HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Pittsburgh Penguins (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=23)
-   -   Looking for a pick up game tonight (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=846792)

Grave77digger 11-27-2010 08:09 PM

Looking for a pick up game tonight

Im looking for a pickup game tonight in Pittsburgh. I live in Bethel Park and the blade runners is always over crowded. anyone know of anything?

TopShelfGoal 11-27-2010 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grave77digger (Post 29211873)
Im looking for a pickup game tonight in Pittsburgh. I live in Bethel Park and the blade runners is always over crowded. anyone know of anything?

I'd say try Ice Castle, but it's the weekend. It's a holdiay weekend, so I'm sure it's packed. I went there one time on a Saturday night and you couldn't even sit on the bench because there were so many people we all had to stand sideways.

Good Luck

Tido450 11-27-2010 09:19 PM

I know at this point you have probly already decided on something, but anyway if I were you id call some of the outdoor rinks. I know shenley rents out ice for pickup. Maybe even south park. Ice castle cuts off pickup at around 40 players which they almost always reach. Its a lot of time on the bench.

Grave77digger 11-27-2010 11:58 PM

played goal at southpark. I dont play goal... :cry:

TopShelfGoal 11-28-2010 12:02 AM

How'd that work out for you??

Grave77digger 11-28-2010 02:01 AM

Around a .5 save percentage. so not well. but I stopped a few. I dont have a goalie stick or goal skates so the low shots were a bit hard.

Ziggyjoe21 11-28-2010 04:05 AM

I think it's ridiculous how there is no ice hockey rinks in the city of Pittsburgh. All the rinks are in the suburbs. I went to Taylor Allderdice HS, which is in Squirrel Hill, and our home rink for ice hockey was Neville Island, 25-30 minutes away.

A rink or 2 near/in downtown could/would be used by Pitt, Duquesne, CMU, and many high schools in the area. Could even be put where Mellon Arena stands today. Hockey is clearly a rapidly growing sport in the area.

TopShelfGoal 11-28-2010 05:40 AM

Your right. It's a shame. Gateway (Monroeville) has to go to Delmont which is also the home ice for Franklin Regional, Penn Trafford, etc, etc. Pretty sure Pitt's home is in in Harmarville and CCAC is way up in Gibsonia. It's crazy.

Mr Jiggyfly 11-28-2010 08:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ziggyjoe21 (Post 29220863)
I think it's ridiculous how there is no ice hockey rinks in the city of Pittsburgh. All the rinks are in the suburbs. I went to Taylor Allderdice HS, which is in Squirrel Hill, and our home rink for ice hockey was Neville Island, 25-30 minutes away.

A rink or 2 near/in downtown could/would be used by Pitt, Duquesne, CMU, and many high schools in the area. Could even be put where Mellon Arena stands today. Hockey is clearly a rapidly growing sport in the area.

There used to be the Southside rink on 21st street (I believe). I played there a ton when I was younger, but the city shut it down which pissed me off obviously. I heard rumors about the guy running it (won't say his name) embezzling money. I think it is still up there... but probably needs a lot of repair work since it has been shut for almost a decade now.

Being up in Canada part time is a hockey player's wet dream... everywhere I turn there is an outdoor rink where I can jump into a game at any time of day when I want.

There are literally 6-7 rinks I can walk to right now to play shinny.... I'm used to it now but at first it was a huge shock. I wish Pgh was like this.

invictus 11-28-2010 11:18 AM

Do any high schools in the Pittsburgh area have their own rinks? Or do few enough schools offer ice hockey that they just share facilities elsewhere?

WickedWrister 11-28-2010 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by invictus (Post 29222582)
Do any high schools in the Pittsburgh area have their own rinks? Or do few enough schools offer ice hockey that they just share facilities elsewhere?

Like city schools? No. The South Hills schools use Blade Runners in Bethel Park near the high school. Mt. Lebanon has their own rink.

Neville Island is so overcrowded that its ridiculous. I mean, I guess thats a good sign for Pittsburgh hockey, but it sucks as a player. Some of my games have scheduled weekday start times of 11:30 pm, but generally don't start till 11:45 due to games running late. Nothing like getting home at 1:30 and having to wake up at 5:00 the next day.

The amount of games they shove onto 2 or 3 ice rinks is unbelievable.

invictus 11-28-2010 11:38 AM

You'd think someone would see this as a good investment opportunity. I wonder how much it cost to get a rink up and running. You reserve certain days of the week for league times with fees, etc....and I imagine you could have a fairly good business going. Though I don't know anything about property costs in the area.

