HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   News Article: Calder Trophy tracker: 'Bob' leads the pack (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=845837)

phillyflu 11-25-2010 03:05 AM

Calder Trophy tracker: 'Bob' leads the pack

Quote:

Calder Trophy tracker: 'Bob' leads the pack

Last season, Buffalo defenseman Tyler Myers ran away with the Calder Trophy, earning 400 more points than Detroit goalie Jimmy Howard, who was the first runner-up.

Will it be closer this year?

The 2010-11 race certainly has the making of a classic, featuring a Cinderalla story goaltender in Philadelphia, a gamble at forward paying off in Carolina and a can't-miss defenseman playing at a far higher level than his age would suggest in Washington DC.

So, who will take home Calder this spring? There's too much hockey left to be played to make that brash a decision, but NHL.com's Mike Morreale is ready to tell you who has been the League's best rookie through the first quarter of the season.

Winner

Sergei Bobrovsky, Philadelphia Flyers -- Bobrovsky has turned potential into reality. The 22-year-old Russian arrived in North America this fall as one of the game's most intriguing prospects. By November, he has become one of the League's best goalies. He's tied for second in the League with 11 wins and is ranked 11th in goals-against average (2.29), save percentage (.925) and minutes played (916:31) after stealing the job in training camp after starter Michael Leighton suffered a back injury. During the Flyers' 10-game unbeaten streak earlier this season, "Bob" had a 1.70 GAA and a .946 save percentage.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=544383

Flyerfan808 11-25-2010 04:10 AM

It's still early, but I'm glad to hear that he is the leading candidate.

I assume his competition would be:

Skinner
Carlson
Nuevirth

If I am not mistaken Bobrovsky is also second place in all-star goalie voting. I don't expect him to overtake Price. If I wasn't such a ****ing homer I might vote for Carey also.

SolidSnakeUS 11-25-2010 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyerfan808 (Post 29165730)
It's still early, but I'm glad to hear that he is the leading candidate.

I assume his competition would be:

Skinner
Carlson
Nuevirth

If I am not mistaken Bobrovsky is also second place in all-star goalie voting. I don't expect him to overtake Price. If I wasn't such a ****ing homer I might vote for Carey also.

I don't know about Neuvirth... he definitely hasn't been as consistent or better stats-wise as Bob.

Spongolium* 11-25-2010 05:46 AM

I don't want bob to play in the all-star game :(

KimiFerrari 11-25-2010 09:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Spongolium (Post 29165908)
I don't want bob to play in the all-star game :(

Same, nor rookie game.

I want him to rest, and I still have a sour taste in my mouth after what happened to Price.

MsWoof 11-25-2010 09:24 AM

I'd like him to get in the game because he deserves to. I think Lavi now knows he has to pace him over the season so even if he does go, he won't get overplayed, especially if the team is still comfortable in the playoffs.

DrinkFightFlyers 11-25-2010 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KimiFerrari (Post 29166907)
Same, nor rookie game.

I want him to rest, and I still have a sour taste in my mouth after what happened to Price.

Come on. People are really blowing stuff like this out of proportion. It is one game that no one takes seriously. If he couldn't handle playing one period in the all-star game (or however long a goalie plays in the all-star game), he wouldn't be in the league. There's a potential for injury I suppose, but if you are going to be too scared to let a kid play an extra period of hockey, you might as well hold him out of practice too because he could get hurt or tired there too. It's one game and it isn't even taken seriously and it isn't even a whole game.

GKJ 11-25-2010 10:03 AM

They got rid of the rookie game. Thankfully, because it really wasn't a game.

phillyflu 11-25-2010 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers (Post 29167401)
Come on. People are really blowing stuff like this out of proportion. It is one game that no one takes seriously. If he couldn't handle playing one period in the all-star game (or however long a goalie plays in the all-star game), he wouldn't be in the league. There's a potential for injury I suppose, but if you are going to be too scared to let a kid play an extra period of hockey, you might as well hold him out of practice too because he could get hurt or tired there too. It's one game and it isn't even taken seriously and it isn't even a whole game.

I agree with this.

Except one scenario. I don't want him or any goalie playing in a meaningless all-star game shootout and blowing out a hip or groin. Didn't that happen to someone a couple years ago?

DrinkFightFlyers 11-25-2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillyflu (Post 29167463)
I agree with this.

Except one scenario. I don't want him or any goalie playing in a meaningless all-star game shootout and blowing out a hip or groin. Didn't that happen to someone a couple years ago?

I'm sure it has, and certainly could, but he could also do the same thing in practice or slip getting out of his car. It is silly to worry that playing one period or in the skill competition or whatever is going to be the thing that injures someone because injuries can happen anytime anywhere.

Giroux tha Damaja 11-25-2010 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phillyflu (Post 29167463)
I agree with this.

Rick Dipietro was coming back from a hip injury and he was taking breakaways in the shoot out competition. Someone put a nice move on, made him spread out post to post and that was that. They even had him mic'd so you could hear the curse words when he did it.

RJ8812 11-25-2010 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by go kim johnsson 514 (Post 29167410)
They got rid of the rookie game. Thankfully, because it really wasn't a game.

neither is the actual ASG...so hopefully they get rid of that as well

Pantokrator 11-25-2010 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RJ8812 (Post 29170181)
neither is the actual ASG...so hopefully they get rid of that as well

I'd love it if they got rid of that game. It is so meaningless. I can't even watch it. If they played a team of KHL all stars, though, I'd watch it.

Pantokrator 11-25-2010 02:38 PM

The whole issue about the Calder is really meaningless for us becsause Flyers don't win the Calder.

SgtJoseph 11-25-2010 10:55 PM

I do not get folks not wanting BOB to play in the all star game if he indeed makes the team.The young lad has played well and if he is rewarded with a place on the NHL all star team i think it will be an honor for him to play and represent his team in such a way.The only draw back is that he will perhaps have another nice nugget on his resume come contract negotiation time in the future which will certainly effect the cap hit.He has been a very refreshing story early on, and to even hear his name mentioned as a Calder candidate and an all star candidate etc is something we all should be happy about as Flyers fans.Bob is quickly earning respect around the league and is doing it with great class and humility.Good for him !

ChumpyG 11-26-2010 03:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrinkFightFlyers (Post 29167590)
I'm sure it has, and certainly could, but he could also do the same thing in practice or slip getting out of his car. It is silly to worry that playing one period or in the skill competition or whatever is going to be the thing that injures someone because injuries can happen anytime anywhere.

Jose Theodore and Joe Sakic say "hi!". :)