HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   New York Rangers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=24)
-   -   Martin Biron appreciation thread (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=845157)

KingWantsCup 11-23-2010 12:21 PM

Martin Biron appreciation thread

Well this guy has been nothing short of amazing. Incredible bang for our buck, I hope he keeps up this level of play.

He's currently 5-2-0, has a 2.15 GAA, and a .917 SV%.

Best back up goalie in the league IMO. :handclap:

Fitzy 11-23-2010 12:26 PM

Every time we do one of these the guy ends up crashing and burning.

In 07-08 we had posters talking about how Valiquette would be a starter on x how many other teams.

Last year there was the "Prince Chad" thread, he subsequently sucked it up in the ahl.

And Rask is the best backup in the league, btw.

Alvvays 11-23-2010 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fitzy Duke of NY (Post 29131724)

In 07-08 we had posters talking about how Valiquette would be a starter on x how many other teams.

Last year there was the "Prince Chad" thread, he subsequently sucked it up in the ahl.

Brian Boyle, Steve Eminger, Mike Sauer, etc, etc. :)

Wait, there was a thread saying Valiquette was a starter? :biglaugh:

KingWantsCup 11-23-2010 12:29 PM

Quote:

Superstition is funny. :laugh:
Either way Biron has been a god send.

msv957 11-23-2010 12:36 PM

Biron has been real good as this will only help Hank and the team in the long run.

However, I do believe most NHL goalies will look real good playing behind this defense. Leading the league in blocked shots and etc.. This is a strong defense and also the forwards back check real well.

NYR Viper 11-23-2010 12:38 PM

Here is the better topic:

Will the Rangers receive multiple trade offers both at the deadline and over the off-season for Biron's services? I could see a team like Chicago having interest over the off-season. They have cap issues and he makes next to nothing.

Swept In Seven 11-23-2010 12:44 PM

finally a capable back up

DMPD 11-23-2010 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hockeyviper87 (Post 29131911)
Here is the better topic:

Will the Rangers receive multiple trade offers both at the deadline and over the off-season for Biron's services? I could see a team like Chicago having interest over the off-season. They have cap issues and he makes next to nothing.

The better question is, why would the Rangers entertain these offers?

BrandNewDream 11-23-2010 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrurysWeekend (Post 29132041)

Seriously. I'm very happy that Biron's played the way he has, AND we have him signed for next season as well. A great, great signing by Slats.

NYR Viper 11-23-2010 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrurysWeekend (Post 29132041)

Its pretty simple. If a team offers a 2nd rounder for a goalie who is going to play 20 games the team has to think about it. There are other back-ups.

Miller Time NYR 11-23-2010 03:01 PM

Quote:

As of right now at 1-5-1 with a 2.36 gaa is probably one of the worst that's as of right now.

Anyway it's really nice to have a more than capable backup goaltender, unlike valiquette and Johnson to and extent who you assumed would loose biron gives us just about as much a chance to win as hank. Biron's been beyond SOLID.

Thordic 11-23-2010 03:19 PM

There were stretches where Vally looked unbeatable. Some nights he looked amazing out there. He was just terribly inconsistent. I don't think he was as skilled as some of the displays he put on. A combination of luck and extreme effort made him look like a starter on some nights. But if he showed up bringing anything less than 110%, and had a couple bad bounces, he looked like belonged in the AHL. Which is what you expect from a journeyman backup. Goalies like Vally are stopgaps for mediocre teams who don't have better backup options and don't want to have their young goalies rot on the bench.

Biron is way beyond Vally. He's a borderline starter, and a solid backup. He could easily be a starter on a handful of teams in the league who lack quality goaltenders, but hasn't shown a ton of consistency as a starter. As a backup, he fits the role perfectly.

Loffen 11-23-2010 03:28 PM

He did have that one stinker against Atlanta, but other than that, he's been flat out awesome.
It's great to have an experienced and competent backup, who has been a starter for several seasons before. That's for sure.

UnderPSI 11-23-2010 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AJBergy86 (Post 29131999)
finally a capable back up

QFT.

I would hope we would not trade Biron away.

