HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Nashville Predators (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Brian Rolston? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=84509)

barrytrotzsneck 06-17-2004 01:21 AM

Brian Rolston?

He's likely going to be UFA...and is a little cheaper than Arnott. I think he'd fit in pretty well...thoughts?

WuRtZLeSs 06-17-2004 01:33 AM

Well, he makes roughly $3,175,000 (from NHLPA.com), so I'm not necessarily sure he'll get a real solid look. He'll probably sign from anywhere from there to 2+ mill .. I don't think he'd take such a drastic cut unless he were to go someplace like Colorado or Detroit.

But all that aside, he'd certainly be a nice player - he's an effective defensive center and would likely excel in Trotz's system and can chip in some offense occasionally. Plus he's got size, he'd certainly be the exact kind of player the Predators would be looking for.

hillbilly 06-17-2004 02:32 AM

I wish the preds would go after Wiemer or Rolston, either one would be fine with me, though I think Wiemer would be the cheaper option

crossxcheck 06-17-2004 07:22 AM

I'm all for Rolston. Also, here are a few others I see that are FA's (Guys, bear in mind there are a few of these guys that I don't know a whole lot about. I am just listing some to see what you guys think.)

What about Handzus (assuming the flyers don't re-sign him)? Great size, decent faceoff guy, not bad offense, and he only makes $1.5m. Do you guys like him?

Chris Gratton? Good size, ok offense, and excellent faceoff man. but I've never heard good things about him. Makes $2.2m

Belanger? He's not quite as big nor is he the offensive force that handzus is, but he is a good faceoff guy and would make a nice 3rd liner. He makes a measley $750,000.

Marc Chouinard? Big, not great offense, and great at faceoffs. Makes $400,000

Kevyn Adams? ok size, eh offense, good faceoff guy. Makes $700,000

Jason Krog? Not very big, not very offensive, but excellent faceoff guy. Makes $550,000

SmokeyClause 06-17-2004 11:18 AM

I'd love to splurg and nab Rolston. He's just about a legit 20-30 guy who would make a nice second line center. He can fly too, has a really nice shot, and plays the PK very well.

Enoch 06-17-2004 03:07 PM

I still think the Wild will resign Weimer. Gratton is an RFA and I doubt PL does not resign him.......considering whta he gave up to get him. Handzus, I seriously doubt, is going anywhere as well. Clarke covets big men.....(don't take that the wrong way ;) ).

Anyways, Roloston/Arnott/Conroy would all be excellent fits. Brian is used to playing a second/third fiddle role, and he could step right into our rotating lines.....He excelled in Boston in this very role (He was absolutely on fire last year....) One thing that shouldbe pointed out is that his salary was awarded by arbitration......so I see him getting about the same/or less if he hits the UFA market. Arnott I still see as a guy who could easily put up 60 points, and Conroy......well we all saw what his game was about in the playoffs. He could do the dirty work for Sullivan ;).

I saw a post on the TR board about Mike Ricci possibly hitting the market. I would give him a long look as well. He can score, at times. Lets not forget that in 2002 he was a key component to probably the best line in the league.z

You all probably know my thoughts on Krog. I'd love to trade for him, simply because, he is exactly what we need. A center that is defensively responsible, will hit about 10/10 a year, and is excellent at faceoffs. Not to mention that he is cheap, and has decent speed. I think he would fit in perfectly as a 3rd/4th line center who took key faceoffs for us at crunch time or on the PK.

crossxcheck 06-17-2004 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch
I still think the Wild will resign Weimer. Gratton is an RFA and I doubt PL does not resign him.......considering whta he gave up to get him. Handzus, I seriously doubt, is going anywhere as well. Clarke covets big men.....(don't take that the wrong way ;) ).

Anyways, Roloston/Arnott/Conroy would all be excellent fits. Brian is used to playing a second/third fiddle role, and he could step right into our rotating lines.....He excelled in Boston in this very role (He was absolutely on fire last year....) One thing that shouldbe pointed out is that his salary was awarded by arbitration......so I see him getting about the same/or less if he hits the UFA market. Arnott I still see as a guy who could easily put up 60 points, and Conroy......well we all saw what his game was about in the playoffs. He could do the dirty work for Sullivan ;).

