HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Boston Bruins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   Speculation: Best option for Ryder (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=843315)

Dougie Seguin 11-18-2010 11:01 AM

Best option for Ryder

Yes, this has been discussed ALOT but what really is the best option for Michael Ryder?

Most people would say trade him away for a late pick and or a mid prospect. But i believe that the best option for Michael Ryder would be once Sturm and Savard come back would be to send him down to Providence. Yes, he would have to go through waivers and re-entry waivers, but who would claim him with his contract?

If a team does come calling for him, the Bruins would have to take back some salary and that wouldn't help them with their cap situation.

What would be the best place to put Ryder?

bme44 11-18-2010 11:03 AM

The Best place for the Bruins to put Ryder is on the roster and put Stum in the AHL or germany or anywhere but Boston

MTaylorJ1 11-18-2010 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bme44 (Post 29024657)
The Best place for the Bruins to put Ryder is on the roster and put Stum in the AHL or germany or anywhere but Boston

This would seem like the obvious solution. Sturm is more likely to pass through waivers (and I'd be less upset if someone claimed him), his skillset is easier for the Bruins to replace with the talent currently in the organization, and he has a NTC.

The problem is, if the reports are true that Savard will return before Sturm, they'll have to clear a much bigger salary just to get Sturm on the roster to waive him. I suppose PCS is a vague enough diagnosis that they could hold Savard back long enough to deal Paille and send some guys down and waive Sturm prior to Savard being activated.

In Providence, Sturm gets the benefit of an extended rehab, and can return in the playoffs if we have depth issues.

Kaoz 11-18-2010 11:08 AM

Assuming Ryder is the odd man out, you're assuming Chia and Co. will have a choice. That's two assumptions in one sentence. If a trade becomes available, then they'll trade him regardless of return. If the trade is available and they don't take it, that's a fair bit of money out of ownerships pocket and I assume that would piss them off. No one wants to lose 3 million dollars for nothing.

If they don't have a trade offer, and they have buyoff from management they'll bury him. Bring him back come playoff time.

The best option for Ryder isn't on the poll, as it would be to continue playing in Boston and being a contributor. Sturm should be the odd man out imo... cheaper to bury and an unknown. At his best he gives you what Ryder is giving you now. Why take the risk?

bme44 11-18-2010 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MTaylorJ1 (Post 29024725)
This would seem like the obvious solution. Sturm is more likely to pass through waivers (and I'd be less upset if someone claimed him), his skillset is easier for the Bruins to replace with the talent currently in the organization, and he has a NTC.

The problem is, if the reports are true that Savard will return before Sturm, they'll have to clear a much bigger salary just to get Sturm on the roster to waive him. I suppose PCS is a vague enough diagnosis that they could hold Savard back long enough to deal Paille and send some guys down and waive Sturm prior to Savard being activated.

In Providence, Sturm gets the benefit of an extended rehab, and can return in the playoffs if we have depth issues.

I just think adding Sturm to the roster is not an answer let him rehab whereever till playoff time if he is playing well he would be a nice addition

hockeybpr25 11-18-2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

agreed, right now i would rather have ryder than sturm. however, ryder is more trade-able because sturm has NTC or is it at NMC?

SerenityRick 11-18-2010 11:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seguin and Colborne (Post 29024628)
Yes, this has been discussed ALOT but what really is the best option for Michael Ryder?

Most people would say trade him away for a late pick and or a mid prospect. But i believe that the best option for Michael Ryder would be once Sturm and Savard come back would be to send him down to Providence. Yes, he would have to go through waivers and re-entry waivers, but who would claim him with his contract?

If a team does come calling for him, the Bruins would have to take back some salary and that wouldn't help them with their cap situation.

What would be the best place to put Ryder?

Any team with extra cap space in need of extra/secondary scoring. The guy has the rest of this season on his contract so it's not like a team would be risking a whole lot in taking him, especially considering his play as of late.

Now if he had 3+ years left with that cap hit then, yeah.. I doubt any team would take that. However I'm sure there are a handful of teams maybe looking at him.

chuckdobbins 11-18-2010 11:27 AM

I wish he could stay cuz I do like his game so far this season. The contract makes him the easy target to move unfortunately. I'd much rather have him than Sturm.

If it ends up being Sturm on the Bruins rather than Ryder, I can live with that as long as Sturm stays healthy, but that's a huge concern.

bolt thrower 11-18-2010 11:27 AM

Quote:

This. Sturm has become useless. He will get injured anway after playing 5 games:(

David Krejci 11-18-2010 11:28 AM

Quote:

The Best place for the Bruins to put Ryder is on the roster and put Sturm in the AHL or germany or anywhere but Boston

Yup. I'd 1000% rather have Michael Ryder than Marco Sturm. Ryder's been playing a really well rounded game this year. He'll pot 20-25 goals. Sturm is an injury liability and isn't a pure scorer like Ryder (yeah he led the team in goals last year, but I could have led the team in goals last year). You could argue Sturm is a valuable PK'er, but we already have the best PK in the league, sooo....

