HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The History of Hockey (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=126)
-   -   Martin St-Louis Hall of Fame? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=843672)

BenchBrawl 11-19-2010 10:10 AM

Martin St-Louis Hall of Fame?

Will he get in?

bester vaive 11-19-2010 10:33 AM

He's working on it. After last night's 5-assist game at Philly, his numbers are 275 goals, 431 assists for 706 points in 791 games. The 2004 season was his best, award-wise; 1st team All-Star, Art Ross Trophy, Lester B. Pearson Trophy (now named after Ted Lindsay), and the Hart Memorial Trophy. He also played for Team Canada in the 2006 Olympics. I'm too big a fan of his to objectively give an answer, but keep going MSL, you're the heart and soul of the TBL!

Franck 11-19-2010 11:21 AM

A few more PPG seasons and another good run in the playoffs and he's a lock.

seventieslord 11-19-2010 11:25 AM

It's becoming more likely every day.

God Bless Canada 11-19-2010 11:34 AM

I think he's a lot closer than you might think. He's a guy who, much like former teammate Dan Boyle, could be playing at a very high level until he's close to 40. I wouldn't be surprised if Marty St. Louis is still at, or close to, a point-per-game at age 38, 39 or even 40. He took the college route as opposed to major junior, and he didn't become an NHL regular until he was 25, so what I call his "hockey age" is lower than his actual age. He's had just the one lengthy playoff run, and just the one serious injury (a broken leg that curtailed his breakthrough year in 2001-02). Some guys are 30 going on 35; St. Louis is 35 going on 30.

I've been saying it for the last couple of seasons: he's the best playmaking winger in the game. Reality is that he's held that title for a lot longer than a couple of seasons. Starting with 2003-04, he's been No. 1 in assists among wingers three times, and second once. (There's a tie somewhere in there). He'll probably be top three in winger assists this season, too. Granted, most of the guys on the HHOF committee don't give a damn about that; they want to know how well he played, how valuable he was to his team. That's what happens when you get executives, coaches, players and on-ice officials on the HHOF committee. St. Louis himself couldn't tell you how many times he's been top three among wingers in assists, or how many times he's been top 10 or top 20 in scoring. He wouldn't give a damn about that, either, unless his agent brought it up at contract negotiation time.

But everyone in hockey has seen what Marty St. Louis has done with Steven Stamkos. That's not to say that Stamkos is a product of St. Louis; that would be erroneous and a slap in the face to a wonderfully talented player like Stamkos. But it has been a mutually beneficial on-ice relationship. They found instant chemistry. Over the last one-and-three quarter seasons, Stamkos has 89 goals.

St. Louis is one of the top offensive weapons in the game. He's become a real pass-first guy since being partnered with Stamkos. But if anything ever happened to Stamkos, and they needed St. Louis to focus on goal-scoring, St. Louis would re-establish himself as one of the top goal-scorers in the game. His speed, his creativity, his flair, his ability to overwhelm an opponent with goal-scoring or playmaking they're all elite. The only thing he lacks is size. He's five-foot-exaggerated. (He's probably five-foot-six). He's effective on the backcheck. He's an effective penalty killer and dangerous on the backcheck.

He's a borderline guy right now. A couple more elite seasons probably get him in. If he hits 1,000 points, he gets in. It wouldn't surprise me to see both 1,000 points, and a couple of elite seasons. You talk to executives, coaches, players, and ask them: if you could have a guy who is, year-in and year-out, among the best playmaking wingers in the game, who can burn an opponent as a goal-scorer, make those around him better, and provide more than just offence, would you take him? Everyone would say yes.

Infinite Vision* 11-19-2010 11:50 AM

Should be a lock after this season IMO.

vadim sharifijanov 11-19-2010 11:58 AM

i've brought up brian propp a few times in recent HHOF debates. i think a lot of us agree that propp is probably right on the cusp, very close to being a hall of famer, but not quite there. marty is a similar player, but obviously much more high end with the hart/ross, high offensive finishes, and cup.

assuming he finishes in the top 10 in assists and points this year and plays at a high level for at least another year before slowing down, i think he'll have enough high end accomplishments to overcome his late start and vault propp. this would be alfredsson territory, only making his case based on "peak(s)" as opposed to longevity and consistency?

Leaf Lander 11-19-2010 01:38 PM

talk to me in 5 yrs

I like him he's a dynamo lil guy

seventieslord 11-19-2010 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Leaf Lander (Post 29049047)
talk to me in 5 yrs

I like him he's a dynamo lil guy

yeah, I know, he hasn't built up enough career points for you yet.

Leaf Lander 11-19-2010 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seventieslord (Post 29049448)
yeah, I know, he hasn't built up enough career points for you yet.

imo he hasn't played enough or been key player in many playoff runs so talk to me in a few yrs when tampa should start to make some noise in the playoffs starting with this yr!

