2010 08:41 PM

Thanks i will try ployos im a gym rat anyways.

Badger36 11-18-2010 08:57 PM

Like the others said, you just need to go to public skate and work on it.

ponder 11-18-2010 10:33 PM

Yeah, just go to public skate and work on nothing but crossovers and stops on your weak side, over and over and over again. Sounds like you need to work on 2-foot stops on your strong side as well, I also just did 1 foot stops for too long, to learn 2-stops I forced myself to initiate stops with my back leg, keeping my front leg lifted as long as possible, this helps you get the feel of stopping with your back foot, then you can bring your front foot back into the stop and you'll be putting pressure on both feet. When stopping on both sides make sure you can do slow, long sliding stop as well as faster, more aggressive stops, practicing those slow stops where you really slide are a big help in terms of improving your edge control in general. At stick and puck it's too easy to get distracted and start shooting a tonne (which is obviously way more fun than skating drills), and you'll never improve on your weaknesses in-game, public skate really is the way to go for improving skating technique. If you focus hard I'll bet you'll be way better turning and stopping on your weak side within 10 public skates, and probably at a level where your weak side becomes useful in games within 20-30 skates.

hitmanjat 11-19-2010 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ponder (Post 29040630)
Yeah, just go to public skate and work on nothing but crossovers and stops on your weak side, over and over and over again. Sounds like you need to work on 2-foot stops on your strong side as well, I also just did 1 foot stops for too long, to learn 2-stops I forced myself to initiate stops with my back leg, keeping my front leg lifted as long as possible, this helps you get the feel of stopping with your back foot, then you can bring your front foot back into the stop and you'll be putting pressure on both feet. When stopping on both sides make sure you can do slow, long sliding stop as well as faster, more aggressive stops, practicing those slow stops where you really slide are a big help in terms of improving your edge control in general. At stick and puck it's too easy to get distracted and start shooting a tonne (which is obviously way more fun than skating drills), and you'll never improve on your weaknesses in-game, public skate really is the way to go for improving skating technique. If you focus hard I'll bet you'll be way better turning and stopping on your weak side within 10 public skates, and probably at a level where your weak side becomes useful in games within 20-30 skates.

Thanks i will try the public skates, also gonna do the plyos and the one legged drills.

I actually have no problem doing 2 foot stops on my good side, on my weak side i can almost do it but my weak foot drags a bit, i can do crossovers on the weakside as well bbut not nearly as fast as my good side. The area i really want this to help me in is sharp turns i can turn sharp on my good side and explode fast, however on my bad side not so much.

ju87 11-19-2010 03:31 AM

do you have a problem turning to the weakside with the boot touching down on the outside sometimes ?

eg if your right is your weakside, turns to the right

rwr 11-19-2010 11:38 AM

i think it helps like people suggest public skating, also if you have roller blades for summer training, use those and do lots of cross overs and turns on your weak side.i did this and it has helped alot

Areid1990 11-19-2010 01:00 PM

Put your helmet on and work on it. Be prepared to fall while you get the hang of it.

The Helmet is key or at least it was for me because I wasn't worried about falling anymore after.

RobertKron 11-19-2010 01:56 PM

Just to put in my 2 cents:

I was born extremely pigeon-toed with twisted shin bones, and all kinds of weird **** going on with my left leg from the mid-shin down. I had to wear these crazy boots attached to a bar as a baby to correct it. It sucked.

As a result, my left ankle is a lot weaker than my right side, and also my left leg is a bit shorter. I have similar problems with my left leg while skating, although I skate fine, my left side is weaker in general than my right. I've played hockey for 20 years, did tons of powerskating, etc. as a kid, and it's still an issue to this day. It's not always just a matter of "just go to the rink and do it."

To the OP: You said that you played for 7 years as a kid, so I'm assuming that this is a leg strength thing rather than a "learning to skate" thing. Your best bet is to work on strengthening your leg and ankle on that side. As I got my left leg stronger, it definitely helped on the ice a lot. It's still just structurally not as good as the right side, but after my first few years, it was never a real issue with my game. I got better at that side, and I learned to compensate for it, and my skating was never something that people commented on as a weakness.

hitmanjat 11-19-2010 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MW (Post 29049375)
Just to put in my 2 cents:

I was born extremely pigeon-toed with twisted shin bones, and all kinds of weird **** going on with my left leg from the mid-shin down. I had to wear these crazy boots attached to a bar as a baby to correct it. It sucked.

As a result, my left ankle is a lot weaker than my right side, and also my left leg is a bit shorter. I have similar problems with my left leg while skating, although I skate fine, my left side is weaker in general than my right. I've played hockey for 20 years, did tons of powerskating, etc. as a kid, and it's still an issue to this day. It's not always just a matter of "just go to the rink and do it."

To the OP: You said that you played for 7 years as a kid, so I'm assuming that this is a leg strength thing rather than a "learning to skate" thing. Your best bet is to work on strengthening your leg and ankle on that side. As I got my left leg stronger, it definitely helped on the ice a lot. It's still just structurally not as good as the right side, but after my first few years, it was never a real issue with my game. I got better at that side, and I learned to compensate for it, and my skating was never something that people commented on as a weakness.

I am definetly going to start plyos, however this is my stronger leg muscle wise anyways (right) its my kicking foot that i have issues with. Those one foot exercises should help and more public skates.