HFBoards

HFBoards (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/index.php)
-   Columbus Blue Jackets (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/forumdisplay.php?f=31)
-   -   OT: Why is OSU mentioned in every thread? (http://hfboards.hockeysfuture.com/showthread.php?t=846934)

CrazyCanucks 11-28-2010 02:58 AM

Why is OSU mentioned in every thread?

Is there a reason why OSU football is continually brought up in BJ GDT threads?

I mean, I never see the Giants, Jets, Yankees, Mets mentioned in Ranger threads, or Lakers in Kings threads, or UNC/Duke in Carolina threads.
What is it about OSU that it needs to be mentioned all teh time on your board?
I am just trying to understand what the obsession is on a hockey board about a Uni's football team

joshjoshjosh 11-28-2010 03:14 AM

OSU football in Columbus is more popular than all the other sports teams in all the other cities that you mentioned, with the exception of the Yankees. "Buckeye-Fever", or whatever you want to call it, permeates the entire city in a way that isn't really describable to someone who hasn't lived there.

Viqsi 11-28-2010 03:22 AM

EDIT: Actually couldn't sleep 'cause I was worrying about this post. Sometimes it'd be easier just to not have a conscience. :)

Salient points:
* The Buckeyes are to Columbus as the Habs are to Montreal... only moreso, because the Buckeyes predate the Habs by a generation or so. (They've been around for 120 years.)
* There's some people who really, really don't like that. Any speculating on my part on the reasons why would likely get me infracted.
* They tend to react poorly to some of this stuff. Any attempt on my part to go into further detail would likely get me infracted.
* It therefore comes up unnecessarily and with excessive vitriol. Any attempt on my part to explain why it is that way would likely get me infracted.
* It's worse than usual this week. This is largely why any attempts on my part to provide better information would likely get me infracted.
* I can say that it's in part because of the new jerseys and the fact that this is a significant week for both teams. Any attempt on my part to outline further details as to why those matter would likely get me infracted.
* In conclusion, any continued attempts by me to write further on this subject would likely get me infracted.

I will therefore now quit before I do something that gets me infracted. :)

(Also, in order to attempt to offset the possibility of getting infracted by mentioning infractions so damn often - it's a commentary on my own frustration and self-control, not on the mods here. :) )

3074326 11-28-2010 03:28 AM

The Buckeyes are huge in Columbus. There are few towns this crazy about a team. They're just going to come up.

Double-Shift Lassť 11-28-2010 06:26 AM

Cripes! OSU is even mentione din ths thread and it wasn't even started by a local! Run folr your life! Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh

JF Omalycat 11-28-2010 06:45 AM

Montreal/Habs
Columbus/Buckeyes

Nothing else needs said.

Samkow 11-28-2010 07:57 AM

What thread's are you reading? I've seen 3, one of which was an OT Thread.

CrazyCanucks, another question about you. Is this one of those delightful times where you already know the answer and are merely trying to tell us how it should be?

pete goegan 11-28-2010 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Viqsi (Post 29220921)
EDIT: Actually couldn't sleep 'cause I was worrying about this post. Sometimes it'd be easier just to not have a conscience. :)

Salient points:
* The Buckeyes are to Columbus as the Habs are to Montreal... only moreso, because the Buckeyes predate the Habs by a generation or so. (They've been around for 120 years.)
* There's some people who really, really don't like that. Any speculating on my part on the reasons why would likely get me infracted.
* They tend to react poorly to some of this stuff. Any attempt on my part to go into further detail would likely get me infracted.
* It therefore comes up unnecessarily and with excessive vitriol. Any attempt on my part to explain why it is that way would likely get me infracted.
* It's worse than usual this week. This is largely why any attempts on my part to provide better information would likely get me infracted.
* I can say that it's in part because of the new jerseys and the fact that this is a significant week for both teams. Any attempt on my part to outline further details as to why those matter would likely get me infracted.
* In conclusion, any continued attempts by me to write further on this subject would likely get me infracted.

I will therefore now quit before I do something that gets me infracted. :)

(Also, in order to attempt to offset the possibility of getting infracted by mentioning infractions so damn often - it's a commentary on my own frustration and self-control, not on the mods here. :) )

Dear Sam and DSL,

Please infract her before she strikes again.

Thank you.

BluejacketNut 11-28-2010 08:55 AM

Its generally brought up by the OSUphobics who have an insecurity complex against the big brother in town, any mention of OSU gets a reaction of 'its a slap in the face' or 'how dare they mention OSU at THE Columbus Bluejackets hockey game'. But actually, I dont see it brought up much at all except when OSU gets a mention at a game which is generally only around a big event, such as the OSU/Michigan game, or bowl game

Heinze 57 11-28-2010 09:03 AM

Because Ohio State is a huge problem in terms of attendance, arena issues, and how people spend their sports entertainment dollar. There are some people, such as my girlfriend's dad, who won't watch sports unless it involves the OSU football or basketball teams. There are a lot of people like that in this city (a good percentage of whom never set foot in an OSU classroom). Ohio State is ingrained and the Blue Jackets are still new. Ten years really isn't that old when compared to how long OSU football has been a tradition.