Plus Ryder and Seguin play well together. If you can re-sign Ryder for 3 mil next year, do it. If not, both him and Sturm are off the books and you have some cap room to play around.

ksp1957 11-18-2010 11:29 AM

Quote:

Agreed as well. Two knee surgeries and then a 'comeback'. Pass.

Oates2Neely 11-18-2010 11:31 AM

How about none of the above...the place for him is in Boston on the RW...

Sturm is the guy who doesnt belong... Sturm era is over.

smithformeragent 11-18-2010 11:31 AM

Ya, where's keep Ryder and dump Sturm? I refuse to vote.

Seguins Dragon* 11-18-2010 11:32 AM

trade him for ANYTHING to ANYWHERE.....

except for Toronto, we don`t want to help them.... and don`t kid yourself, Micheal Ryder would improve that team.

Beesfan 11-18-2010 11:33 AM

I voted "trade him for anything," but I think we could get at least a second round pick or an equivalent prospect for him.

I actually prefer him on the roster to Sturm, except for the fact that Sturm has chemistry with all three centers (Krejci, Savard, Bergeron) whereas Ryder only has chemistry with Krejci and Seguin. Horton stays on Krejci's wing, and Seguin moves to RW, so that makes Ryder pretty useless.

Dicky113 11-18-2010 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oates2Neely (Post 29025128)
How about none of the above...the place for him is in Boston on the RW...

Sturm is the guy who doesnt belong... Sturm era is over.

Does Sturm have NTC or NMC?

Jack Donaghy 11-18-2010 11:38 AM

I don't think Sturm is going anywhere. It's been noted a few times that he has a NTC, and I really doubt they will send him to Providence. He's a legit NHLer and that would be crazy disrespectful. "Hey Marco, thanks for battling to come back but we're having cap issues so we're thinking you should go ride buses in the AHL for the rest of the year."
I think they will trade Ryder for a pick or something. I hope Marco comes back and kicks some butt.
Or maybe Timmy is being shopped with all these starts recently. :sarcasm:

bme44 11-18-2010 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dicky113 (Post 29025156)

It is a NTC as far as I know

UConn126 11-18-2010 11:39 AM

If we can trade him and get a good return, I say do it. I'm talking like a 2nd rounder or a solid prospect. If not, I say put him (or Sturm) in Providence and have them come up for the playoffs or for injuries.

Ratty 11-18-2010 11:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bme44 (Post 29024890)
I just think adding Sturm to the roster is not an answer let him rehab whereever till playoff time if he is playing well he would be a nice addition

Nice thought. But the rules require placing him on the roster when he is healthy and cleared medically to play. There is a limit to the number of "rehab" games he can play in the minors.

Oates2Neely 11-18-2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dicky113 (Post 29025156)

Idk for sure but the consensus around here says he has a NTC... Which I'd hope he'd waive.. He really doesnt have a place on this team. Once Savard is back Seguin moves to RW or LW... Who does Sturm replace: Lucic, Horton, Wheeler, Ryder, Seguin, Recchi, Caron?

Kaoz 11-18-2010 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratty (Post 29025264)
Nice thought. But the rules require placing him on the roster when he is healthy and cleared medically to play. There is a limit to the number of "rehab" games he can play in the minors.

At which point you waive him and send him back down to Provo. Someone grabs him, good on em but I doubt it.

bme44 11-18-2010 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ratty (Post 29025264)

I am well aware off this but all that is required is to clear enough salary for one day to put him on wavers and he can be sent down. Where there is will there is a way

TheBigBadB 11-18-2010 11:56 AM

Keep Ryder. Send Sturm to Providence for the rest of the season. After season Ryder is off the books, there will be a clearer picture on Sturm's capabilities and then make a decision.

Also I believe the cap does not count in the playoffs, correct? Couldnt Sturm be brought back up at that time, or do they have a rule against this. Imagine keeping Ryder and able to add Sturm during the playoffs?!

smithformeragent 11-18-2010 12:00 PM

I'm not buying the idea of letting Sturm play out the regular season in the AHL and then bringing him up for the playoffs. It wouldn't be effective for him or for the team. How is he going to have any chemistry with linemates in Boston come playoff time if his first playing time comes in game 1 of the playoffs.

Question, if someone else with a salary on the higher end were to get injured badly between now and and when Sturm/Savard come back can they just be put on LTIR and have Savard or Sturm come back without having to move anyone else.

ex. Say Horton goes down for the year, can Boston then fit in Savard and Sturm without making any other moves?