More career points will also help his cause;)

BraveCanadian 11-19-2010 02:05 PM

He doesn't seem to show many signs of slowing down yet so I think he has enough time to pad up those stats a bit and make it.

Very talented guy too bad he got bounced around so much and got started so late because of his size.

I hope he and Stamkos stay playing together for a few more years at least.. they are good for each other.

Big Phil 11-19-2010 03:22 PM

I think he'll be in. I wish I could dig up some posts back in 2007 or 2008 when I claimed St. Louis would be a HHOFer (based on projection) and I was literally laughed at with people claiming he didn't have a chance.

One thing is certain though, he needs postseason success, more of it. He was splendid in 2004 but has little outside of that one run. We'll see what Tampa is made of this year but some playoff pedigree will help his cause. Then again, he's quietly creeping up to 1,000 points in maybe the next three seasons. It's getting harder and harder to assume he'll stay out.

Unaffiliated 11-19-2010 05:15 PM

yus!

Derick* 11-19-2010 09:47 PM

I think so. He was borderline before, now that he's becoming a big part of their resurgence he's nearly a lock. No Art Ross winner has ever not made it iirc. Not only does he have that, but a Hart, key part of a cup win, and now lighting it up with Stammer...

Faidh ar Rud Eigin 11-19-2010 09:52 PM

If he plays till 40 and doesn't dip below 70 points I'd say hes a lock, and first ballot too.

arrbez 11-19-2010 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Errettung (Post 29060063)
If he plays till 40 and doesn't dip below 70 points I'd say hes a lock, and first ballot too.

Yup, he'll have over 1,000 points if he averages 70 over the next 5 years

Hardyvan123 11-19-2010 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cognition (Post 29059953)
I think so. He was borderline before, now that he's becoming a big part of their resurgence he's nearly a lock. No Art Ross winner has ever not made it iirc. Not only does he have that, but a Hart, key part of a cup win, and now lighting it up with Stammer...

the hart and Cup are the key as I have no idea on how voters are going to treat the missed 04-05 season which really would help him as his career peak has been rather short.

I thought that he might have been on the outside looking in but the chemistry with Stamkos and a possible 4 more years of it will get him in at the end of the day IMO.

nik jr 11-19-2010 10:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cognition (Post 29059953)

herb cain

Hardyvan123 11-19-2010 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nik jr (Post 29060843)
herb cain

I get your point but St. Louis has been a lot better than Cain ever was.

Loto68 11-19-2010 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 (Post 29061207)

He also won it during the war era.

finchster 11-19-2010 11:03 PM

I think St Louis is a lock and is making a case to be a first ballot HOFer IMO.

The guy has the awards; Hart, Art Ross, Cup and three all start team selections, plus he is racking up some nice point totals late in his career to complement that. If he continues his play this year, he could possibly be a first team all star on the wing, I don’t think any four time all stars have not made it to the HHOF.

Minus one good run we haven’t had a chance to see much of St Louis in the playoffs, but his totals in his playoff totals are good, averaging slightly above a point per game and averaging more goals than in the regular season. I also believe his defensive game is under rated, St Louis can always be counted on to take a regular penalty killing shift in Tampa Bay something I believe doesn’t get noticed much.

Right now he is a lock, but if St Louis has 2-3 elite level seasons left, he could be a first ballot HHOFer.

finchster 11-19-2010 11:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hardyvan123 (Post 29061207)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loto68 (Post 29061476)
He also won it during the war era.

Herb Cain won the scoring title and was only a second team all star at left wing that year. He was way down the Hart Trophy voting as well. Bill Cowley, his team mate was second in Hart voting that year. he wasn't ever looked at as being the best player on his team at any point, it is very different.

Marty has a Hart, everyone who has won that has went to the HHOF.

Hawkey Town 18 11-19-2010 11:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finchster (Post 29061876)
Herb Cain won the scoring title and was only a second team all star at left wing that year. He was way down the Hart Trophy voting as well. Bill Cowley, his team mate was second in Hart voting that year. he wasn't ever looked at as being the best player on his team at any point, it is very different.

Marty has a Hart, everyone who has won that has went to the HHOF.

At this point, it's a pretty safe bet to say that Hart winner Jose Theodore will not get into the HHOF.

finchster 11-19-2010 11:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JohnnyD (Post 29062603)
At this point, it's a pretty safe bet to say that Hart winner Jose Theodore will not get into the HHOF.

Oh yeah that's right

Hawkey Town 18 11-19-2010 11:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by finchster (Post 29062628)
Oh yeah that's right

Another thread just reminded me that Al Rollins, the winner of the 1954 Hart, is also not in the HHOF

Edit: Tom Anderson, the 1942 winner, is also not in