I wish people were as whackadoo about the Blue Jackets as they are about Ohio State football. If they start to string together some deep playoff runs then this generation of kids and teenagers will be better, but the old crowd who hasn't grown up with the team hasn't been as eager to accept them, which I can't understand for the life of me.

I wish long time Columbus residents were more accepting of the Blue Jackets and dind't view them as an attack on Ohio State (because they aren't). I wish I didn't have to ask bars to put the Jackets game on. I wish we could sell-out a Panthers game on a tuesday when OSU basketball is playing at the same time. I wish we had gotten together on an arena like we should have.

but to answer your question, OSU is mentioned quite a bit because they are a big part of the Columbus sporting landscape and a lot of what they do affects the Blue Jackets.

SuperGenius 11-28-2010 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyCanucks (Post 29220842)

I mean, I never see the Giants, Jets, Yankees, Mets mentioned in Ranger threads, or Lakers in Kings threads, or UNC/Duke in Carolina threads.
What is it about OSU that it needs to be mentioned all teh time on your board?
I am just trying to understand what the obsession is on a hockey board about a Uni's football team

I only recall it coming up in the detroit thread. the reason there is simple. michigan is the big game around here and they were playing the night before...against a team from michigan. It's going to come up.

hip check 11-28-2010 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samkow (Post 29221572)

CrazyCanucks, another question about you. Is this one of those delightful times where you already know the answer and are merely trying to tell us how it should be?

Kind of what I was thinking.. Throwing a little more fuel on the fire here perhaps?

Robert 11-28-2010 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CrazyCanucks (Post 29220842)

Because real hockey fans are pissed that the SEC is the best conference and OSU rarely beats them in bowl games. Go Cocks.

:facepalm:

CapnCornelius 11-28-2010 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BluejacketNut (Post 29221933)
Its generally brought up by the OSUphobics who have an insecurity complex against the big brother in town, any mention of OSU gets a reaction of 'its a slap in the face' or 'how dare they mention OSU at THE Columbus Bluejackets hockey game'. But actually, I dont see it brought up much at all except when OSU gets a mention at a game which is generally only around a big event, such as the OSU/Michigan game, or bowl game

The most unbiased post ever. :sarcasm:

Some of us who didn't go to OSU and weren't raised in Columbus simply think its laughable that amateur athletics are treated as the pinnacle by a fanbase that largely did not go to the amateur institution in question. Its the sort of mentality that earns Columbus its "Cowtown" reputation.

The latest round of OSU-vs-Jackets wasn't started by "OSUphobics" it was started by the Buckeye fans, who themselves seem to have some sort of complex, freaking out because there was no red in the jersey. Seriously?! It isn't always about you Buckeye fans. It is as if they are afraid that if the Buckeyes aren't part of a given conversation they will suddenly be forgotten.

My bottom line--I come here to talk hockey, not amateur football. Buckeye fans, if you want OSU to be relevant to a discussion in hockey circles, here's an idea--try putting out a hockey team capable of making the Frozen Four. If those guys down in little old Miami of Ohio can do it, why can't you?

Samkow 11-28-2010 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CapnCornelius (Post 29223093)
The most unbiased post ever. :sarcasm:

Some of us who didn't go to OSU and weren't raised in Columbus simply think its laughable that amateur athletics are treated as the pinnacle by a fanbase that largely did not go to the amateur institution in question. Its the sort of mentality that earns Columbus its "Cowtown" reputation.

The latest round of OSU-vs-Jackets wasn't started by "OSUphobics" it was started by the Buckeye fans, who themselves seem to have some sort of complex, freaking out because there was no red in the jersey. Seriously?! It isn't always about you Buckeye fans. It is as if they are afraid that if the Buckeyes aren't part of a given conversation they will suddenly be forgotten.

My bottom line--I come here to talk hockey, not amateur football. Buckeye fans, if you want OSU to be relevant to a discussion in hockey circles, here's an idea--try putting out a hockey team capable of making the Frozen Four. If those guys down in little old Miami of Ohio can do it, why can't you?

Who on here is freaking out other then CrazyCanuck?

CrazyCanucks 11-28-2010 11:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Samkow (Post 29221572)

College and Uni sports is not big in Canada. Just fascinated why/how it is so huge in the states.

Viqsi 11-28-2010 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pete goegan (Post 29221850)
Dear Sam and DSL,

Please infract her before she strikes again.

Thank you.

Sam! DSL! Pete's tattling again!

Double-Shift Lassť 11-28-2010 11:48 AM

Question answered.