WickedWrister 11-28-2010 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr Jiggyfly (Post 29221432)
There used to be the Southside rink on 21st street (I believe). I played there a ton when I was younger, but the city shut it down which pissed me off obviously. I heard rumors about the guy running it (won't say his name) embezzling money. I think it is still up there... but probably needs a lot of repair work since it has been shut for almost a decade now.

Being up in Canada part time is a hockey player's wet dream... everywhere I turn there is an outdoor rink where I can jump into a game at any time of day when I want.

There are literally 6-7 rinks I can walk to right now to play shinny.... I'm used to it now but at first it was a huge shock. I wish Pgh was like this.

I did a little research, and you're right, the place is a dump.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/image..._roof1_500.jpg

Looks like its being used by squatters now. Some cool pictures at the following link.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/...53/detail.html

Apparently last years blizzard caused a cave in, and part of the building collapsed. Looks like they're going to demolish it.

*edit* Looks like there was a fire there in the spring, and its now been completely demolished. Just a big parking lot now.'
http://citycreative.files.wordpress....pg?w=500&h=314

Grave77digger 11-28-2010 01:27 PM

My biggest complaint is with Airport ice arena. Whoever runs the place has to be the most incompetent person ever. At least advertise your stick times and pickup. Its like they want no business what so ever.

Mr Jiggyfly 11-28-2010 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WickedWrister (Post 29222807)
I did a little research, and you're right, the place is a dump.

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/image..._roof1_500.jpg

Looks like its being used by squatters now. Some cool pictures at the following link.

http://www.thepittsburghchannel.com/...53/detail.html

Apparently last years blizzard caused a cave in, and part of the building collapsed. Looks like they're going to demolish it.

*edit* Looks like there was a fire there in the spring, and its now been completely demolished. Just a big parking lot now.'
http://citycreative.files.wordpress....pg?w=500&h=314

Wow... that literally made me sick to look at...

WVP 11-28-2010 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grave77digger (Post 29217922)
played goal at southpark. I dont play goal... :cry:

That's dedication, man. If I showed up and all they needed was a goalie, I'd be at the bar instead of in net.

Jacob 11-28-2010 02:43 PM

Someone should rent Schenley, it's only like $75 for a couple hours.. You just have to call Sunday to reserve it for Saturday.

ICOP and Bladerunners Warrendale get ridiculously crowded.

Grave77digger 11-28-2010 03:23 PM

I knew people used to rent out schenley on Saturdays but I haven't been there in 2 years. I can only assume they still do but 11:30pm is a bit late.

TopShelfGoal 11-28-2010 07:25 PM

We used to rent Ice Castle every Wednesday night. We had an hour, usually 8-9 or 9-10 for 100 bucks around the end of the Penguins season. I remember running out during the playoffs to catch the score of the Pens game on the huge screen. We'd get it every Wednesday from April to August. Good Times.

Ziggyjoe21 11-28-2010 07:50 PM

IMO the Penguins should at least partially fund a new arena or development program in the area. I know they are somehow involved with the Predators or w/e but there is definitely room to expand the rinks in the area, especially in the southeastern region of the city.

Jacob 11-28-2010 08:38 PM

Why doesn't someone (other than me) get an HFBoards friendly game going?

Wraparounds 11-28-2010 09:47 PM

You're telling me. Hoofing it from Oakland to Harmarville to get to Bladerunners every week for practice is incredibly annoying.

TopShelfGoal 11-28-2010 10:28 PM

If I lived in Pittsburgh I would organize a game. I really do miss that city.
Oakland to Harmarville isn't as bad as Monroeville to Southpointe for game at 1100pm when I played for the FOOLS. Especially when I had to get up at 5am.

kirbypuckett 11-29-2010 01:34 PM

I know everyone is talking about ice hockey, but I hate that there are no dek hockey leagues in the city proper. Pittsburgh Sports League does one, but it's co-ed and it's pretty hard to find 2+ girls willing to play hockey. I live in Lawrenceville and play at Bill's out in Rostraver and that drive to and from kills me sometimes.

I would think with how popular hockey is now it wouldn't be too hard to run a dek hockey league in Pittsburgh.

Mr Jiggyfly 11-29-2010 02:53 PM

This thread is depressing me...

I am moving back to Pgh when my baby is born next Spring and I know I'll go into hockey withdrawal when I'm back.

It's like night and day between living in Canada and Pgh in terms of hockey...

You step outside here in the Winter and have half a dozen rinks to play shinny on for free with sick players who are ridiculous... in Pgh you have to drive forever to find a rink and pay to play for an hour, with a bunch of puck hogs who think they got skills...

Wish it was different back home.

/whiny rant