I saw a post on the TR board about Mike Ricci possibly hitting the market. I would give him a long look as well. He can score, at times. Lets not forget that in 2002 he was a key component to probably the best line in the league.z

You all probably know my thoughts on Krog. I'd love to trade for him, simply because, he is exactly what we need. A center that is defensively responsible, will hit about 10/10 a year, and is excellent at faceoffs. Not to mention that he is cheap, and has decent speed. I think he would fit in perfectly as a 3rd/4th line center who took key faceoffs for us at crunch time or on the PK.

Then why don't we sign both Rolston and Krog and dump Zholtok and Arkhipov. :lol

I an all Honesty though my wish list probably goes as follows:

Rolston
Conroy
Arnott
Handzus
Krog
Belanger

And wouldn't it be nice if we had the $$$ to snag zhamnov.

Joe T Choker 06-17-2004 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crossxcheck
Then why don't we sign both Rolston and Krog and dump Zholtok and Arkhipov. :lol

I an all Honesty though my wish list probably goes as follows:

Rolston
Conroy
Arnott
Handzus
Krog
Belanger

And wouldn't it be nice if we had the $$$ to snag zhamnov.

My wish list goes like this:

Arnott - to play between Hartnell and Hall
Conroy or Krog - to play between Walker and Sullivan

that would mean Legwand would center Erat and Orszagh

but we probably won't get both or possibly any of those players...in that case re-sign Zholtok and go after either Arnott or Conroy

barrytrotzsneck 06-17-2004 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Seven_Nation_Army
My wish list goes like this:

Arnott - to play between Hartnell and Hall
Conroy or Krog - to play between Walker and Sullivan

that would mean Legwand would center Erat and Orszagh

but we probably won't get both or possibly any of those players...in that case re-sign Zholtok and go after either Arnott or Conroy

krog on the first line?

Joe T Choker 06-17-2004 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nomorekids
krog on the first line?

no...Krog would then center Orszagh and Erat...and Legwand back on the first line

predhead1 06-17-2004 09:21 PM

OT: crossxcheck, I love your new avatar. That show is awesome.

Drury77 06-17-2004 09:33 PM

Rolston did not have a good season with the Bruins last year. His defensive prowess disappeared, not sure why, but it did, and his goal production wasn't what it coulda been.

He does have a great shot, and has tremendous speed, and he could help the Preds, but I think he's overrated a bit. Maybe that comes from watching all the B's games, and seeing what he does and doesn't do, but just my opinion.

Radulov for Czar* 06-22-2004 11:58 PM

I think Rolston would fit in here, just not as much as Arnott.

crossxcheck 06-23-2004 07:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by predhead1
OT: crossxcheck, I love your new avatar. That show is awesome.

Yes, I love the young ones (and bottom). I'm a sucker for british comedy. Ever seen "the office"?

Basher 06-23-2004 05:02 PM

british comedy...i didn't know those words could be used in the same sentence.

WuRtZLeSs 06-24-2004 07:54 AM

I've read on the Senators board that Bonk won't be qualified. He's been mentioned here and there as a center whom Preds fans would like to see added. Now it's most likely a possibility.

SmokeyClause 06-24-2004 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WuRtZLeSs
I've read on the Senators board that Bonk won't be qualified. He's been mentioned here and there as a center whom Preds fans would like to see added. Now it's most likely a possibility.

I would take Bonk, but not at his current 3.5 million price tag. He's coming off a bad year (1st time in five years he's scored under 50 pts) so I would only sign him around 2 million max. We just don't have the budget to add him at more than 2/2.5. And I don't feel he's going to be worth 3.5 or so in any future CBA.

