HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Montreal Canadiens (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   What were your thoughts of the Roy incident? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=843846)

JRB86 11-19-2010 05:44 PM

What were your thoughts of the Roy incident?

Going back some years here, but just curious as you what your feelings were on the Patrick Roy incident?

I am speaking of the game against Detroit in which they scored 9 goals on him.

I remember watching it and wondering why in the world they wouldn't pull him after the first few, was there bad blood between him and the coach at the time? I remember reading something where Roy said the coach kept him in the humiliate him.

I have to wonder how many good runs at the cup they would have had if they had never had to trade Roy.

Hackett 11-19-2010 06:05 PM

In those days, it got to the point where he was bigger than the team. I dont think he was very happy with the firing of Jacques Demers and he definitely wasn't happy with the new management, and he wanted to express himself and be heard too.

Looking back, it seems as though roy saw that this team was about to head downhill under the new regime, and the game with detroit was the final straw of accumulating frustrations.

It turned out that roy was right. For the most part, the team entered the dark ages under the houle regime (by montreal standards), with very questionable trades and free agent signings. It also turned out that the molsons were not keeping up with the escalating salaries as the cdn dollar sunk.

I was a very big Roy fan, and I also questioned myself whether I was a bigger habs fan or a Roy fan. After he got traded, I realized that I was a bigger habs fan, but there has not been a trade ever since that made me sadder than this one. I was always hoping he would change his mind and stay, but he wouldnt have had 2 additional cups in his career either.

HabsHockey 11-19-2010 06:08 PM

Roy was right

coolasprICE 11-19-2010 06:10 PM

my thoughts?

Mario Tremblay + Houle + Corey = **** eating ****ing losers

dralaf 11-19-2010 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by coolasprICE (Post 29053498)
my thoughts?

Mario Tremblay + Houle + Corey = **** eating ****ing losers

exactly... the name "Corey" should be banned from the Habs' history...

Jafar 11-19-2010 06:17 PM

THIS was the darkest day in habs history.

GordonGraham 11-19-2010 06:20 PM

Corey decided to keep his egomanicac rookie coach over his egomaniac all star player

Great move! :)

loudi94 11-19-2010 06:29 PM

There would have been no cup runs had Roy stayed. The fact is new management sucked and they would have been perennial first round losers and Roy probably would have left as UFA soon after. My biggest beef with the whole thing was that it was so publicly embarrassing for the organization and of course the trade was horrible. I know TBo had promise but he was set up to fail. The return should have been a bonafide starter and a top forward. They got neither and lost Keane to boot. Bad memories all around.

PK76 11-19-2010 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loudi94 (Post 29053880)
There would have been no cup runs had Roy stayed. The fact is new management sucked and they would have been perennial first round losers and Roy probably would have left as UFA soon after.

That's kinda what I'm thinking but since we'll never be sure I'll never forget that night and will hate Tremblay forever because of it.

dralaf 11-19-2010 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GordonGraham (Post 29053694)
Corey decided to keep his egomanicac rookie coach over his egomaniac all star player

Great move! :)

I was thinking more along the lines of the "Coldshowergate"...

Like Patrick Roy said... " I was watching the news on RDS. When I saw the trio (Peanut, Le Beluet and the RoadRunner) appear on the tv screen, I had to go take a cold shower to be sure I was really awake..."

That sums it up... :handclap:

JayBee* 11-19-2010 06:39 PM

I'm still disgusted.

giovannicanella 11-19-2010 07:57 PM

Quote:

THIS was the darkest day in habs history.
Absolutely true, it was the appex of the definition of incompetence, coaching, management, administration and crisis management.

The Roy incident was a complete and utter shambolic debacle of gargantuan inconceivable proportions.

Trade away one of the best goalies in the history of hockey for bit parts and the final worst insult, keep praising and standing by the gigantic incompetence that was personified and clearly demonstrated in Houle, Corey and Tremblay.

Worst trade ever for Habs, perhaps one of the most lopsided in hockey and one of the best trades ever in Hockey from Colorado's perspective

Epic fail if I ever saw one. FUBAR. FML moment for all habs fans at the time.

Crimson Skorpion 11-19-2010 08:13 PM

The decision that the organization made, in that time, was wrong.

With that said, what's in the past should and will stay there.

coolasprICE 11-19-2010 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrimsonSkorpion (Post 29056405)
The decision that the organization made, in that time, was wrong.

The decision that the organization made, was wrong, and when it was made is irrelevant. Wrong decision is wrong decision.

Quote:

With that said, what's in the past should and will stay there.
what are you trying to imply here?

smon 11-19-2010 09:22 PM

It was complete and utter ********, and it coincided with me following the NHL level hockey less for a few seasons.

