HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   News Article: On Boyle, Rozsival - Surprising Stats (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=843412)

Wraparounds 11-18-2010 04:24 PM

On Boyle, Rozsival - Surprising Stats
 
http://www.fromtherink.com/2010/11/1...rprising-stats

Quote:

Goals Rangers forward Brian Boyle had four goals in each of his three NHL seasons. This year? The 6-7 center has eight goals in 18 games, including the first two power play tallies of his career.
:thumbu:

Quote:

Shots Rangers defenseman Michal Rozsival has more missed shots (13) than shots on goal (12) through 15 games.
:thumbd:

Florida Ranger 11-18-2010 04:25 PM

Boyle will score 20+ goals and not record an assist.

pld459666 11-18-2010 04:39 PM

.
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Wraparounds (Post 29029358)

seems obvious now why Rozy has not been shooting.

Hopefully the shoulder heals enough to let loose from the point more often.

bscharf 11-18-2010 04:52 PM

Thats because Rosy is shooting from the blue line.

Hes obviously going to miss from that far out a couple times. you cant knock his shot, its great.

Give the guy a break. Hes played great.

Puckface NYR* 11-18-2010 04:59 PM

I like the avatar wraparounds.

DubiDubiDoo 11-18-2010 07:59 PM

What am I missing with Rozsival, what is it that everyone is in love with?

I do not hate the guy at all. I think he's a class act and he has been a good Ranger.

But people keep throwing around the word good and great when describing aspects of his game, I dont see it.

haveandare 11-18-2010 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bscharf (Post 29029856)
Thats because Rosy is shooting from the blue line.

Hes obviously going to miss from that far out a couple times. you cant knock his shot, its great.

Give the guy a break. Hes played great.

He's played great defense. Honestly though, I think he's terrible at picking when to shoot. His shot itself is well above average but sometimes it looks like he has no idea when to use it.

Evolved83 11-18-2010 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DubiDubiDoo (Post 29033394)
What am I missing with Rozsival, what is it that everyone is in love with?

I do not hate the guy at all. I think he's a class act and he has been a good Ranger.

But people keep throwing around the word good and great when describing aspects of his game, I dont see it.

I am with you on that. I actually have been paying closer attention to him since everyone keeps mentioning what a great job he is doing(prior to injury of coarse), but I don't buy it. Don't get me wrong, I think he is ok, but he is certainly not as good as some people make him out to be.

Hopefully he will shoot more from the point when he gets back...

DubiDubiDoo 11-18-2010 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Evolved83 (Post 29034746)
I am with you on that. I actually have been paying closer attention to him since everyone keeps mentioning what a great job he is doing(prior to injury of coarse), but I don't buy it. Don't get me wrong, I think he is ok, but he is certainly not as good as some people make him out to be.

Hopefully he will shoot more from the point when he gets back...

I hear ya man, I have no problem with the guy. I dont think his play is hurting us or that he's a problem on this team (other than the contract). But I just dont see what people are talking about.
When I watch him I always feel like he slow on his skates, he's slow to make passes, he never shoots.
Of course he's almost always in position on D because at even strength he doesn't get involved in the offense at all. He keeps one foot on the blueline afraid to try anything in the offensive zone. He's the definition of average.
Sure it bothers me that people boo him, because he really seems like a good guy, but he's way overhyped here.

People say he'd be hard to replace, but I'd take plenty of cheaper guys over Rozsival.
Lydman, Enstrom, Hainsey, Siedenberg, Leopold, Regehr, Pitkanen, Liles, Toots, Robidas,...... and on and on and on....

HVPOLARBEARS19 11-19-2010 10:03 AM

Rozy drives me crazy. In the Buffalo series a few years back, he really looked good...it looked like he may be turning the corner and become a legit top pairing defender.

However, he has regressed since then. I don't hate him like others do, but he is very frustrating to watch. He takes boneheaded penalties at the most inopportune times, more than anyone else on the team. His shot selection is god awful, and while his shot might be "good", it's not accurate. On defense he's been decent, and I'm not going to hate on him back there, but when he gets the puck at the point, you might as well just give it to the other team because it's going to be wide by 3 feet.

WhipNash27 11-19-2010 11:08 AM

It still boggles my mind how professional hockey players can miss so often when shooting from the point.

Fitzy 11-19-2010 11:10 AM

Rozy has shot it wide intentionally several times this season.

It is the one area where he frustrates me though. He often takes so long to shoot that the team/goaltender has time to get into position.

Bardof425* 11-19-2010 11:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY (Post 29045272)
Rozy has shot it wide intentionally several times this season.

