HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Thrown out last night, right or wrong? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=843439)

jdmef8vtec* 11-18-2010 05:49 PM

Thrown out last night, right or wrong?

I got a penalty last night for a trip no problem poked for the puck miseed hit is skate whipes out not a peep from me straight too the box. As the penalty ends i skate to centre as i seen my D just got the puck and their D wasnt paying attention, my buddy fires the puck hard on the left side get the puck backwards facing my own net at he left side face off circle before the blueline, in perfect possession i skate backwards into the O zone, as soon as the puck crossed the blueline after my feet ref blows the play offside before i could spin forward. I skate to the ref ask him if it was an accident or he really blew me offside, he said my feet crossed the line before the puck, i freak out on him asking him where he learnt the rules, is partner comes over and starts defending him. Guys on my team are telling me im wrong, some guys on other team are telling me im right, cause my understanding was if you have control of the puck you may enter the zone however you like as long as no one else puts you offside, the official rule reads as following. An attacking player's skates may precede the puck into the attacking zone provided he is in control of the puck and no other offside condition exists when the puck completely crosses the determining edge of the blue line., so after they kept telling me i was wrong i called them a few names and got thrown out, no one in the room could agree if i was right or wrong, but after reading the official definition i think im right, what do u guys think, im sure ive seen guys reach behind them to coral the puck in that same scenario.

blueberrydanish 11-18-2010 05:54 PM

Well...I know in the NHL you are right...and Ive done something similar in beer league and wasnt called. But its beer league, even if its in the rule dont count on them calling it right, and definitely dont go on and on to the point of yelling/cursin at the ref, that will def get you tossed no doubt. So the offside was prob a wrong call(from my knowledge), but the throwin you at part seems pretty legit.

jdmef8vtec* 11-18-2010 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by blueberrydanish (Post 29030819)
Well...I know in the NHL you are right...and Ive done something similar in beer league and wasnt called. But its beer league, even if its in the rule dont count on them calling it right, and definitively dont go on and on to the point of yelling/cursin at the ref, that will def get you tossed no doubt. So the offside was prob a wrong call(from my knowledge), but the throwin you at part seems pretty legit.

dont disagree but when he said play the game and let me worry about the rules and then have his partner back him pissed me right off cause those 2 guys are clowns always ruining our games, anyways i printed the whole offside rule sheet and put it in my hockey bag to hopefully show him next game.

Seth Lake 11-18-2010 06:10 PM

You were right on the rule, but you were wrong to abuse the official.

Everyone's human. People make mistakes. The ref erred when he ruled you offsides, but obviously his partner thought the same thing. You erred when you started calling them names and couldn't control your emotions.

I'd likely address it with the referee-in-chief at your rink to correct it for the future, but do so in a polite manner where you are discussing the situation with him and conversing about the definition in the rule book and not simply stating facts in a hostile manner.

blueberrydanish 11-18-2010 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmef8vtec (Post 29030987)
dont disagree but when he said play the game and let me worry about the rules and then have his partner back him pissed me right off cause those 2 guys are clowns always ruining our games, anyways i printed the whole offside rule sheet and put it in my hockey bag to hopefully show him next game.

Ya, but fact is its beer league. Ya, I poke fun and heckle our refs at times but I dont ever cross the line and yell at them in their face and curse them out.

You gotta realize bad calls will happen...watch the NHL, those are basically the best refs in the world and make bad calls all the time. Being a beer league ref BLOWS, Id never do it. You get yelled at constantly and ppl always give you ****, so anytime someone is hostile, the refs dont care cause its all the same thing to them. Refs pretty much never take their call back, so the whole yelling/pleading thing isnt helpful.

Try and maybe be friendly with the refs it will get you farther in the long run, especially cause you see the same refs constantly so they may even develop a friendly bias for YOU! =)

Just a little advice to help further avoid the situation

RobertKron 11-18-2010 06:32 PM

You're right on the rule, but getting yourself tossed over an offside call is pretty dumb.

ponder 11-18-2010 07:03 PM

You're right about the rule, but also a total tool for throwing a hissy fit an calling the refs names over a blown offside call in beer league. Ref was definitely justified in tossing you from the game.

FiveAndAGame 11-18-2010 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SLake (Post 29031026)
You were right on the rule, but you were wrong to abuse the official.

