HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Columbus Blue Jackets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   Line Combos: Our power play (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=845201)

Robert 11-23-2010 01:52 PM

Our power play

The Jackets power play is now ranked 28th in the league, it has improved slightly over the past few games but how long can the Jackets continue to stay near the top in the Western Conference with a power play that anemic? Will Howson make a trade soon or bring up Holden etc. to improve it?

We are currently winning with goaltending and defense; will this last without an effective scoring power play?

Saad Panda 11-23-2010 02:06 PM

IMO we need a blueline threat to improve our PP. We have no big shot from the point.

blahblah 11-23-2010 02:06 PM

Our PP will improve, I'm not really concerned.

Happy Pony 11-23-2010 02:09 PM

I think we'll see some more work with what we have. Stralman and Brassard were working on one timers near the end of practice, and Russell was working on catching a pass and taking a quick shot.

There was a ton of power play work in practice today.

Dednimnepo 11-23-2010 03:39 PM

Watching the game against Nashville last night the only time I saw the guys skate nervous/hesitant was on the power play. My fear is that bleeds into the rest of their game and we end up with last years team. My hope is they gain some confidence or relax enough to just play and let the goals come.

Gulvorn 11-23-2010 03:44 PM

In my opinion, the main problem hasn't been the work of the actual power play. The main problem has been entry into the offensive zone. Seems like we don't win face offs on the power play and if we ever get pushed out of the offensive zone, we can't seem to get set up once we get in it. We seem to generate a lot of scoring chances if we ever get set up.

The Jackets had one of the worst power plays in 2008-2009 and made it to the playoffs. I'd personally rather have that team that could score at any point 5 on 5 and keep special teams even than the team last year that could score on the power play but could never come back to win a game because their 5 on 5 was horrible and was constantly down early in games because they couldn't get 5 on 5 goals and rarely would get early power plays.

CBJSprague24 11-23-2010 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gulvorn (Post 29135129)
The Jackets had one of the worst power plays in 2008-2009 and made it to the playoffs. I'd personally rather have that team that could score at any point 5 on 5 and keep special teams even than the team last year that could score on the power play but could never come back to win a game because their 5 on 5 was horrible and was constantly down early in games because they couldn't get 5 on 5 goals and rarely would get early power plays.

Thinking about the 08-09 team compared to this year's, might adding one piece to this year's PP, either somebody they haven't used already or somebody they'd bring in, possibly make a significant difference? Didn't our PP get significantly better after they picked up Williams?

Viqsi 11-23-2010 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CBJSprague24 (Post 29135199)
Thinking about the 08-09 team compared to this year's, might adding one piece to this year's PP, either somebody they haven't used already or somebody they'd bring in, possibly make a significant difference? Didn't our PP get significantly better after they picked up Williams?

It did, and AFAIK he happens to be a free agent at the moment. ;)

I'm not all that deeply concerned about the power play either, honestly. I'd like to add a point cannon, but so far things are working.

LetsGOJackets!! 11-23-2010 04:40 PM

Robert my friend..

Quote:

Originally Posted by Robert (Post 29133271)
The Jackets power play is now ranked 28th in the league, it has improved slightly over the past few games but how long can the Jackets continue to stay near the top in the Western Conference with a power play that anemic? Will Howson make a trade soon or bring up Holden etc. to improve it?

We are currently winning with goaltending and defense; will this last without an effective scoring power play?

probably no chance that you would float this question out on the main board is there?:D

I would love to see the Jackets current team with a top 15 power play. We are winning without much PP success, and this would certainly help us.

Movement of the puck has been pretty good, the entry into the zone does need work as mentioned. Imo the Blue Jackets don't get off enough shots during the typical pp. Shoot the puck and get traffic in front of the net & good things happen. I'm sure the coaching staff is emphasizing it so that the units get more comfortable. Shoot the puck, everyone else can move up front and work on tip drills

Doug19 11-23-2010 05:01 PM

I want the powerplay to get better, it probably will without an addition, but even if it didn't I wouldn't worry to much about it.

Hipster Letestu 11-23-2010 06:55 PM

Having a pointman with a howitzer would be nice, every time Weber wound up last night you could almost hear the fans collectively holding their breath.

