HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Philadelphia Flyers (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21)
-   -   Just to help the refs... (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=846397)

1865 11-26-2010 06:43 PM

Just to help the refs...

Obviously refereeing is a difficult job., especially with rules being incredibly vague and often even unworded like todays abberation. Therefore, i thought i could help them out in future and give them a few more examples in which they could call the now-infamous 'Rule 75' just so they're ready:

* When forwards are wearing too strong a cologne. Probably best that you issue a 10 minute misconduct too so he can wash it off.
* When someone farts in front of the net. Flatulance is not a joke, goalies have sensitive nostrils.
* Any occasions in which a big red light goes on behind the goalie. That's just got to be distracting, so wipe the goal out and tell the 20,000 people in the arena to be a bit quieter in future too.
* Any instances of circling the zone, goalie's just gonna get dizzy if too much of that goes on.
* Anyone telling the nettie an interesting story before the game. There is a possibility that he'll be thinking about it later on so you'd better have your whistle ready in case he's not got his mind fully on the game.
* No butterflies, anywhere. One beat of their wings could cause a hurricane on the other side of the world and that's got to be dangerous in the defensive zone.
* Someone firing a hard, frozen bit of rubber at the goalie. I mean, how's a guy supposed to concentrate with that going on?
* Don't allow anyone to put a hand up in front of the goalie for a split second a few seconds before a shot comes in, although he's allowed to obscure his vision with his body, legs or stick.

Actually, that last one is a bit ridiculous, scratch that.

Have we got any more ideas?

Flyerfan4life 11-26-2010 08:13 PM

how bout not to long of a school/course, but at least LEARN the GODAM rules..

i dont think its to much to ask..

you could pull clueless wonders off the street who can ref better then some of these fricken officals we've been getting stuck with lately..

just finished watching the Flyers vs Flames rob job..

im sik and tired of having to face both the opposing team and the refs every game..

the state of referring in the NHL is a joke.. between the missed calls and a flagrant one-sided calling its almost worse then boxing for being rigged.

Giroux tha Damaja 11-26-2010 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flyerfan4life (Post 29194469)
how bout not to long of a school/course, but at least LEARN the GODAM rules..

i dont think its to much to ask..

you could pull clueless wonders off the street who can ref better then some of these fricken officals we've been getting stuck with lately..

just finished watching the Flyers vs Flames rob job..

im sik and tired of having to face both the opposing team and the refs every game..

the state of referring in the NHL is a joke.. between the missed calls and a flagrant one-sided calling its almost worse then boxing for being rigged.

IMO the Flyers have been getting their games called fair all year pretty much.

And about learning the "godam rules"....if we are going stictly by the name of the rule in question there are at least 75 rules that need to be enforced at a time. If you want a referee to absorb and consider that much information with no delay, or with out missing a call sometimes.....you're out of your mind.

Flyerfan4life 11-26-2010 09:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja (Post 29194815)
IMO the Flyers have been getting their games called fair all year pretty much.

And about learning the "godam rules"....if we are going stictly by the name of the rule in question there are at least 75 rules that need to be enforced at a time. If you want a referee to absorb and consider that much information with no delay, or with out missing a call sometimes.....you're out of your mind.

what league are your flyers playing in??

I need to start watching them instead

everyone can accept a few missed calls every now and then but every game it seems the refs are watching stuff happen and blowing it...

it's one thing if your unsure what happened cuz your view was compromised but when your looking directly at the play and either fail to call it when it's a actual penalty or worse yet call it when it clearly wasn't and everyone in the universe knows it

sensfan44 11-27-2010 12:37 AM

just saw the replays and as a sens fan had to come here and let you know that i am on prongers side for this one. absolutely terrible call! i am a goalie and i didnt even think the avery thing was all that bad. he wasnt in the crease and never made contact. i mean whats next? a player cant stand anywhere in front of the goalie cause then he wont be able to see the puck? "um ref...no goal....i couldnt see the puck coming in cause that player was blocking my view" ridiculous! isnt that the point of a screen? better not tip the puck on the way in either...."but ref the puck changed directions!....how do you expect me to stop it when he does that?".....can you imagine if they made a stupid rule when gretzky started going behind the net cause people couldnt chase after him there. "no fair, we cant get him. make him come out".....avery is a pioneer for doing this and if pronger actually did it intentionally then all the best to him. ive always thought that the player in front of the goalie providing the screen should face him. that way you are always going to know where he is looking and be able to screen more effectively. good on pronger and philly.
ps. make sure to take good care of meszaros. he was one of my favs

SgtJoseph 11-27-2010 12:58 AM

Unsportsmanlike conduct penalties are supposed to be called immediately are they not ? not 4 seconds later after a goal . And having said that, what Pronger did was not a penalty in any way regardless.

TheUnseenHand 11-27-2010 01:09 AM

No worries guys, the Flyers will take their frustrations out on the Devils tomorrow.