In a perfect world, we could dump Johnson, Zholtok, and Arkhipov. That would clear up around 4 million dollars in payroll. Sign both Bonk and Rolston for 2.5 million a piece. With the impending loss of York, we might actually have a similar payroll next year in this circumstance. And it would give us 3 centers to try out on the first line. Bonk, Roston, and Legwand are all well-sized with good to great wheels. It would give us scoring pop from center in all 3 lines. The only problem is Rolston, Bonk, and Legwand won faceoffs last year 51%, 45%, and 45% of the time respectively. We'd lose that major facet.

triggrman 06-24-2004 08:28 AM

Bonk would be a really good center for us.

crossxcheck 06-24-2004 08:59 AM

Johnson's career FO% = 53%

Arkhipov's career FO% = 45%

Zholtok's career FO% = 48%

So really the only good FO guy we could lose is Johnson. I'd take Bonk/Rolston plus a defensively sound, good faceoff guy a la jason krog (his career FO% is 59%) or eric belanger. Then you have a #1/#2 center in bonk/rolston and a #3/#4 center and PK guy in krog/belanger. :dunno:

In all honesty though does anyone else here have a feeling that Poile is going to make another "big" move and sign/trade for a good talent?? I sure do. Maybe it's just wishful thinking.

crossxcheck 06-24-2004 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basher
british comedy...i didn't know those words could be used in the same sentence.

You either get british comedy or you don't. It's just not what we as Americans are used to. :dunno:

Bruin_Ron 06-25-2004 03:45 PM

... and he disappears in the playoffs. He's a solid two-way player and great on specialty teams, but doesn't get the job done in the playoffs.

Enoch 06-25-2004 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by crossxcheck
Johnson's career FO% = 53%

Arkhipov's career FO% = 45%

Zholtok's career FO% = 48%

So really the only good FO guy we could lose is Johnson. I'd take Bonk/Rolston plus a defensively sound, good faceoff guy a la jason krog (his career FO% is 59%) or eric belanger. Then you have a #1/#2 center in bonk/rolston and a #3/#4 center and PK guy in krog/belanger. :dunno:

In all honesty though does anyone else here have a feeling that Poile is going to make another "big" move and sign/trade for a good talent?? I sure do. Maybe it's just wishful thinking.

I think your correct. I think David has waited for us to reach a point, through drafting, where we are a playoff contending team. Now that we are.....we can improve our team on the ice, using the excess prospect assets. Lets face it, we have TONS of really good prospects, and we just will not be able to ice all of them.

Good analysis on the center position. I couldn't agree more. A thrid line center that can win faceoffs can dramatically help your team. Just check out the Avs of last year.....their PK was 3rd in the league before Nikolishin went down with injury. It ended up ranked mid-pack with the team going on a huge skid to finish the season. Another example would be the Ducks of 2003. There faceoff prescense allowed them to control puck possesion in key situations....i.e. those PP goals to win the games at the end of regulation and OT.

SmokeyClause 06-25-2004 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Enoch
I think your correct. I think David has waited for us to reach a point, through drafting, where we are a playoff contending team. Now that we are.....we can improve our team on the ice, using the excess prospect assets. Lets face it, we have TONS of really good prospects, and we just will not be able to ice all of them.

Good analysis on the center position. I couldn't agree more. A thrid line center that can win faceoffs can dramatically help your team. Just check out the Avs of last year.....their PK was 3rd in the league before Nikolishin went down with injury. It ended up ranked mid-pack with the team going on a huge skid to finish the season. Another example would be the Ducks of 2003. There faceoff prescense allowed them to control puck possesion in key situations....i.e. those PP goals to win the games at the end of regulation and OT.

Carolina the year before was dynamite in the faceoff dot. It can be very crucial and is oftentimes the difference between losing and tieing or tieing and winning. I can think of several games this year where a deciding goal was scored right off a Preds faceoff loss.

crossxcheck 06-25-2004 11:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SmokeyClause
Carolina the year before was dynamite in the faceoff dot. It can be very crucial and is oftentimes the difference between losing and tieing or tieing and winning. I can think of several games this year where a deciding goal was scored right off a Preds faceoff loss.

No doubt. That's why a good at faceoffs and defensively sound 3rd line center seems like a great need for the preds.