HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Biggest gunners for the Flyers over the years ? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=846197)

SgtJoseph 11-26-2010 02:08 AM

Biggest gunners for the Flyers over the years ?

By the term " GUNNERS " i am referring to players who liked to run with the puck and shoot from darn near anywhere every chance they got .In Basketball down town Freddy Brown was a " Gunner " as well as world be free [ Loyd Free ] was certainly a Gunner as well.

I always viewed Ron Flockhart as a gunner when he played for the Flyers, He would shoot from damn near anywhere, including beyond the blue line while on a rush. He was exciting to watch with his rushes, but at times i remember shaking my head wondering what the heck he was thinking with some of his long range bombs.

Hockeypete49 11-26-2010 03:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtJoseph (Post 29179147)
By the term " GUNNERS " i am referring to players who liked to run with the puck and shoot from darn near anywhere every chance they got .In Basketball down town Freddy Brown was a " Gunner " as well as world be free [ Loyd Free ] was certainly a Gunner as well.

I always viewed Ron Flockhart as a gunner when he played for the Flyers, He would shoot from damn near anywhere, including beyond the blue line while on a rush. He was exciting to watch with his rushes, but at times i remember shaking my head wondering what the heck he was thinking with some of his long range bombs.

Although he was not a runner The Rifle was a shooter in the 1st degree.

Sawdalite 11-26-2010 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hockeypete49 (Post 29179339)
Although he was not a runner The Rifle was a shooter in the 1st degree.

When I read the thread topic the first name that popped in my mind was The Rifle also.

In reading the description as stated... the first name is Jeff Carter. Carts has never met a shot that he has failed to like.

Flockart to me was a roadrunner... beep-beep and he was off. I remember him more for his rushes than his broad range of shots... But that was decades ago and complete memory is fuzzy. I have that one aspect dominating my memory of him.

MiamiScreamingEagles 11-26-2010 09:33 AM

How about Brian Propp? If we are talking about taking shots, not so much the long-bomber, however.

CTU2fan 11-26-2010 10:12 AM

As a Whaler Geoff Sanderson was a guy who would let it fly from anywhere, but that part of his game was long gone by the time he hit Philly. Not a long gunner history with the Flyers, most of their big scorers have done it with a large helping of dirty goals.

I guess you could call Tim Kerr a gunner...but not a rifle. He wasn't shooting from distance, but if he got it below the circles it was going on goal, and quickly.

six sigma 11-26-2010 10:47 AM

Wow, a Freddy Brown reference!:handclap:

jd2210 11-26-2010 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtJoseph (Post 29179147)

As soon as I read that line I though of Brent Fedyk. I think if he was given the option of shooting it from in the penalty box he would have. Remember the good ol Crazy 8's line? I remember one game very vividly when there was a 2 on one and Fedyk rifled it at the net the second he crossed the blue line. Recchi looked at him and held his arm out as if to say "dude, what are you doing?"

I actually really liked Fedyk overall but that was one area of his game that always made me laugh.

PantherStriker 11-26-2010 01:51 PM

The first name that comes to mind for me is John LeClair. The guy put up 50 goals in 3 straight seasons, the first american to accomplish that feat.

Other than that, Bill Barber, and Reggie Leach were all what I'd call gunners

ShawnTHW 11-26-2010 04:04 PM

For me its Jeff Carter. He really does shoot from every angle, and damn near misses every shot from EVERY angle. :facepalm: