HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   The Rink (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=150)
-   -   Couple of quick questions (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=845546)

Oilbleeder 11-24-2010 11:44 AM

Couple of quick questions

A bit of background, I'm fairly new player to hockey, and I'm trying to improve my skills and what not, so I thought I'd ask a couple of questions.

I'm a RWer, I shoot left and my skating is improving, but still pretty choppy.

1.) How do I improve my defensive positioning? I'm fairly bad two-way player and I'd like to improve it. I'm pretty bad on where to go when the opposition comes into our own zone, I'd like to know to get better.

2.) How to improve my cycling/cycling technique/boardwork. I'm not completely hideous at cycling(not as bad as my two-way play), but I'd like to get better. Any exercises?

Any tips you guys give me would be greatly appreciated on the two questions above.

Thanks

mobilus 11-24-2010 12:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oilbleeder (Post 29146861)
I'm a RWer, I shoot left and my skating is improving, but still pretty choppy.

1.) How do I improve my defensive positioning? I'm fairly bad two-way player and I'd like to improve it. I'm pretty bad on where to go when the opposition comes into our own zone, I'd like to know to get better.

2.) How to improve my cycling/cycling technique/boardwork. I'm not completely hideous at cycling(not as bad as my two-way play), but I'd like to get better. Any exercises?

Keeping it simple:

1) In your end, if the play is on the left side, you're in the high slot (hash marks), right defense has the low slot (front of the net). If the puck cycles to your side of the rink, you either drop to the right corner to precede or help your defenseman, or take the right boards by the hash marks. If the puck is banged around hard from the left side/corner to the right, proceed from the high slot to the right boards and intercept the puck for a pass out or clearing attempt. Slash any stray ankles if the ref isn't looking (I kid).

2) Imagine you're facing the boards, a foot away from it, and the puck is at your feet. For the opponent who's attacking you want to protect the puck first, then control it. First thing is to protect yourself. Hold your stick with two hands wide apart like you're going to cross-check someone, then put both hands on the glass. The opponent can't push you flat to the glass, your arms and stick are a buffer to give your body distance from the boards. You're protecting yourself now but not the puck. So, same position on the stick like you're going to cross-check, drop your left hand down to the boards, keep your right hand up on the glass or by the seam of glass/boards. You can play the puck with your stick and/or feet, and keep distance from the boards with your body. You want the puck against the boards, the blade of your stick near the puck, and your hips about 18"24" from the boards, using the shaft of your stick and arms to control that space. If you use one foot to press the puck up against the boards, spread your stance and keep your other foot a good distance apart so you don't go down. Kick the puck to the blade of your stick, and immediately clear/pass/whatever you're trying to do.

Mr. Canucklehead 11-24-2010 03:32 PM

Quote:

A big thing that has helped me is asking my defensemen to communicate with me on the ice. In your own end, the winger essentially covers their side of the ice, ideally floating between the corner/sideboards/blueline, at all times trying to keep yourself between the puck and the net. If there's a backdoor play forming, your team should be able to inform you of that. So always be aware of what they're saying to you and listen for the defensemen--and the goalie--to call shots from the net.

Quote:

A good exercise would be getting a buddy and working on a bit of "keep away" in close quarters to emulate the boards. Cycling and board battles involve not just stickwork, but body positioning and foot work. Get comfortable moving the puck to your feet and bouncing it between your skates. Again, listen for your teammates. They will likely take a position up or down the boards from you to try and give you an outlet, or even charge in to help pry the puck loose in some situations. Be aware of your surroundings.

Hope that's helpful. :)