HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Surprise Surprise... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=845049)

Loffen 11-23-2010 04:51 AM

Surprise Surprise...

Callahan is leading the league with 91 hits. Girardi tops the league with 68 stinging blocked shots.

Heart and soul right there. Keep it up fellas!

chosen 11-23-2010 06:48 AM

Pay no attention to the fact that the Rangers statistician is, shall we say, enthusiastic. This does not take away from the games being played by Callahan and Girardi, but the stats are a tad ridiculous and have been for a while.

If the league is now in charge of these stats, I take back what I have just written, but I don't know that to be the case.

Sockosensei 11-23-2010 06:57 AM

Say what you will about the statisticians, Callahan really hits anything that moves. I don't think it's an error that he's right up there.
Does anyone have a home-away breakdown on hits and blocked shots? That might be a better way of gauging this.

Declan 11-23-2010 07:33 AM

I just know that I have Cally for my fantasy team and our league counts hits. One period I purposefully wanted to see how accurate the stats were, I counted 6 Callahan hits in the 1st period of the game (2 monsters on one shift), meanwhile he was credited with 0 hits for the 1st period.

Hits & blocked shots have always been hit or miss (no pun intended) with the statisticians IMO

Balej20* 11-23-2010 08:39 AM

Shots on goal are determined by the arena's stat guy as well. Does that mean we shouldn't pay attention to that stat too?

I Am Chariot 11-23-2010 08:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loffen (Post 29127285)
Callahan is leading the league with 91 hits. Girardi tops the league with 68 stinging blocked shots.

Heart and soul right there. Keep it up fellas!

and Dubi.... among the leaders in goals... currently in the top 10

:)

mullichicken25 11-23-2010 09:46 AM

even if the exact # of the hits is off...who cares?

the moral of the story is that callahan is a bad ass mother ****er and hits everything that moves

i could care less if hes credited with 91 but its really 87

he's an animal

Mr Atoz 11-23-2010 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chosen (Post 29127611)
Pay no attention to the fact that the Rangers statistician is, shall we say, enthusiastic.

Can you back that up?

msv957 11-23-2010 09:58 AM

If Girardi keeps on playing like this he can be a Norris Trophy candidate by the end of the year!

He leads the NHL in blocked shots, physical shut down defender, good plus/minus and is producing a good amount of points.

Of course.. this is not going to happen as there is tons of games left in the season... but I just wanted to give major kudos to Girardi right now,

WhipNash27 11-23-2010 10:02 AM

and I remember when everyone wanted Girardi shipped out of town last season...

OverTheCap 11-23-2010 10:14 AM

Quote:

Pay no attention to the fact that the Rangers statistician is, shall we say, enthusiastic. This does not take away from the games being played by Callahan and Girardi, but the stats are a tad ridiculous and have been for a while.

If the league is now in charge of these stats, I take back what I have just written, but I don't know that to be the case.

I was just going to say this. The Rangers statistician tends to be a bit liberal compared to other statisticians around the league. Still impressive for Callahan and Girardi nonetheless, but I can't help but think that their stats may be a bit inflated.

Right now, the Rangers have 430 hits at home and 226 on the road. Yes, they have played 2 less games on the road, but that doesn't account for such a large discrepancy. Last season, the same thing happened. 1293 hits at home, 1037 on the road. Are the Rangers really so much more aggressive at home to account for a 256 hit differential? I don't think so.

Florida Ranger 11-23-2010 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OverTheCap (Post 29129469)
Right now, the Rangers have 430 hits at home and 226 on the road. Yes, they have played 2 less games on the road, but that doesn't account for such a large discrepancy. Last season, the same thing happened. 1293 hits at home, 1037 on the road. Are the Rangers really so much more aggressive at home to account for a 256 hit differential? I don't think so.

Maybe that's why they suck at home. They get way too aggressive forcing themselves out of position and they just can't get a grip on things after that. I dunno, just a thought... Don't think it's all true... Just saying.

Boom Boom Geoffrion 11-23-2010 10:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DubiSnacks17 (Post 29129297)
and I remember when everyone wanted Girardi shipped out of town last season...

I remember the 9 guys out of the 1300 that weren't burying Girardi after that game. ;)

allstar3970 11-23-2010 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balej20 (Post 29128339)
Shots on goal are determined by the arena's stat guy as well. Does that mean we shouldn't pay attention to that stat too?

I think hits/blocks are a little more subjective.

Slightly inflated or not, both of these pass the logic test for those who watch the games: Callahan hits anything near him, and Girardi has been like a magnet with shots and passes he's blocking/deflecting/intercepting

Pizza 11-23-2010 10:56 AM

Quote:

Chosen, you are a classic cynic brother.

That's a nod in your direction not a slap.

The buckets of cold water you deliver often bring a grin to my face.

Callahan, by the way has more guts than a slaughter house.

vipernsx 11-23-2010 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sockosensei (Post 29127649)
Say what you will about the statisticians, Callahan really hits anything that moves. I don't think it's an error that he's right up there.
Does anyone have a home-away breakdown on hits and blocked shots? That might be a better way of gauging this.

Ryan Callahan Stat Splits
Hits - 91
home - 61
Away - 30
http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/...I76p9FA.NivLYF

Dan Girardi
Blks - 68
Home - 36
Away - 32

http://sports.yahoo.com/nhl/players/...I76p9FA.NivLYF

I guess blocks are a lot less subjective.

McRanger 11-23-2010 11:35 AM

Home Blocked Shots per game: ~17
Road Blocked Shots per game: ~18

Home Hits per game: ~36
Road Hits per game: ~23

Unless this is a league wide conspiracy, the blocked shots stat is 100% legit. The Ranger game with the most blocked shots this season came on the road.

You can make an argument against hits I guess. You figure teams are more physical at home though, so who knows. Callahan certainly seems to throw a hit on almost every one of his shifts.

Ail 11-23-2010 11:44 AM

They had Callahan chalked up for a monster 11 hits last night. That was more than the guys who played on my fantasy squad had combined.

I tried trading for him in this league, but the ******* won't give him up. :help:

ogie 11-23-2010 11:45 AM

Callahan leads all forwards in blocked shots as well.

HVPOLARBEARS19 11-23-2010 01:10 PM

Dan Girardi has impressed more than anyone else on the team from last year until now. Last year I was saying we should just dump him...I now take that back completely. He is extremely solid back there, and I love how willing he is to do the dirty business.

I've been saying it for a while now but we suddenly have a team that is very likable, and I'm really liking the toughness, something we haven't had in years.

ogie 11-23-2010 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HVPOLARBEARS19 (Post 29132514)
Dan Girardi has impressed more than anyone else on the team from last year until now.

Brian Boyle leers at you angrily.

SomE 11-23-2010 03:50 PM

If Girardi played on a canadian team he would get Norris votes.

BlueshirtBlitz 11-23-2010 04:20 PM

I don't think Girardi will be a Norris candidate, but I think he will continue to be a defenseman in the...dare I say...Michal Roszival mold. Great all around game without really excelling at one over the other. If he can keep it up, Girardi needs to be a permanent fixture on our top 4.

nyr2k2 11-23-2010 05:03 PM

Knowing how many shots Danny blocks makes this stat even more impressive--he hasn't missed a single game in four years.

msv957 11-23-2010 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nyr2k2 (Post 29136388)
Knowing how many shots Danny blocks makes this stat even more impressive--he hasn't missed a single game in four years.

Oh man... I hope you did not jinx him... Just kidding..

Good point.. For all the blocked shots and physical play it is amazing that Girardi has not missed a game in 4 years.. wow..