Robert 11-23-2010 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LetsGOJackets!! (Post 29136051)
probably no chance that you would float this question out on the main board is there?:D

I would love to see the Jackets current team with a top 15 power play. We are winning without much PP success, and this would certainly help us.

Movement of the puck has been pretty good, the entry into the zone does need work as mentioned. Imo the Blue Jackets don't get off enough shots during the typical pp. Shoot the puck and get traffic in front of the net & good things happen. I'm sure the coaching staff is emphasizing it so that the units get more comfortable. Shoot the puck, everyone else can move up front and work on tip drills

I may, if I feel like doing so....;)

Probably not though, our PP is nothing to be proud of unlike other aspects of our season. Some here are of the opinion that this issue is moot but any NHL head coach in the league will tell you that a combined special team percentage should be 100 or greater to make a deep run in the playoffs. We are around 95 and I can't see our PK being much better than what it is...

It is what is, our power play needs to improve if our great start is going to end up a great finish.

Sore Loser 11-23-2010 09:09 PM

Thread title says "Line Combos" ... I'll put one together, for fun's sake.

Unit 1:
LW: Filatov on the half boards. RW: Voracek on the half boards ... Nash in front of the net, Brassard on the right point, Commodore on the left (he's been shooting the puck since his return).

Unit 2: Vermette on the half boards, either side. Umberger in front of the net, and any one of our glut of forwards on the other half boards (try Dorsett or Clark just for fun/sandpaper?). Stralman on the left, Russell on the right.

When Huselius comes back, put him on the top unit in Filatov's place, move Filatov to the second unit with Umberger/Vermette.

Similar to what we have now? Yes ... but, the goals will come eventually, I feel.

pete goegan 11-23-2010 09:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GoChiefsGo (Post 29139880)
Thread title says "Line Combos" ... I'll put one together, for fun's sake.

Unit 1:
LW: Filatov on the half boards. RW: Voracek on the half boards ... Nash in front of the net, Brassard on the right point, Commodore on the left (he's been shooting the puck since his return).

Unit 2: Vermette on the half boards, either side. Umberger in front of the net, and any one of our glut of forwards on the other half boards (try Dorsett or Clark just for fun/sandpaper?). Stralman on the left, Russell on the right.

When Huselius comes back, put him on the top unit in Filatov's place, move Filatov to the second unit with Umberger/Vermette.

Similar to what we have now? Yes ... but, the goals will come eventually, I feel.

I know it's often talked about, but I just don't see them wasting Nash's offensive ability, puck possession skills, and sharp passing by sticking him in front of the goal to block the goalie's vision and get tips. He goes there as they rotate, but I don't think it makes sense as a steady diet.

Sore Loser 11-23-2010 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete goegan (Post 29140115)
I know it's often talked about, but I just don't see them wasting Nash's offensive ability, puck possession skills, and sharp passing by sticking him in front of the goal to block the goalie's vision and get tips. He goes there as they rotate, but I don't think it makes sense as a steady diet.

I think Nash would be a beast in front of the net just for the reasons you stated. His hands are the best on this team, and watching him deflect pucks and dig for rebounds with his large frame would bring a whole new element to our powerplay.

At least until Kubalik is brought along.

thisisbright 11-23-2010 11:31 PM

Eh... Stralman and Russell haven't looked like they're comfortable yet on the PP. (That may be just the games I've watched though.) Personally, I'd be interested to see how Boll would do on the 2nd unit. He's not a skills guy by any means, but he seems to be shooting more this year and hustling hard for pucks... two things I think the Jackets need to improve on the man advantage. If nothing else, it'd be interesting to see how he'd do. :dunno:

I think Rusty could score some PP goals too... if he can hit the net. He had that nice rocket in L.A., but I can't help but notice how many times I hear the announcers say, "Klesla winds up and fires -- just wide of the goal!" :P

The Four Seven 11-23-2010 11:46 PM

GoChiefs and Pete bring up a good point. Though having the threat of a cannon from the point is number one on our wish list, I think the power play would be helped just as well by a Holmstrom/Franzen-esque presence in front of the net. Nash is the closest we have to that type of player, but we need his skill along the half-boards and faceoff circles. Umberger does his best, but he's not perfectly what we need.

I wonder if someone like Brooks Laich from Washington would be sufficient, or would he end up the same as Umberger in our system?

BluejacketNut 11-24-2010 06:54 AM

There's no reason Nash shouldnt be infront of the net. Put Brassard on the side for passing, but Nash is our most skilled, and biggest body...put him infront of the net already.

pete goegan 11-24-2010 06:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by thisisbright (Post 29142176)
I think Rusty could score some PP goals too... if he can hit the net. He had that nice rocket in L.A., but I can't help but notice how many times I hear the announcers say, "Klesla winds up and fires -- just wide of the goal!" :P

The thought of Rusty, alone at the point with the puck and an attacker pressuring him, does not comfort me in any way. There's more to that role than just firing big slappers.

QTMcWhiskers 11-24-2010 07:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluejacketNut (Post 29144030)
There's no reason Nash shouldnt be infront of the net. Put Brassard on the side for passing, but Nash is our most skilled, and biggest body...put him infront of the net already.

Agreed. Didn't he score about 15 of his goals by standing in front of the net is Rocket Richard winning year? If I remember correctly, we basically had Cassels feed somebody and had Nash bang in the rebound because nobody could move him, and he had the finishing touch to do so. I guess we don't have somebody on the team confident enough to allow Nash to be in that position? I don't know...

Renion 11-24-2010 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by QTMcWhiskers (Post 29144058)
Agreed. Didn't he score about 15 of his goals by standing in front of the net is Rocket Richard winning year? If I remember correctly, we basically had Cassels feed somebody and had Nash bang in the rebound because nobody could move him, and he had the finishing touch to do so. I guess we don't have somebody on the team confident enough to allow Nash to be in that position? I don't know...

Not saying it didn't happen, but I honestly don't remember that. I do remember him getting a lot of goals off of rebounds from the bottom of the faceoff circle, though, on the right side. I definitely remember him swooping in for the kill more than waiting for it to drop in his lap.

It's certainly an experiment worth trying, either way. (At this point, what isn't?) Still, I'm not sure Nash is aggressive enough for the role. You kinda have to be an ******* to do it effectively.

Roadman 11-24-2010 07:51 AM

I wonder what Wilson would look like parked in front. 6'2", 205 with good hands seems like a lot of his goals have been the get dirty type.

BluejacketNut 11-24-2010 08:04 AM

Nash infront of the net was one of the changes I had hoped to see with the new coaching staff, and would be a nice question to ask at any STH sessions with the coach. Nash's fine for the crosscheck to the face shows he has at least enough nastiness to stand infront of the net. Wilson doesnt sound like a bad idea either, but put someone with size in there to screen the goalie....not to mention it requires another one of their defenders to at least address the person infront of the net, creating more space for others

blahblah 11-24-2010 08:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete goegan (Post 29144042)
The thought of Rusty, alone at the point with the puck and an attacker pressuring him, does not comfort me in any way. There's more to that role than just firing big slappers.

It would comfort me more then Stralman.

GrimReeper 11-24-2010 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Four Seven (Post 29142320)
GoChiefs and Pete bring up a good point. Though having the threat of a cannon from the point is number one on our wish list, I think the power play would be helped just as well by a Holmstrom/Franzen-esque presence in front of the net. Nash is the closest we have to that type of player, but we need his skill along the half-boards and faceoff circles. Umberger does his best, but he's not perfectly what we need.

I wonder if someone like Brooks Laich from Washington would be sufficient, or would he end up the same as Umberger in our system?

Concidering that it was Umberger who led our team in PP goals in 08-09 with 9..and was 2nd in 09-10 with 8 i'd hardly say he wasn't up to the task.. Fact is we just haven't been gaining the zone and getting good looks at goal for him to do his part.

It's actually been Brassard struggling on the point to gain or mantain the zone that I've noticed.

Why would anyone suggest putting Nash there? Umberger is our best player for that position so the line combos of 3 weenies out there don't work.

Filatov hasn't exactly been lighting it up either and you want to put him on the top PP? We're turning the quarter pole and he's without a goal! "But he's going to come around and be smething truely great" He's going to be a healthy scratch when Juice comes back.