I said this once before on this board: There is no team out there that gets more crappy calls than the Flyers, and I am most decidedly NOT a Flyers fan. I forget what game it was exactly, but I remember Jackson calling it and at one point saying "No penalty?!? You've got to be kidding me..." I hate Jackson, but totally agreed with him.

Valhoun* 11-27-2010 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TheUnseenHand (Post 29199907)
No worries guys, the Flyers will take their frustrations out on the Devils tomorrow.

I said this once before on this board: There is no team out there that gets more crappy calls than the Flyers, and I am most decidedly NOT a Flyers fan. I forget what game it was exactly, but I remember Jackson calling it and at one point saying "No penalty?!? You've got to be kidding me..." I hate Jackson, but totally agreed with him.

Some other teams tend to get ****ed with too, but the Flyers definitely have the reputation calls going against them. Which is ******** since the team hasn't even remotely resembled the BSB except for possibly a very brief time in the 90s when Lindros was killing everything on the ice. And, even then, not even close...

Marconius 11-27-2010 12:06 PM

oilers fan here, so it goes without saying that I hate that ****** Pronger, but you guys totally got jobbed on that one. Lame call.

tuckrr 11-27-2010 12:44 PM

to me, our biggest problem has been 5 on 3 penalties. I mean watching the flyers is like watching NHL 11 on the Xbox, the refs seem to have no discretion when it comes to calling that second penalty.

I MEAN IT SHOULD BE A BIG EFFING DEAL TO CALL A 5 on 3 PENALTY OVER 30 SECONDS.

it should take a HELL of a penalty to warrant such a call

(and in playoffs they shouldnt have 5 on 3's in overtime. Thats just not a good way to win or lose a game...its not fun for anyone.)

sobrien 11-27-2010 01:17 PM

It was a weak call, but the right call. Although I think the ref...a young ref btw...was trying too hard to do his job, instead of swallowing his whistle in OT.

That being said, we've been getting the better end of calls for much of the season. Let's not have an end-of-the-world thread after one screwjob

Hockey Team 11-27-2010 01:34 PM

It's one thing to laugh at someone / a team that gets screwed by a call, but I can't believe people are deluding themselves into believing that was a good call.

You can say things like pronger deserves it, but it's still a bad call!

SgtJoseph 11-27-2010 01:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sobrien (Post 29205215)
It was a weak call, but the right call. Although I think the ref...a young ref btw...was trying too hard to do his job, instead of swallowing his whistle in OT.

That being said, we've been getting the better end of calls for much of the season. Let's not have an end-of-the-world thread after one screwjob

I respectfully disagree about the Flyers getting the better end of the calls this season ?The Flyers lead the league in penalties.We have gotten away with a few now and then like all teams do, and i like refs who let em play and don't call the questionable penalties, but overall the Refs typically have their radar on during Flyers games. Our reputation was carved in stone 36+ years ago and it certainly has influenced many calls over the years.

Giroux tha Damaja 11-27-2010 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtJoseph (Post 29205863)
I respectfully disagree about the Flyers getting the better end of the calls this season?The Flyers lead the league in penalties. We have gotten away with a few now and then like all teams do, and i like refs who let em play and don't call the questionable penalties, but overall the Refs typically have their radar on during Flyers games. Our reputation was carved in stone 36+ years ago and it certainly has influenced many calls over the years.

They've earned a lot of them too.

SgtJoseph 11-28-2010 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Giroux tha Damaja (Post 29206270)
They've earned a lot of them too.

Absolutely !

flountown 11-29-2010 08:24 AM

I am not going to complain about calls all season, but this one was enforced incorrectly and there is no way around that. The wording in the rule is perfectly clear that you must be facing the goalie for the unsportsmanlike.

I ref both hockey and lacrosse, and I believe the rule the NHL instituted is almost word for word taken out of lacrosse rulebooks. The key is whether the player is facing the goalie. If a player wants to do jumping jacks in front of the net, as long as he isn't facing the goalie it is fair game.

Also, the unsportsmanlike doesn't negate the slashing penalty that should of been called on Kiprusoff. I've been reffing for over 10 years and it is a fairly simple call, regardless of what is done to insight it.

FlyersFanz 11-29-2010 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SgtJoseph (Post 29199796)
Unsportsmanlike conduct penalties are supposed to be called immediately are they not ? not 4 seconds later after a goal . And having said that, what Pronger did was not a penalty in any way regardless.

Totally agree with you. The rule for this was put in the NHL because of Avery's embarrassment against Brodeur a couple of years ago, the rule states though the player must be facing the goalie...? Pronger was screening Kiprusoff, that's what I saw...so he put his arm out, big deal! Calgary's defense should have cleared Pronger out of the zone anyway. What Pronger did wasn't even close to the stuff Avery was doing to Brodeur.
I guess the NHL will be accessing a penalty for screening the goalie now? It's part of the game, just like players swearing and such to each other, there's no penalty for that?
Bad call!