Biron so far has been playing well but we can only hope it continues. So far 1 crap game for his what? 8 starts? Cant complain there.

Bottom line, Biron was happy to sign his deal here. He was quoted that he wanted more then a 1 year deal and he got it. He knows his roll, fulfills his role, and for once I don't cringe when our back-up is in net.

TreeSapLlama 11-23-2010 03:42 PM

Quote:

I would argue that they have more of a goaltending tandem in Boston.

If we set an arbitrary guideline and say that the definition of a backup goalie is any goalie who plays less then ~25 games a season, then I would say Biron is definitely one of the best. Otherwise Rask is (his stats don't show his talent).

Miller Time NYR 11-23-2010 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loffen (Post 29134843)
He did have that one stinker against Atlanta, but other than that, he's been flat out awesome.
It's great to have an experienced and competent backup, who has been a starter for several seasons before. That's for sure.

I blame a good amount of that loss on the team playing like ****. And yes it's so refreshing to have a capable experienced backup.

BlueshirtBlitz 11-23-2010 04:10 PM

Prince Marty keeps the King fresh for the playoffs.

Best signing this offseason so far, IMO. :handclap:

Miller Time NYR 11-23-2010 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlueshirtBlitz (Post 29135572)
Prince Marty keeps the King fresh for the playoffs.

Best signing this offseason so far, IMO. :handclap:

Don't forget frolov.

:sarcasm:

BlueshirtBlitz 11-23-2010 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 (Post 29135624)
Don't forget frolov.

Frolov's Frolovs have provided us with endless entertainment, so you may be right.

Loffen 11-23-2010 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 (Post 29135483)
I blame a good amount of that loss on the team playing like ****. And yes it's so refreshing to have a capable experienced backup.

I know we played like garbage, but he let in two awful short-siders... Byfugliens slap-shot was also fairly stoppable. But he has moved on from that game. He's been real stellar. Keep it up Marty.

And I hope Lundqvist responds with a great performance on Wednesday against Tampa. We'll need it.

vipernsx 11-23-2010 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KingWantsCup (Post 29131649)
Well this guy has been nothing short of amazing. Incredible bang for our buck, I hope he keeps up this level of play.

He's currently 5-2-0, has a 2.15 GAA, and a .917 SV%.

Best back up goalie in the league IMO. :handclap:

Props to Biron, with a good Goalie coach this guy should be a starter! He's far better then some other duds like Turco and Gerber.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Loffen (Post 29136075)
And I hope Lundqvist responds with a great performance on Wednesday against Tampa. We'll need it.

Henke's never really been challenged, I think Tort's is doing this subtly, but intentionally. I think as competitive as Henke is, he's going to respond in a big way. We're going to need it against Tampa...LIGHTS OUT TIME!!!!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rangerdanger20 (Post 29135624)
Don't forget frolov.

You mean king wraparound? Can't wait until Torts starts riding him for not driving to the net...lol...I guess Drury and Prospal have to be healthy first.

White Plains Batman 11-23-2010 11:04 PM

Biron was a starter in this league for years. He has talent. Love his attitude, it's great to see a guy who loves life and hockey that much on a team we root for. He's a little crazy too with the Macguyver purse he carries around which is always a plus. And bonus points for that Gilles Gratton Tribute mask.

Vally was fine for Renney's system but not for a Torts team. Kinda like how Scott Clemenson worked wonders for the Devils.

Chimp 11-24-2010 05:12 AM

Biron was one of the best signings this season. Lundqvist/ Biron is one of the best tandems in the league I think.

For the first time in forever, Hank doesn't have to play 70+ games for us to have a chance to make the playoffs. I hope Biron plays around 20 games this season, while Hank plays around 60.

But the stability in net starts with the team in front.

MrEctions 11-24-2010 07:15 AM

I feel like the fact of what a incredible teammate this guy is goes unnoticed as well. Listen to his interview from the win the other night. The guy is all class, and just a awesome teammate. He knows his role and wants Hank to succeed, and recognizes full well that Hank is the number 1. Instead of a lot of other goalies who hit a hot streak and think they should continue to play. Very happy he is a part of this organization, and hope he ends his career here tbh.