It is the one area where he frustrates me though. He often takes so long to shoot that the team/goaltender has time to get into position.

that's the only area where he frustrates you? I am with these guys. He is slow, indecisive and not nearly physical enough. He is a stick checking machine which takes him to the box way too often. He doesn't sacrifice his body to block shots like a few other d-men and is in my opinion below average. The only thing that makes him serviceable is his experience. I think that last year when the booing began people were too hard on him and now there appears to be a knee jerk reaction in the opposite direction to support him when his game (after a few good ones early) is back to being below average. I hope that Torts sees that we are playing better without him and gives other guys more ice time and reduces Rozi's when he's back. Move him if possible.

Puckface NYR* 11-19-2010 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bardof425 (Post 29045353)
that's the only area where he frustrates you? I am with these guys. He is slow, indecisive and not nearly physical enough. He is a stick checking machine which takes him to the box way too often. He doesn't sacrifice his body to block shots like a few other d-men and is in my opinion below average. The only thing that makes him serviceable is his experience. I think that last year when the booing began people were too hard on him and now there appears to be a knee jerk reaction in the opposite direction to support him when his game (after a few good ones early) is back to being below average. I hope that Torts sees that we are playing better without him and gives other guys more ice time and reduces Rozi's when he's back. Move him if possible.


Are you going to hijack every thread with your hatred for Rozy? You don't like the guy we get it, but theres a lot of positives to his game that no one else in the system or on the roster brings to the table right now.

Also, just to note....please break up your posts

Bardof425* 11-19-2010 11:21 AM

And Rozi at -4 has the worst plus/minus on the team. the only other d-man with a minus is Eminger at -1. He's having a great year; yeah right. Top 4 D-man? not anymore.

Bardof425* 11-19-2010 11:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puckface NYR (Post 29045408)
Are you going to hijack every thread with your hatred for Rozy? You don't like the guy we get it, but theres a lot of positives to his game that no one else in the system or on the roster brings to the table right now.

Also, just to note....please break up your posts

This is a Rozi/Boyle post. why are you so defensive? I would like to see him replaced with a younger d-man with actual potential. Why take it as a negative?

Puckface NYR* 11-19-2010 11:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bardof425 (Post 29045437)
And Rozi at -4 has the worst plus/minus on the team. the only other d-man with a minus is Eminger at -1. He's having a great year; yeah right. Top 4 D-man? not anymore.

And who in your mind should take his spot.

Plus minus, imo means nothing, especially when its Rozy who has been up against the first lines of the other teams.

Bardof425* 11-19-2010 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puckface NYR (Post 29045469)
And who in your mind should take his spot.

Plus minus, imo means nothing, especially when its Rozy who has been up against the first lines of the other teams.

Let me first say that I do not see us as a contender. With that in mind, I would move Rozi (hopefully free up cap space in the deal), promote either McD, Valentenko or Kundratek and play Gilroy everyday to find out once and for all what he can do. Eminger and the newly promoted D-man would be used based on how they are playing and who were are playing.

to say Rozi is playing against the other team's top line isn't really true. If plus/minus doesn't mean anything why is it the first stat that is quoted come Norris time? And why have Girardi and Staal (who are really playing against the other team's top players) managed to be plus players?

You hit me for being hateful, which I'm not. I would ask you why are you so supportive of this guy? To say that plus/minus doesn't mean anything for a guy who generates nothing on the PP and isn't a great penalty killer seems silly to me.

This will be my last negative post on Rozi because as you said I've made my point and you get it.

offdacrossbar 11-19-2010 11:46 AM

i find all this rozy stuff rather amusing.

saves me alot of typing... :nod:

Puckface NYR* 11-19-2010 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bardof425 (Post 29045587)
Let me first say that I do not see us as a contender. With that in mind, I would move Rozi (hopefully free up cap space in the deal), promote either McD, Valentenko or Kundratek and play Gilroy everyday to find out once and for all what he can do. Eminger and the newly promoted D-man would be used based on how they are playing and who were are playing.

to say Rozi is playing against the other team's top line isn't really true. If plus/minus doesn't mean anything why is it the first stat that is quoted come Norris time? And why have Girardi and Staal (who are really playing against the other team's top players) managed to be plus players?

You hit me for being hateful, which I'm not. I would ask you why are you so supportive of this guy? To say that plus/minus doesn't mean anything for a guy who generates nothing on the PP and isn't a great penalty killer seems silly to me.

This will be my last negative post on Rozi because as you said I've made my point and you get it.

Girardi and Staal are not paired together when Rozy is in the lineup. Its Staal and Rozy often times, and they usually do play against the other teams top line.

Second, plus minus is rarely focused upon anymore at all and is definitely not the first stat looked at for Norris contenders. If that was the case then wouldn't Malik have been a contender for numerous years? And also Rozy, because his plus-minus was huge the seasons Jagr was hear. It's a completely misleading stat.