There is your answer.

jdmef8vtec* 11-18-2010 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FiveAndAGame (Post 29031944)
There is your answer.

i dont disagree with being thrown out, I said some awful things, im just upset they both thought hey were right, and ruined my chance to tie my buddy for point lead, instead he's now 3 ahead of me, you guys dont have to tell me im an ass for getting thrown out, and no one could agree on the rule even after the game.

kr580 11-18-2010 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmef8vtec (Post 29032640)
...and ruined my chance to tie my buddy for point lead, instead he's now 3 ahead of me

How do you go on living after that? Sounds like your life is ruined.

jdmef8vtec* 11-18-2010 08:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kr580 (Post 29032741)

im glad u understand..... its all about bragging rights my friend 2yr scoring champ, but im lucky to play with some quality players.

blueberrydanish 11-18-2010 09:03 PM

Can always sabotage his gear if you really want it that bad, just sayn

PDX Coyotes 11-19-2010 12:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kr580 (Post 29032741)

:laugh:

BTW, who says beer leagues have to follow all the NHL's rules? I know ours certainly doesn't.

Gino 14 11-19-2010 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmef8vtec (Post 29032640)
im just upset they both thought hey were right, and ruined my chance to tie my buddy for point lead

Just remember, you ruined your chance at the points lead, the refs didn't.

WickedWrister 11-19-2010 01:54 PM

Only an idiot argues with beer league ref's. They don't really give a **** about upholding the rules, and would rather throw you out than explain to you the situation.

jdmef8vtec* 11-19-2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gino 14 (Post 29048119)
Just remember, you ruined your chance at the points lead, the refs didn't.

thanks for all proving your points your all better human beings then me,like ive said 3 times now i wasnt questioning why I was thrown out, i would of thrown myself out for what i said.

kr580 11-19-2010 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdmef8vtec (Post 29049706)
thanks for all proving your points your all better human beings then me,like ive said 3 times now i wasnt questioning why I was thrown out, i would of thrown myself out for what i said.

The title of the thread is "Thrown out last night, right or wrong?" after all. Everyone is just saying "Right."

densetsu 11-19-2010 03:56 PM

What did you expect to happen? That the ref will change his mind, slide the puck into the offensive zone, and yell "GAME ON!"?

The ref made the call. Right or wrong, he made the call. Deal with it.

jdmef8vtec* 11-19-2010 04:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kr580 (Post 29049807)
The title of the thread is "Thrown out last night, right or wrong?" after all. Everyone is just saying "Right."

yeah i guess i get what your saying, but u cant write that much in the header.

DwightKSchrute 11-19-2010 04:47 PM

Next time you see that ref, pull a Steve Downie:sarcasm:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbgR7gJBGfk

jsykes 11-19-2010 04:50 PM

Which offside rules are you quoting? Because I know our beer league does not follow NHL rules, there are several different rules between USA Hockey and the NHL and our league even has its own rules that do not completely follow USA Hockey.

So he may have been completely right in his interpretation unless you know you're looking at the actual rules used by your league.

Maupin Fan 11-19-2010 05:03 PM

Yeah, you sounds like a moron and probably play F league if you are worrying about a scoring lead and chirping refs to the point where you get tossed in a mens league game.

Devil Dancer 11-19-2010 05:11 PM

The only thing the refs in my league seem to care about is going home early, so yelling at them is pretty pointless. All it does is waste their time and make them more likely to penalize my team.

Gino 14 11-19-2010 07:31 PM

Just as a clarification to the rules, if you happen to play by USAH rules:

Rule 626 Off-Sides
(a) Players of an attacking team may not precede the puck into
the Attacking Zone.
(Note) A player actually propelling and in possession and
control of the puck who shall cross the line ahead of the
puck shall not be considered “off-side.”

So, yes you were correct about the rules. So you were right, what did it really get you? Hopefully you learned another part of the rules, abuse of officials.

Crosbyfan 11-19-2010 07:56 PM

Was the ref claiming you weren't in control of the puck?

There is some room for interpretation if that was his reasoning.

If not he simply got the rule wrong or should have mentioned that the rule is different.

Anyway... 10 Hail Mary's, wear an Albatross around your neck in the next game, help a senior across a street, and then good luck with the scoring race.