Honestly, the trade of Roy was terrible but we could have gotten over it if the return wasn't just so bad.

Le Gros Bill 11-19-2010 09:29 PM

Three egos collided over the course of those three days - Roy's, Tremblay's and Corey's.

All were to blame.

Even the jeering fans that night were to blame.

No one was right - everyone in Montreal lost.

Dogbert* 11-19-2010 09:29 PM

Patrick Roy should never have played for anyone else. It's like Bobby Orr leaving the Bruins or Wayne Gretzky leaving Edmonton - except instead of injuries and ownership greed, Roy was traded because of plain old stupidity. We still haven't recovered fully.

dralaf 11-19-2010 10:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Le Gros Bill (Post 29059432)
Three egos collided over the course of those three days - Roy's, Tremblay's and Corey's.

All were to blame.

Even the jeering fans that night were to blame.

No one was right - everyone in Montreal lost.

I respect your point of view, but in my mind, the only one accountable for that fiasco and the following decade of misery is Ronald Corey.

He gave the reins of one of the greatest sport franchise in history to a "DeLaBonneBière" salesman, who turned around and hired a "joueurnaliste" as a head coach who then chose a Roller Hockey head coach as an assistant !

Even Rejean Tremblay couldn't have imagined such a ****ed up scenario...
:shakehead

Darth Joker 11-19-2010 10:49 PM

I have to disagree with people who said that the Habs of that era would not have been cup contenders with Roy.

The Habs of that era had Pierre Turgeon, Mark Recchi, Vinny Damphousse, an up-and-coming young Saku Koivu, Mike Keane, Valeri Bure, Brian Savage back when he could pot 20 or more goals a season, and basically a very nice forward corps, probably better than the one that we had when we won the Cup in 93. They also had Vladimir Malakhov (basically a poor man's Andrei Markov) on defense, along with guys like Lyle Odelein and Patrice Brisebois (good in a 3rd or 4th D role at the time).

With Roy in net, this team could have legitimately won another Cup or two. They weren't a favorite, but on paper they were just as good as (if not better than) the 93 team. With an impact defenseman and/or power forward added, they'd be a legit Stanely Cup contender.

But the problem wasn't just deciding to trade Patrick Roy; it was the failure to get anything even approaching fair value for him. A netminder of Roy's caliber should have netted the Habs a real impact player. Instead, we got spare parts and a young, unproven netminder that never did anything for us.

If Houle couldn't get a better return for Roy than the Colorado package, then he should have done everything in his power to placate Roy and keep him in Montreal - up to and including firing Tremblay. I can understand a team wanting to favor a brand new coach over a player in a dispute between the two; you give in to the player, and you risk letting the inmates run the insane asylum. But Roy wasn't just any player; if you can't net one of the leagues top 40 players for him, then you really shouldn't trade him.

Woland 11-19-2010 10:53 PM

I just did not think it was possible ....and I think everyone was in shock the day the trade was announced. I actually cried that day. it was like part of the heart and soul of the organization had been thrown away. Since I'm born in 1984, Pat Roy had always been the hero I looked up to , the star I knew we had and in who we had faith. Then , he was gone ....sad sad day

snakeye 11-19-2010 11:01 PM

My thought is the following:

I'm scarred for life because of the incident. Seriously, try explaining to an 11 year old that Patrick Roy is gone and your team is ****ed for the next decade. :(

Dogbert* 11-19-2010 11:21 PM

... And they HAD to do the deal on December 6, which was a bad enough date for Montrealers as it was.

FF de Mars 11-20-2010 12:43 AM

My state of mind at the time was : if Houle gets us Owen Nolan or Teemu Selanne, I'm all right with it. Star for star, not Roy + Keane for a 1st rounder and two inconsistent and soft second liners...

Redux91 11-20-2010 02:22 AM

I was 9 years old

i was informed that my hero and idol and everything that "I" knew about the montreal canadiens and had any bit of history associated with the franchise of such magnitude..had been left out to dry in game, didnt take it well, and was subsequently traded for a bag of peanuts..

a small part of hockey died for me that day my friends.... i didnt follow the canadiens again until 7 years later

i will never forgive mario tremblay and ronald corey for that until the day i die.

ECWHSWI 11-20-2010 03:55 AM

1st mistake : Corey hiring Houle and co

2nd mistake : by the rookie coach, trying to humiliate and/or "break" the guy that will deliver good enough performances each game for you to have a long career as a coach.

While we can say all had to share the blame, at the end of the day the one saving the other two their job was Roy. So he should have been the one who stayed. The other two ? bye bye!