And the reason I am supportive is because Rozy has been one of our best d-men this season, if not the best. The only guy i would say has been better than him is Girardi.

As i said yesterday, regardless of what you think about us being contenders, the Rangers are a team that plays to win, because of management and impatient fans, therefore, we are not going to throw McD or Vtank into the lineup when we have an established d-man like Rozy

Bardof425* 11-19-2010 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puckface NYR (Post 29046081)
Girardi and Staal are not paired together when Rozy is in the lineup. Its Staal and Rozy often times, and they usually do play against the other teams top line.

Second, plus minus is rarely focused upon anymore at all and is definitely not the first stat looked at for Norris contenders. If that was the case then wouldn't Malik have been a contender for numerous years? And also Rozy, because his plus-minus was huge the seasons Jagr was hear. It's a completely misleading stat.

And the reason I am supportive is because Rozy has been one of our best d-men this season, if not the best. The only guy i would say has been better than him is Girardi.

As i said yesterday, regardless of what you think about us being contenders, the Rangers are a team that plays to win, because of management and impatient fans, therefore, we are not going to throw McD or Vtank into the lineup when we have an established d-man like Rozy

You say plus/minus is rarely focused on anymore and then use a five year old example. Pretty sure that Lidstrom's, Chara's et al plus/minus is a major contributor to their Norris trophies.

So, aside from your opinion that Rozi has played well what would you point to? has he scored any big goals or set up any important ones. I'm interested in what you value in a defenseman aside from logging minutes.

Bardof425* 11-19-2010 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puckface NYR (Post 29046081)
Girardi and Staal are not paired together when Rozy is in the lineup. Its Staal and Rozy often times, and they usually do play against the other teams top line.

Second, plus minus is rarely focused upon anymore at all and is definitely not the first stat looked at for Norris contenders. If that was the case then wouldn't Malik have been a contender for numerous years? And also Rozy, because his plus-minus was huge the seasons Jagr was hear. It's a completely misleading stat.

And the reason I am supportive is because Rozy has been one of our best d-men this season, if not the best. The only guy i would say has been better than him is Girardi.

As i said yesterday, regardless of what you think about us being contenders, the Rangers are a team that plays to win, because of management and impatient fans, therefore, we are not going to throw McD or Vtank into the lineup when we have an established d-man like Rozy

Also, Staal and Girardi play together when we face a top heavy team where there is one line that requires alot of attention like the Devils or San Jose or Washington. When we face Pittsburgh with two great centers, Torts breaks them up. Rozi plays with Staal by default because the other right handed d-man is a rookie not because he is a great option. The focus in our D is how do we get Staal and Girardi out against the opposition's best; not Rozi. You must see that.

Puckface NYR* 11-19-2010 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bardof425 (Post 29046238)
You say plus/minus is rarely focused on anymore and then use a five year old example. Pretty sure that Lidstrom's, Chara's et al plus/minus is a major contributor to their Norris trophies.

So, aside from your opinion that Rozi has played well what would you point to? has he scored any big goals or set up any important ones. I'm interested in what you value in a defenseman aside from logging minutes.


I point to a five year old example because if it wasn't releveant then, why would it be now?

I value a d-man, not on his ability to score goals (unless your a Leetch, Souray, Mike Green type) but on their ability to heck, play D?

Rozy is not Chris Pronger and i never expected him to be, I also expect around 30 points from him a season which he generally gets (barring last year). He has played physical on D this year (yes physical, if you havn't noticed this, than you havn't been watching) and he's been pretty good shut down and in the corners.

He's not the fastest or flashiest guy out there but hes very capable of what he's doing.

Rangers fans always need their whipping boy and apparently this is the guy for most of you.

Im done trying to change your mind. if you can't see through your biased hatred for him and just accept the fact that he's played well this year,. then i don't know what to tell you.

Bardof425* 11-19-2010 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Puckface NYR (Post 29046081)
we are not going to throw McD or Vtank into the lineup when we have an established d-man like Rozy

But if we trade Rozy, then we can give those guys a shot. Fans are impatient generally, but these days we see the light at the end of the tunnel and any move that makes sense to that 2 or 3 year plan will be acceptable. Plus, Ranger fans appreciate that Rozi logs the minutes but if him being traded helps us move forward I wouldn't expect that torches will be lit and marching will begin.

Fitzy 11-19-2010 12:15 PM

McDonagh and Vtank couldnt even beat out Gilroy, or Eminger this year. No way in hell they could beat out Rozsival

This guy has been one of our best for 5+ years. And we're better playing Gilroy right now? Lol. Hockey anaylsis failure.


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:22 PM.

vBulletin Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
HFBoards.com, A property of CraveOnline, a division of AtomicOnline LLC ©2009 CraveOnline Media, LLC. All Rights Reserved.