HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   skate tightness (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=844976)

gustavssonForVezina 11-22-2010 11:06 PM

skate tightness

the front of my left foot goes sort of numb if i tie my skate too tight (not even that tight). both feet hurt if the skates are too tight.

is it okay to keep my skate strings pretty loose? like shoe loose.

after I did that it felt a lot better, and there was no pain.

BadHammy* 11-22-2010 11:16 PM

If it feels better and doesn't hurt your skating, then yeah, you can do it. A lot of professionals wear loose skates, as do people who have very wide feet or foot problems (me). Just don't let them get too loose and make sure to retie them frequently.

kr580 11-22-2010 11:59 PM

I usually tie my skates fairly loose as I have wide feet and they cramp up easily. It works fine for me. Just be sure your ankles can handle it and make sure you check up on the tightness. As DonG said they do loosen up and negatively affect my skating after awhile.

No reason not to loosen them up if it helps your comfort.

izzy3 11-23-2010 02:07 AM

same here.

i've wide feet, even in my reeboks i do not tie the footbed part snug. it's actually so loose, that one of my teammates did not believe i skate like that.

with reebok's skatelock i can tie it real good over the ankles, and have a comfy skate, that locks my heels in place.

ponder 11-23-2010 03:52 AM

I have always gone a bit on the loose side through most of the boot (not truly loose, just not super tight), then super tight on the last 2-3 eyelets. Works well for me, I don't feel like there much (if any) of a performance drop, and it completely eliminates all foot cramping.

noobman 11-23-2010 05:36 AM

It's fine as long as, once you're done, your heel is securely locked into the back of the boot. The boot shouldn't wobble too much from left to right either. I like my boot nice and tight at the toes, and then again just before the ankle. In the middle it's snug, not tight.

Pierre Gotye 11-23-2010 07:40 AM

When you tighten your skates you want your toe-box area to be a bit loose(a bit below snug).

As your laces get closer to your in-step they should get tighter. They should be tightest around your in-step, and snug around your ankles.

If you get them as tight as you can the entire way, you will have circulation problems because your feet can't breathe.

Tightening the laces right for me at least pretty much determines how good of a skater I'll be that night. Too tight and I'll have problems, too loose, and I'll be a bumbly skater.

Give yourself a few extra minutes when you arrive at the rink to make sure you get a good lace-up. I've found it's the key with all your pads.

Teppo 11-23-2010 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by izzy3 (Post 29126437)
same here.

i've wide feet, even in my reeboks i do not tie the footbed part snug. it's actually so loose, that one of my teammates did not believe i skate like that.

with reebok's skatelock i can tie it real good over the ankles, and have a comfy skate, that locks my heels in place.

Gotta love those skatelocks - such a simple little thing. I could not have another pair of skates that did not have skatelocks.